Chippin In - no old version planned

+
2018 had more character, was more original. 2019 is fine, but quite generic to be honest.
I think CDPR should reconsider including both versions (old version as a remix by another band maybe), because why not?

Exactly. For some reason they did do a makeover for both Yennefer and Triss character models due to public demand (even though the 2014 models were superior) yet with this they are resistant to even float the idea.

There seems to be two lines of thought here:

a) The 2019 version of "Chippin' In" isn't as good as the 2018 version, because it doesn't agree with my own musical tastes. I have that opinion unrelated of whether it fits better in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.

b) The 2019 version of "Chippin' In" fits better with Johnny Silverhand and the world of Cyberpunk 2077, than the 2018 version ever did. I have that opinion unrelated of whether it fits my musical tastes.

Are there people who actually LIKE the 2019 version better as a piece of music? Or do they only think it fits the world better?

Refused's version is awesome! Fits my preference and it fits in the game!

Can someone honestly explain to me why 2019 version fits better? Especially into the lore. Everyone says it fits better but it just fits the CP2077 and that's it. You know there's a lore? And according to that, Chippin' In was released before 2008. (CP universe year) There are even lyrics from it in 2020 book. And they are in no way similar. They just took something from Cyberpunk 2020 and completely changed it to fit their vision. So now Cyberpunk 2020 is irrelevant with this topic? Samurai band was discovered in 2003 and split up in 2008. This 2019 Chippin' In version is version made in 2077 because there's no way it's 2020. It should be a cover.

Change my mind. Or at least explain why the 2019 is the right version.

Early 2000's were basically alt-rock, nu-metal glory days. Punk AND popular (i know, a bit of an oxymoron there) like how Silverhand allegedly is in the lore. They probably looked to those times as musical inspiration, when punk-rock was at its greatest.

Exactly. Punk and popular. You want to tell me that this 2019 version style made it to the EuroCharts?

Like I don't know.. when I google some punk rock songs... nothing is so aggresive so screamy. Blink 182, Green Day, Paramore, My Chemical Romance. That's completely different.

This is some punk metal. Crossover Thrash maybe? That's a bit faster.

Exactly. Punk and popular. You want to tell me that this 2019 version style made it to the EuroCharts?

Like I don't know.. when I google some punk rock songs... nothing is so aggresive so screamy. Blink 182, Green Day, Paramore, My Chemical Romance. That's completely different.

Yea, I think maybe Linkin Park (they even had some very popular pop songs among heavier tracks), Rage against the Machine.. Something like that. But that's just one track, not enough to get the whole picture. It's definitely something that would be better received in the 2000's than now, but i think that's also half the point? And Silverhand is, well, punk AND popular, isn't he? That first song wasn't punk though, more like glam-rock. I love Green Day, but they've never given me that rebellious vibe Silverhand is so famous for.

This is some punk metal. Crossover Thrash maybe? That's a bit faster.

Could be, i guess. It's aggressive, vocally and instrumentally. It fits a rebellious counter-culture. Could that make it to the EuroCharts? Maybe, if enough people are looking for someone to channel their rage and dissatisfaction. . . i can see that becoming pretty popular

Last edited:
I think in 2077 the band "SAMURAI" continues to exist without Johnny Silverhand and their vocalist changed. in the gameplay 2018 plays a version of the song where the vocalist is still more Johnny

I think in 2077 the band "SAMURAI" continues to exist without Johnny Silverhand and their vocalist changed. in the gameplay 2018 plays a version of the song where the vocalist is still more Johnny
Well one member has fried brain. The other works in TV news I think, reporter probably. The other is in band Mastermind and Johnny and other member went solo.

I truly still think both versions should exist. Reading some of the stuff that R.Talsorian has put out has made me think a bit. I'm not sure that Silverhand was supposed to be some true punk metal band. He was known as a rocker boy so maybe something between rock and punk. But what I would like to believe is that the original reveal for Chippin In from 2018 game-play was supposed to be the original that would fit the year 2020. The newer released version which is more punk rock and rebellious would fit the world of 2077 especially it seems Samurai and Silverhand are basically held at legend status.

The reason that I would believe that the 2018 release would be the true version is because maybe over time music changes. Look at rock. 70's/80's rock is not quite the same as it is now. I would expect the taste in music would change in 50 years. The other thing is that between that time there were Corporate wars. And if I am remembering some of the snips of history for the game that came out from R.Talsorian information was lost (internet is not free anymore in 2077). Meaning that the corporations control servers and the internet that seem to be in pockets now on the surviving cities.

So maybe the original song got lost and with the Legend status that is Samurai and Silverhand known as the people who had risen up against the corporation the main beat of the song was lost to which we have the current release.

The other thing I can believe is that maybe the corporations got control of the original song as I'm sure inspired people to rise up and took steps to try to delete it from the web. This would then coincide to my previous belief that it was recreated but has lost the original tune.

Last opinion that I would have about this is that cause music and people changes over time is what made the song change to what it is now. That and the thought of what some people are doing to create deep fakes today could possibly remix/change the tune to what the populous are more accustomed to.

