Character Romance Discussion

+
Why does their need to be a romance option in every game nowadays? Regardless of romance being a part of CP 2020, I don't think a romance option is going to benefit this game unless we get some serious game play utility from it, and not just eye candy.

yeah they should have some noticeable benefit in gameplay like in GTA except the writing should be way better.

Dont really care. I never exploit the romance path in video games and im not gonna start doing in in cp2077, so i couldnt care less

Well, I'm not really looking for romances in the game, I'm more interested in human relations in general being something to really look for. If romances would be something like BioWare's teenage bs or Bethesda's idea of marriage being that your spouse becomes your personal shopkeeper (seriously, WTF?) - then no, I don't want anything to do with that. But if it would be something actually shaping your game in a big way, then yes, please. Romances are this kind of relationship that can really influence the story as well as gameplay, and in a big way. Heck, even if you're playing a lone wolf, refusing (or not) a love-struck NPC can have an impact on your reputation and have other implications down the road (like perhaps said NPC can do something stupid, just to get your attention, and it will end up badly for both of you). It certainly can provide a large degree of variety, something to do besides the main story and doing other side quests. But only if it's well done.

I would kill for some optional romance in this game. Some good, detailed romances that are formed over the course of the game that include UST, mutual respect, and deep personalities for the love interests beyond "Attractive girl" and "Attractive guy". Same-sex romances would be great too, the players of this game won't be just heterosexual. In fact, do what Bioware did and make multiple romance options bisexual. I'm a big romance subplot fan, i love games that have them, especially if the romances are deep and well done. All romantic characters should be interesting, with unique personalities and quirks, with their own likes and dislikes.

I would kill for some optional romance in this game. Some good, detailed romances that are formed over the course of the game that include UST, mutual respect, and deep personalities for the love interests beyond "Attractive girl" and "Attractive guy". Same-sex romances would be great too, the players of this game won't be just heterosexual. In fact, do what Bioware did and make multiple romance options bisexual. I'm a big romance subplot fan, i love games that have them, especially if the romances are deep and well done. All romantic characters should be interesting, with unique personalities and quirks, with their own likes and dislikes.

i agree with everything you said ! I want this all

The type of "romance" that happens in cyberpunk universes generally keeps it out of the purview of ever being directly dealt with.

I mean were talking about a universe where PERVERTED terrible terrible stuff happens being acted out sexually. For me this video game is not the place to tackle/waste resources on this type of topic.

I'd prefer strong emotional ties developed and compromised/explored, but no overt "romance" system. A mature use of sexuality as a weapon - i.e seduction, yes should be included and explored.

But no "getting married" bullshit.

I want this.

You know, I have been thinking again... which is never a good sign...

What if... instead of (or at least in addition to) story based in game relationships or romances as some special event... you could merely "tag" any NPC for a relationship. The NPC you tag could be either someone from the story, or even just random person walking down the street.

Once tagged, the NPC will have a dialogue tree, allowing you to ask them out, "roll your seduction" if you will. If you are successful, then at that point you can choose to continue the relationship, and how serious it becomes... for instance you might choose to keep it platonic, then they are just your buddy, wherein you get their number, and can call them up to run around with you, ... If you choose a casual romance, maybe in addition to the number and hanging out with them, you can get a bit of the old in-out, in-out... If you choose to have a deeper relationship, maybe they move in to your safehouse, so in addition to calling them, and having them hang out with you, they are there hanging out at your house.

If they get killed while you are hanging out with them they are dead, so be careful where you take them, and how fast you drive with them with you.

You should be able to "Tag" multiple NPC's for relationships, but if you have too many, especially if they are hanging out in the house with you, then they have dialogue options where they get "jealous"and take off.

The difficulty for random NPC seduction should be varying, but it should be possible for just about anyone.

Of course logistically, from at least a resources viewpoint, the Dialogue trees for the NPC's would be pretty limited and repetitive, but no more so than the random comments and conversations of pedestrians as you pass them on the street in most sandbox games anyway... Hell, make most of the relationship dialogue trees for NPC's text based, then they eat up almost no resources at all, and this way you could even give them a number of distinct personality traits...

I don't think this would be all that hard to implement... if you look at a game like Saints Row where you have "homies" you can call to run around with you, or in SR2 where your cribs were always full of assholes and hookers, its not really much of a step from there. In San Andreas even you could randomly grab gang members and run around with a crew. In GTA 4 you could have girlfriends, but they were vapid and shallow, and you were limited in your choice...

With an option like this, when you see that sexy chick, or dude, walking along the beach, you could tag her/him... and the possibility to make them a friend or lover would become available to them.

Some storyline NPC's it should be possible as well, obviously some would have more inclination towards this angle as well.... For example Kinzie or Shaundi from SR, or Pierce if you play a female protagonist... where there is already flirtation... Then if they do die in the story, it is made all the more tragic...

Antagonistic NPC's would either not be possible to romance or befriend, or be near impossible... due to the whole they want to kill you thing... Although perhaps it should be an available option for some of them after they have completed their sections of the story inclusion, and survived of course. It would be cool to make friends or lovers out of former enemies and rivals...

Thoughts?

it sounds a bit mechanical to me
you just tag someone and then go through some dialog trees to get together, i don't know... it kinda destroys the excitement and suprise of a love interest for me if you could just romance a random person you see on the street
i prefer the romance in this game to be more as a part of the overall story or a well thought out sidequest

I love this world. I love it.

Wisdom I think your idea is terrific.

For an AI.

For humans, holy. It's about as romantic as fishing. NO, wait...fishing involves boats and water generally. So, LESS romantic than fishing. Well done.

I could see some under-the-hood method such as you employ, but with named and significant NPCs, invlolving actual plot lines.

What you are describing is some simulated method of hooking up. I guess. Shudder.

I love this world. I love it.

Wisdom I think your idea is terrific.

For an AI.

For humans, holy. It's about as romantic as fishing. NO, wait...fishing involves boats and water generally. So, LESS romantic than fishing. Well done.

I could see some under-the-hood method such as you employ, but with named and significant NPCs, invlolving actual plot lines.

What you are describing is some simulated method of hooking up. I guess. Shudder.

Meh it's a video game... and its cyberpunk... romance really isn't something I am too concerned with... but I really hate scripted romance in a video game... it always comes off as forced and trite, and the "other half" always comes off as annoying and vapid...

They did it just fine in TW2 without things getting smarmy. Whatever romance they end up doing I prefer if it's part of the story, not a random NPC. At any rate, I don't want to hear any bitching that they didn't cover all the 'options'. This isn't a dating sim.

Top Bottom