Chippin' In by SAMURAI (Refused)

+
Thanks but I meant out in front of the motel when V is exiting the cab I probably should have been more specific lol
This and 'Chippin' In' are the only ones that got approved to be shown. For others we just have to wait for CDPR to publish them.

Edited with opinion:

This version of Chippin' In sounds like yelling and making noise at the microphone, not yelling and making noise to rebel against the system.
I don't feel a rage and rebellion, more like an annoyance.

Last edited:
I love rage against the machine and this version of chippin in clearly got inspired by their work, but sounds a little too soft to me. Don't know how to explain it. :shrug: It's not bad, though.

Blouses - Sleep Steady
I like this one better (except for those weird noises that sound like someone throwing up) and I'm not a fan of rap, at all. It sounds more aggressive.

I also liked the song before the scavenger fight, not my cup of tea but it had a very nice beat. I hope it's still there.

I love that CDPR is going for different genres, it's very important when you want to build a credible world.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Oh yeah, this is good stuff! Heavy, aggressive and surprisingly easy to listen to.

I think in 2077 the band "SAMURAI" continues to exist without Johnny Silverhand and their vocalist changed. in the gameplay 2018 plays a version of the song where the vocalist is still more Johnny

I like it :shrug:

Personally I prefer the old version but I think the new one might be more fitting given the character and setting.

Something tells me I am going to be playing this game with the music turned off ;)

Theres should be all kind of music, I think Witcher 3 had 30 tracks or so. This game goes near 100 I believe.
Post automatically merged:

I love rage against the machine and this version of chippin in clearly got inspired by their work, but sounds a little too soft to me. Don't know how to explain it. :shrug: It's not bad, though..

It has too slow tempo maybe?

Good morning, Night City! What better way to start your day off than with some killer riffs?

We’ve teamed up with Refused to bring the iconic band SAMURAI to life in Cyberpunk 2077 – and today we have their first track to share with you… here’s Chippin’ In!

PS You can also listen to Chippin’ In on Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, Tidal, Deezer and AmazonMusic!

Have you thought about making the SAMURAI singles (or some of them) available for download (FLAC) to GOG pre-order customers? This would be a nice extra and incentive to maybe even attract a few additional customers down the road.

Have you thought about making the SAMURAI singles (or some of them) available for download (FLAC) to GOG pre-order customers? This would be a nice extra and incentive to maybe even attract a few additional customers down the road.
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/...e-sound-and-voice-of-cyberpunk-2077s-samurai/

Gamers worldwide already got a taste of Refused’s work for CD PROJEKT RED’s upcoming open world, action adventure story, with SAMURAI’s Chippin’ In concluding the E3 2019 Cinematic Trailer for the game. Today, to celebrate the announcement, SAMURAI’s iconic track has been made available across select digital stores and streaming services.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/...e-sound-and-voice-of-cyberpunk-2077s-samurai/

Gamers worldwide already got a taste of Refused’s work for CD PROJEKT RED’s upcoming open world, action adventure story, with SAMURAI’s Chippin’ In concluding the E3 2019 Cinematic Trailer for the game. Today, to celebrate the announcement, SAMURAI’s iconic track has been made available across select digital stores and streaming services.

While Deezer is at least a streaming service that offers a lossless streaming format, I'm not interested in having my music streamed. I want to purchase the track in a FLAC or DSD format and put it on my Hi Resolution Sony WM1Z Audio Player. I'm really not interested in purchasing a highly compressed version of the track from iTunes, but that seems to be the only option, I either stream it from a high quality streamer or buy highly compromised compressed garbage and yes, 256kb itunes files are highly compromised compressed garbage.

Will there be an HQ soundtrack available at or with the launch of CP2077? Will this track find its way to a Hi-Resolution store like HDTracks? Or will we have to rely on quite frankly, terrible quality compressed nonsense, if we want to own an actual version of the track? (edited to correct a typo)

If RATM had no talent that is. That new version is the most run-of-the-mill shoutfest. Damn shame the 2018 version wouldn’t be even included in the soundtrack.

If you're looking for anything from punk or hardcore that is supposed to represent technical proficiency then you shouldn't listen to punk or hardcore.

If RATM had no talent that is. That new version is the most run-of-the-mill shoutfest. Damn shame the 2018 version wouldn’t be even included in the soundtrack.
Also all Zack Dela Rocha ever did was yell lmao the dude never sung at all so I don't get this comparison.

If you're looking for anything from punk or hardcore that is supposed to represent technical proficiency then you shouldn't listen to punk or hardcore.

I don’t listen to either of them. I prefer music with a melody and meaning.
Also all Zack Dela Rocha ever did was yell lmao the dude never sung at all so I don't get this comparison.

Neither did any worthwhile hip-hop artists, what’s your point? Also it’s not how he conveyed the message in his lyrics, it’s the message itself that I care about. In my opinion punk and hardcore fail to compare as far as quality of the subject matter goes.

Last edited:

Neither did any worthwhile hip-hop artists, what’s your point? Also it’s not how he conveyed the message in his lyrics, it’s the message itself that I care about. In my opinion punk and hardcore fail to compare as far as quality of the subject matter goes.

What subject quality do you want? Usually punk and hardcore have very strongly political roots and messages. Also the vocals follow a very clear melody and there's melody happening within certain parts of the song instrumentally as well lol The song fits the game extremely well in my opinion and I'm not the biggest fan of punk or hardcore myself but this is very very good. The raw production quality and tasteful sloppiness and loud distorted everything is so good and true to genuine punk and hardcore. You might not like the genre at all and that's okay but this is excellent within its niche and personally makes me want to look into Refused as a band.