So overall I just try to see them as representations of the times that they could have originated from. Thoughts? Corrections to my assumptions to what the history was/could be?

lol complains about punk music, in a game with punk in it and wants a softer tone...even though its supposed to be a rebel song.

I bet someone already said something similar to what I want to say, but didn't see anything on the first pages and I just feel like venting a bit to.
Redundancy are saying a bit of what I'm thinking but not all.

I prefer the 2018/2020 (it's the lyrics from the pen and paper) song when it comes to my taste in music, but with that said, I think the new one is way better for this game (and it's story?).
First and most important point to make here is the change in lyrics from the 2020 Chippin' in. It's two different songs and the meanings of the lyrics sounds different. The old one is mostly full of references to metal in different ways, but this new one is mostly about fighting and war.

Sounds like it's Johnny (or someone) that made a new song. Maybe Johnny is angry and made a more angry song or someone did a new song to rally people for a fight? Don't know, but I'm 100% sure that CDPR knows what they are doing and have a reason for it.
I can understand that people want the old song, but the lyrics are out and I bet someone can do a cover on it with the music sample we got from the trailer. But don't get angry at CDPR just because you don't get a full release of a song they maybe just made a demo of, and I bet it's some legal reason as well in there.

So don't think of it as they just replaced the song, it's a new song, different lyrics and different style, and this for a reason I would guess. The old one still exist in the world, just not getting a release. Who knows, maybe it's even in the game still and someone will rip it from the game files later.

Sorry for the long post, just get sad to see all the hate on this topic. Focus it on stuff that's big and matters, why care about a song so much that some say they will cancel preorders because of it?

I bet someone already said something similar to what I want to say, but didn't see anything on the first pages and I just feel like venting a bit to.
Redundancy are saying a bit of what I'm thinking but not all.

I prefer the 2018/2020 (it's the lyrics from the pen and paper) song when it comes to my taste in music, but with that said, I think the new one is way better for this game (and it's story?).
First and most important point to make here is the change in lyrics from the 2020 Chippin' in. It's two different songs and the meanings of the lyrics sounds different. The old one is mostly full of references to metal in different ways, but this new one is mostly about fighting and war.

Sounds like it's Johnny (or someone) that made a new song. Maybe Johnny is angry and made a more angry song or someone did a new song to rally people for a fight? Don't know, but I'm 100% sure that CDPR knows what they are doing and have a reason for it.
I can understand that people want the old song, but the lyrics are out and I bet someone can do a cover on it with the music sample we got from the trailer. But don't get angry at CDPR just because you don't get a full release of a song they maybe just made a demo of, and I bet it's some legal reason as well in there.

So don't think of it as they just replaced the song, it's a new song, different lyrics and different style, and this for a reason I would guess. The old one still exist in the world, just not getting a release. Who knows, maybe it's even in the game still and someone will rip it from the game files later.

Sorry for the long post, just get sad to see all the hate on this topic. Focus it on stuff that's big and matters, why care about a song so much that some say they will cancel preorders because of it?

Yeah I understand that. I accept that 2019 version fits the 2077.

We'll see how the other songs will be. They said that not only Chippin In from books will come out.

Hey, but what I just noticed... The vinyl covers.

And look at the cover from CDPRs Samurai

The original holds guitar. The probably not original some box. So there could be something happening.

The original holds guitar. The probably not original some box. So there could be something happening.
Maybe the new Samurai band is one that wants to ride the success of the original one.
Johnny finds out and he is getting angry and needs V's help to kick the ass of some wannabe punks.

Maybe the new Samurai band is one that wants to ride the success of the original one.
Johnny finds out and he is getting angry and needs V's help to kick the ass of some wannabe punks.
It might. Problem is that I found out that the holding guitar cover is for Never Fade Away and that's not name of the album but a song. So it might be just a cover for the song.
Post automatically merged:

So I found out that the 2019 version actually could fit the genre. Chrome rock. Chromatic Rock - punk rock, deathrock, extreme metal. It definitely fits deathrock and extreme metal.

But even 2018 version fits. Punk rock. Early 2000's.

It depends on the frontman which genre will be in the forefront.

Still there are the lyrics of Chippin In. This song isn't probably made to make you fuck shit up. It's about metal, being augmented. At least that's what I think after reading the lyrics from source books. And I just don't see Johnny from 2020 going around wanting to destroy shit. Look at him now in 2077. That's the Johnny who would do that. The one who would want city to burn.

Last edited:
I'm well aware that the 2019 version fits the game better, I won't deny that.

But as a song, I don't enjoy it at all. I don't care if it's supposed to make me feel pumped up or rebellious, if I hear that on the game radio, I will switch it off right away.

This is why it'd be cool of them to release the 2018 version in the future, because it actually sounds like a song I'd listen to in real life.

The 2019 version only fits the Keanu reveal, while 2018 version sounds very organic within the game. Besides the 2018 version has the correct lyrics from CP2020.

Last edited:
Every where i seen people liked the 2018 version a lot more and I wish they would release it so we could buy the song, the new version is good but nothing like the first version.

Top Bottom