Chippin In - no old version planned

+
I really like Refused and consider "The Shape of Punk To Come" like a genre classic. Obviously its not for everyones tastes but I think its really cool they got a band like that in the game. I don't think a 20 second snippet is very representative of a typical Refused song either. They tend to put a lot of different sounds into songs.

So the new one is all cool with me. Not that they shouldn't release the old one as a bonus or whatever.... unless they literally only composed the bit that was heard in the demo and they don't want to waste time making a full song they aren't going to actually use.

Uh, not to me. I mean, the vocals a bit, if they lacked flavour.

Interestingly enough when Zack de la Rocha left RATM Tom Morello floated the idea to Rick Ruban of replacing him with Dennis Lyxzén who is the vocalist from the refused.

Last edited:
There seems to be two lines of thought here:

a) The 2019 version of "Chippin' In" isn't as good as the 2018 version, because it doesn't agree with my own musical tastes. I have that opinion unrelated of whether it fits better in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.

b) The 2019 version of "Chippin' In" fits better with Johnny Silverhand and the world of Cyberpunk 2077, than the 2018 version ever did. I have that opinion unrelated of whether it fits my musical tastes.

Are there people who actually LIKE the 2019 version better as a piece of music? Or do they only think it fits the world better?

Are there people who actually LIKE the 2019 version better as a piece of music? Or do they only think it fits the world better?

tbh i think both of them fits reeaally well and I love both types of genres. It's just surreal to me for them to step into the realm of extreme music. I can only remember Saint's Row: The Third licensing a Miss May I song on the in-game radio.

Last edited:
I think that even 2018 version fits to the universe and to Johnny. I mean... you can find some lyrics from P'n'P. And those lyrics were nicely used in the old version. But I can't imagine how they will be used in the new version. I think there might be a lot of P'n'P players who imagined those lyrics in completely different type of music than is the 2019 version.

But anything could happen. We don't know what happened between 2020 and 2077 until Red is released. And I have such a uncomfortable feeling like CDPR with CP2077 affected Red a lot. Like the Red is made so 2077 fits. And not that 2077 is made to fit to Red.
Like you have three puzzle pieces. Left one, middle one, right one. First was created the left one. It has first part of the picture and some kind of shape. Then they created right one, third part of the picture but it has different shape, but it can be what shape you want. And then they created the middle one, second part of picture, but the shape must fit to both other pieces.

I honestly don't know if this is the case but I'm hoping it isn't.

EDIT: well it is.

Why it's making me uncomfortable? Think about this. Mike could want 2018 version of Chippin In, he might have though it would fit to his Johnny. But CDPR said: "no, that's not how we want it in our time. We want different music. Let's do something in RED so it makes sense in our time."
And it's not just about song. I've heard that even some weapon designs changed from 2020 look. Why? I don't know. But in RED there will be something to make sense of it.
And Johnny's blond hair. Why it's black? Because they cast Keanu and with blond hair it wouldn't be Keanu or it would look bad? So let's put some reason in RED and gj.

Last edited:
This is an artist's choice, so i respect that... but i absolutely dislike the choice for the new sound of Johnny and the band.
I can only stand shouting very few seconds before hitting mute.
I've been there, i liked that style once, but that time is long gone, the good thing is... there's always the volume down when it kicks in, i even doubt it will be continuously shouting.

I wish plenty of pleasurable synchronicity between the game and the soul of those who like the style,
as for myself, even though i thought i would be listening to the band in jukeboxes or in my car, i will just switch on the radio to another style, there should be plenty to choose from.

It's a real shame they do not want to add this version (2018) to the game as an easter egg or as a bonus track on somekind of OST for the game......

I get very strong Rage Against The Machine / generic nu-metal vibes from the new version, which to me is the most embarrassing subgenre of rock.
It's no biggie though, just as long as the rest of the soundtrack is nothing like it.

There seems to be two lines of thought here:

a) The 2019 version of "Chippin' In" isn't as good as the 2018 version, because it doesn't agree with my own musical tastes. I have that opinion unrelated of whether it fits better in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.

b) The 2019 version of "Chippin' In" fits better with Johnny Silverhand and the world of Cyberpunk 2077, than the 2018 version ever did. I have that opinion unrelated of whether it fits my musical tastes.

since i like hard music in general, i dig 2019's version. i even listen to this on my way to work in my car (someone made it into a 2 min video on yt)

Hey, Chippin' In is finally on spotify!
Welp.. not exactly what I hoped, but part of me is proud of CDPR for sticking to their vision. I hope this version plays well in the scene they set it to be in. \,,/

2018 had more character, was more original. 2019 is fine, but quite generic to be honest.
I think CDPR should reconsider including both versions (old version as a remix by another band maybe), because why not?

Blupixel dug up the following:

Alright, so I'm much more appreciative of the new version now that it's not just a 30 second wall of sound and I can properly hear the whole of it. I judge a song mainly by the quality of its ebb and flow and I think the variation above isn't half bad!

The period of 0:14 through 0:48 has attitude and properly helps me get in the mood for the "louder" part that we've already heard before.

You could say I missed some foreplay earlier. Now that the song has a chance to properly seduce me, I don't mind it penetrating my eardrums.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see this as something that would Samurai from 2020 release.

It might fit to the 2077 universe... but not into the 80's style of 2020.

#NotMyChippinIn
Post automatically merged:

Well at least we have the answer.

Last edited:
I don't get why they can't leak the 2018 version even if it's not going to be in the game which I can respect but seems kind of odd they are trying so hard not to let us get a copy of it.

I wonder if someone could get the audio from the 48min gameplay video in the post above, by Johnysh, and just get the audio track and remove the voice of the guy that talking so we can have a copy for ourselves.

Yeah, I don't understand why they wouldn't ever release the old version. Is it just not finished? If so, I can respect that. But I doubt they'd put a halfway-done song in their demo, so they must have the files lying around somewhere.

Maybe they'll do it as an extra or a post-launch goodie if enough people ask. I understand if they don't want to do it pre-release because it may give people the wrong idea and lead to confusion ("Wait, I thought this version was Chippin' In? Whats this other unofficial nonsense?!")

Top Bottom