It's music though so to each their own

As a semi professional musician, multi instrumentalist who makes a living in various scenes such as metal/hardcore etc...

You gotta understand that it's not just "screaming", you use harsh vocals as an instrument itself (kinda like in Death Metal), those music has to be "felt", not listened to (well, it does, but it's instinctive).

Those kind of scene have to be lived "live", you want to understand hardcore?
Go to a concert and check it by yourself, that's how you'll get an idea of what it's about.

Btw, most Punk/Hardcore concerts are "pay what you want", so don't worry to throw money either.

Musicaly, about hardcore, how do you convey anger, frustration and a need for change? Probably not by doing a Radiohead cover.
Now, going to see it live, you'll stumble in active places, with political and activists there, sharring flyers for various stuff (from " how to squat a vacant place legaly", "what to do if police arrest you?" to "how to grow a garden to be autonomous", " what can you do to help a victim of domestic violence" "how to spot sexism, racism and oppressive behavior and fight against such mentality", etc...) there are also people doing stuff to help foreigners, or just homeless.
Here we used an oooold house, inabitated, unowned to help homeless people, we did concerts, free food, movie projections, activity for kids, like painting and stuff, we made a place so they could sleep in security and tried to create a sense of community just to help people in the streets so they're not alone against a big mean world (how do you get a real job, a phone, etc.. If you don't have any basic mailing adress? Well, you don't, it's a real problem in our western countries, but most people don't know/care about that, last time I had to open a phone-line or open a bank account I had to give them papers that I couldn't ever had if I'd live under a bridge... think about that before telling an homeless person to "go find a job"), one day the authorities thought it was enought, police came, thrashed everyone out, confiscated the goods and destroyed the place...

We.just.helped.homeless.people.
(We tried to make a small peaceful protest, just to say " It's not cool to push down an action trying to help fragile people" and you had all the middle-class-nice-people on the sidewalk laughing at us and telling openly "lmao, look at them, they don't know what they protest for"...
Yeah, I hope those people will never have an hard time in life, losing everything, ending up in the street... It happens more often that you'd think...)

Again THAT'S NOT POLITIC, it's just a way of thinking that stick to the punk-scene.
Just like how Johnny Silverhand did when he was alive, giving his opinion on his world and trying to somehow talk about it, without telling you "who you should vote for".

So tell me how it fails to convey a message and action? Trust me, you'll want to yell your guts out when you will see those kind of scene happening again and again...

Now I didn't said that in any political way, but yeah, that's the roots of rap and hardcore. The street, the unity and helping each other (and as said, the most popular acts aren't the more "relevant" either in those scenes).

I find it more cringey when you have Bono talking about world peace when the dude is a fucking' millionaire living in his private island...

Even hip hop is in the same scheme, you have all the "top" sellout (Eminem spew sexist bullshit, snoop dog has nothing to say etc...) but go back to the roots, grandmaster flash, public enemy, etc... It had a meaning (and a lots keeps on trying to push a positive and meaningful spirit and lyrics).

Just don't judge those scenes as "its not music, etc..." its not true, it has it's codes which most of the time ends up in mainstream music (but if you dont interest yourself to it, you won't notice), and they do have much more impact on the everyday life than lady gaga, with her billions, wearing a meat dress...

Just... Try to understand the roots of those cultures (even if you don't agree with it, you're not forced to), at least not to sound like a grandpa which told kids that "rock music is satanic and Led Zeppelin isn't music, just random noise".

Or...
" video games turn you violent and are a waste of time" ;) ring a bell?

Kids will listens to stuff that you'll find weird, you're not forced to like it, but try to understand it.
It will get you further than just telling them that it's not music (grandpa's voice yelling at clouds).

Those street musics are a sonic translation of the "violence' of the streetlife, so of course they'll sound brutal.

Just like Nine Inch Nail were made fun of by the guys from Ministry "that dude is nice, but he never lived in the street under a cardboard and you hear it...", and you can compare the emotions between both bands, it doesn't sounds the same.

It doesn't mean that one is better than another, but music is art, a way to express feelings, so it's totaly legit to express your anger and your frustration of dealing with such hard life.

Also, trust me, it's obvious, a band with a real message and meaningfull lyrics, one to make you think and be like " fuck, that dude is right!"...
You won't hear them on the radio or on Tv...

All of that to say, from my experience, everything has a meaning, try to figure it out.
It's not because it doesn't "talk" to you that it's meaningless or lacking of quality.

You know what is meaningless and upsetting?
Famous celebrities doing "nice speeches" in their golden castles, with bodygards around and never, never, never hanging around the "low people", but giving them advice with their wealthy lifestyle...

Just like people ranting about "vegans" as if it was a new thing... It exist for decades if not a century, look it up.
Things never "pop" by themselves.

1568825615156.png

Every trees have roots

Now Refused isn't the most relevant or greatest hardcore band ever, but I'm happy that CDPR gave them some exposure, it's refreshing and show that they have some kind of understanding of that culture.

Because "politic" set aside, it's a culture.
All I wrote above isn't politic, it's a culture.
That you hang in Brasil, France, Germany, Poland, Russia, whatever, you'll stumble over those same scenes sharring the same culture, it's what punk identity is about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom