Cheapest GPU for 60fps with Ray Tracing?

+
Hi everyone,

I have recently heard that CDPR is working with nvidia to support raytracing (source), and I'm considering upgrading my PC.

I currently have i7 4770k with gtx 1060, but I'm not sure if thats enough for 1080p 60fps with ray tracing?

What would be some cheap GPUs to support that?

Thanks in advance.

The problem right now with ray tracking is that even rtx 2080ti can't really do it properly without huge fps hits which is why many people turn it off, results will vary with each game ofc.

Ray tracing with these first gen RTX cards are more of a sales gimmick than anything else. Now when the "super" rtx cards come out I think they may be different as they are what these first gen rtx cards should have been in the first place considering the ridiculous price tags on the rtx cards.

Your best bet is to simply wait till the game comes out then check see what new gpu are available and check out reviews on these new gpu and how well they work or not with RT enabled.

I agree with Danyel. It's also not a good idea to consider upgrading now, for the purpose of being able to play a game properly that's not out yet. Wait for the announcement of the system requirements, happening early 2020.

2060 obviously

and I wouldn't say it's a gimmick. Like with other games... maybe at the release it won't be best running and you will have to lower some things but with more optimization it will be better and better. Look at BFV. Playable in 1080p 60 with raytracing with 2070 and 2060. 2080Ti can do 4K 60. Or Metro Exodus, the most perfomance heavy and best looking ray tracing game, because it uses Global Illumination. At first it wasn't so good. Now after couple of months you can play the game in 4K 60 with ray tracing on. 2060 and 2070 will easily do 1080p 60 with ray tracing.

I got RTX 2070. At the release of Metro Exodus I could average under 60fps. It was jumping a lot 50-60. Now it's 70+. Check some newer videos on Youtube if you're not sure. But check the dates. There are lot of old videos when games were released. Try looking for recent ones. They will show better performance.

Last edited:

xer21

Forum veteran
Hi everyone,

I have recently heard that CDPR is working with nvidia to support raytracing (source), and I'm considering upgrading my PC.

I currently have i7 4770k with gtx 1060, but I'm not sure if thats enough for 1080p 60fps with ray tracing?

What would be some cheap GPUs to support that?

Thanks in advance.
well the 1060 doesn't and never will support ray tracing, and even a 2080 RTX isn't likely gonna give you 60 FPS WITH ray tracing unless significant improvements in drivers and the like happen between now and launch.

unfortunately, the answer is most likely, there isn't a GPU at all on the market that can do it, let alone a cheap one. if you aren't willing to invest 1000+ in a gpu, you're not getting ray tracing, for the most part.

Guest 2364765

If you are specifically geared towards having CP 2077 maxed out AND have RT (with preferably high settings) and have all of that do 60FPS at 1080 or even 4k then nothing on the market can do that, i'd imagine.

If you haven't jumped on RTX bandwagon yet then you can easily wait for next gen of the raytracing GPUs or even see what AMD will eventually have in store as that generation will obviously be stronger at both rasterization and RT tasks.

Also for clarity - raytracing on nvidia cards only works with true hardware acceleration on RTX gpus, what would you get on 10 series cards (also quite sure 1060 is NOT included in that) is software emulation of the entire process.

For reference, my 2070 runs Quake 2 RTX (fully pathtraced game) at around 60 fps maxed out at 1080p.
1070 does that at around 4-7 FPS.

For now i'd strongly advise against buying any of existing RTX2000 series GPUs as none of them will probably give you consistent 60 FPS with all maxed out settings with RT - maybe if you had the budget for two 2080Tis, the game supported SLI/NVLINK and it worked without any hitches known to the SLI but all of that is unlikely.

Also bear in mind that going by Witcher 3 case - the engine can become HEAVILY CPU bound in cities and CP2077 is pretty much just that - one big city.
So you'd also need to have one beefy CPU to not bottleneck you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The smartest thing to do is be patient until next year and wait for a couple things to happen first. First, there hasn't been any public demo from Nvidia or CDPR showing the comparison between ray tracing on and off so we don't know how significant the difference will be. Second we have CES and GTC which Nvidia likes to have their announcements so we'll need to see how the second iteration stacks up and the associated benchmarks to show relative performance. Third its probably best to let the game release and then look at a ton of benchmarks to make sure you're getting the correct hardware if you are making a big purchase specifically for this game.

Also it would be nice if when CDPR release recommended specs that they include ray tracing ones as well :)

@skacikpl Thanks again for great TW3 mods!

I’m close as far as PC specs to the OP with i7-4790 (non-K) and GTX970. Was going to only upgrade the GPU but the issue of CPU bottlenecks arises.
Will i7-4790 bottleneck those RTX cards (RTX2070 and upwards) at 1080p and a 60hz monitor? How do you think?

My Monitor is 3440x1440 so, yeah even if I had a 2080Ti I wouldn't be running with RTX on even if 2077 can do 1080p 60fps with it on. :)

As others have suggested. Now is the time to wait; get the game, play it a bit or wait for reviews and then decide if you need the RTX - it's what I'll be doing.

I’m close as far as PC specs to the OP with i7-4790 (non-K) and GTX970. Was going to only upgrade the GPU but the issue of CPU bottlenecks arises.
Will i7-4790 bottleneck those RTX cards (RTX2070 and upwards) at 1080p and a 60hz monitor? How do you think?
At 1080p I think you should be ok. But I wouldn't get anything higher than 2070 for 1080p 60Hz playing.

Guest 2364765

I do own a 2070 and 4770k and it works relatively okay outside really CPU intensive titles.

Top Bottom