Chippin In - no old version planned

+
Every where i seen people liked the 2018 version a lot more and I wish they would release it so we could buy the song, the new version is good but nothing like the first version.

I agree wholeheartedly but kids on reddit love them some temper tantrum “look-at-me-I’m-cool” crap from E3 2019.

On reddit it looks like it's also split 50/50. I posted poll that has been even here about Chippin In and it's similar.

Well what do you know, I guess not all is lost then. Hopefully CDPR notices the appreciation of the 2018 song and includes it in the game or at least releases the full version of it.

It’s just my post on Reddit where I openly expressed my dislike for the 2019 version has been downvoted to oblivion.

Well what do you know, I guess not all is lost then. Hopefully CDPR notices the appreciation of the 2018 song and includes it in the game or at least releases the full version of it.

It’s just my post on Reddit where I openly expressed my dislike for the 2019 version has been downvoted to oblivion.
Yeah they downvote every complain about the game. EVERY ONE.

I've given up on trying to hold any form of discussion on Reddit, at least in relation to this game.

On the forums, if someone disagrees with you, they have to say so and tell you why (usually). There's no magical downvote button that can send people's posts to the bottom because the hivemind (or even 5% of it) disagrees.

Anyway, let's not go on a Reddit bashing spree. Different platform for a different type of person, I guess. Glad to see the split is 50/50 across communities.

If it's not included in the game, it should at least be included as an easter egg or ghost track at the end of the OST. Or, who knows, maybe in the credits. I think it sounds a bit too Whitesnake for what Samurai is supposed to be, and doesn't fit too much the look of Keanu as Johnny Silverhand, but I do like how the lyrics were the original ones from the PnP lore. This new one transmits a lot of the rage that I want in Cyberpunk, and it's very good, but I don't like that they did away with most of the lyrics. I like all of the new lyrics, but I wish it only added, instead of discarding.

It's a reimagining and these things should be expected. As much as I love this RATM approach and it would be closer to how I would portray a highly political rockerboy, and as cheesy as the old one may be, I too find it kind of sad that not only did the old version not make the cut but it's being pushed aside this way. But hey, it's the decision of the creators.

I believe a song shouldn't align with my taste to serve the narrative. It's part of the character. It needs to be something explosive and rebellious. 2018 is too hipster.

I have to adjust my opinion a bit.

The full song (new version) thats up on youtube now sounds better to me than what was shown at e3.

I can live with that one. Still like the older one a bit more.

Well one member has fried brain. The other works in TV news I think, reporter probably. The other is in band Mastermind and Johnny and other member went solo.
I think the game is based on "cyberpunk 2020"
but does not continue its history but interprets it.

in the board game, Johnny died under the collapse of the arasaka building. quote from cyberpunk wiki: Johnny, alongside Morgan Blackhand assault the Arasaka HQ in Night City, with the intention of ending the Fourth Corporate War. Johnny is seemingly killed by the full-borg Adam Smasher, cut down by an auto shotgun. Johnny's body is not recovered by the Assault team, and after the HQ is destroyed by the Nuke, it can only be assumed his body is vaporized.

and in "cyberpunk 2077" everyone says that Johnny is missing.
and the building "arasaka" still stands

I think the game is based on "cyberpunk 2020"
but does not continue its history but interprets it.

in the board game, Johnny died under the collapse of the arasaka building. quote from cyberpunk wiki: Johnny, alongside Morgan Blackhand assault the Arasaka HQ in Night City, with the intention of ending the Fourth Corporate War. Johnny is seemingly killed by the full-borg Adam Smasher, cut down by an auto shotgun. Johnny's body is not recovered by the Assault team, and after the HQ is destroyed by the Nuke, it can only be assumed his body is vaporized.

and in "cyberpunk 2077" everyone says that Johnny is missing.
and the building "arasaka" still stands
Well apparently it does continue its history. Well there will be Cyberpunk RED that will connect both.. ages, eras, whatever. It's 57 years and future. Night City has been rebuilt.

If I'm not mistaken Mike said Johnny and Morgan survived but the Smasher didn't. I think someone posted video here somewhere on forum where Mike said that.

Things will be explained in Cyberpunk RED it describes what happened between 2020 and 2077.

Honestly, for me the new one is kind of empty sounding. It just sounds like there is no emotion put into it, which, is sort of sad to say. The new one honestly sounds like it is a corporate cash grab of an original. Hell-I mean, obviously the new one could fit in 2077 better, But, when I think about Johnny Silverhand it most definitely doesn't fit him- and it doesn't even fit the lyrics of the original.
But I think it is pretty obvious it doesn't fit my musical tastes at all, in general I think the 2019 version isn't a very good song.
Though, I'm really bias here, and I get people express themselves in different ways, and maybe to someone else- the new version was a masterpiece to them.

Just a quick addition after I posted: To me, the old one really registers something that the new one doesn't. The mind, and the soul. The new one seems more about brute physicality, and mindless chest thumping, at least in my mind. But, in a world where anyone can modify themselves to be anything (for the most part), Physicality does not matter. Your outer shell is just a mask at that point over who you really are. It hides your insecurities or inadequacies from the outside world, but, to me- the old one is closer to what the actual mind, or 'heart' (If that wasn't modded or replaced lol) of a person. It is the real root of what makes a person- a person- not your sweet shiny arm, not your blonde hair, or new black hair, but your thoughts and feelings.

To me the old one could really ooze warrior poet- especially considering he is (or was) and ex-soldier, of the second central american conflict. The new one is trying to sound tough, the old one to me could easily come from someone who has actually seen some shit.

Last edited:
While the newer version is punk, so is the older one and I think it is the better punk song.

2019 ver. just seems so generic for a Punk song, I feel i've heard that song a million times before where it's just vapid yelling that doesn't have the punch you'd expect in it's lyrics, if you could lower the growl I think it'd sound unmistakeable from a Beastie Boy's song. The problem is it's trying too hard to sound punk and not trying hard enough to say something punk which I have always felt was the true soul of punk. Holiday in Cambodia is sarcastically lighthearted in it's tone but you know damn well what it's trying to say.

2018's though starts off slow and stresses the emotion in the voice 'cracking' and makes me think that Johnny knows there is a lot more to being cyber-enhanced than the power it gives, especially in a world where Cyber-Psychosis is real. That slow song then builds up in speed as well and begins to reach a tempo and loudness that 2019 ver has, however it earned those growls.

@Inviktys17
Well put. At this point I'd (almost) kill to hear a full version of the 2018 song.

To describe my own view, the old song unfolds gradually and in powerful fashion, figuratively touching the soul, huge impact, whereas the new one may seem superficially punky but pales in comparison (no offense, band), almost like a cheap superficial consumption product with yelling thrown in.

I'm not necessarily saying the song is bad, by all means, perhaps it's a subjective preference here, too. But I think in comparison to the old one, it pales.

I'm so sad I will (probably) never get to hear the full version of 2018 Chippin' In, I think the 2019 version is decent, but god dammit the 2018 version has been stuck in my head ever since watching the gameplay demo in 2018.

I... just... CANNOT get the song out of my head!

Not putting it in the game I can live with, but refusing to listen to us and not releasing it somewhere for us to just listen to really disappoints me.

It is the first time I have ever been disappointed in CDPR.

*Humming away in 2018 Chippin' In*

I'm thinking about the orignal Band that played it.
I really wonder why you'd seriously want to silence their piece of music ?
What's really up CDPR ?

It's obvious that you contacted several group of people to make them write (even if it's already written in the book), create and perform their own version of this particular song, (Where propably Mike Pondsmith had his final words to say at the end), then determine which one "won".
These guys were certainly so proud to be featured in your demo, and seeing people already lovin' it at the time. (reminder)
They have a great hit !! Their Chorus is massive, totally fits Johnny Silverhand / Keanu's rock side, it's a shame to silence it like that :(

They already won by being a part of it, but you left them without nothing...
A Cover, it's just as simple as that, what do you expect will happen in 2077 ?
Yeah, Stairway To Heaven Punk'n'Blues :)

At this point, it's up to the Band now to voice their own will to do it again & release it as a Cover to the "new" original.

But let's be honest a second : Hiding WHO the Band is... so WE CAN'T find anything about them...
That's fucking Evil man, Why woud you do that ? lol

Real people, a real band with a great song, ripped & shutted off because of copyright reasons... that you already own anyway :(
Or maybe that's just bad will.
We liked what they did.

PS : The community might even be ready to edit the song on Pro Tools for the band.

I'm thinking about the orignal Band that played it.
I really wonder why you'd seriously want to silence their piece of music ?
What's really up CDPR ?

It's obvious that you contacted several group of people to make them write (even if it's already written in the book), create and perform their own version of this particular song, (Where propably Mike Pondsmith had his final words to say at the end), then determine which one "won".
These guys were certainly so proud to be featured in your demo, and seeing people already lovin' it at the time. (reminder)
They have a great hit !! Their Chorus is massive, totally fits Johnny Silverhand / Keanu's rock side, it's a shame to silence it like that :(

They already won by being a part of it, but you left them without nothing...
A Cover, it's just as simple as that, what do you expect will happen in 2077 ?
Yeah, Stairway To Heaven Punk'n'Blues :)

At this point, it's up to the Band now to voice their own will to do it again & release it as a Cover to the "new" original.

But let's be honest a second : Hiding WHO the Band is... so WE CAN'T find anything about them...

Real people, a real band with a great song, ripped & shutted off because of copyright reasons... that you already own anyway :(
Or maybe that's just bad will.
We liked what they did.

PS : The community might even be ready to edit the song on Pro Tools for the band.
You bring up some good points, but I don't think CDPR's overall reasoning has anything to do with wanting to be evil, or just generally wanting to be jackarses.

They're cool folks for the most part, and I wouldn't rule out them releasing the original cover after the game releases (to cut down on confusion), or at least let the band do it, and perhaps disclose their name.

The first one is definitely more chill. I prefer that version too :ok:

First one is much funnier to listen but I think second works much better as playing the game, as theres other stuff to think too etc.

Samurai is Hardcore Punk band, it fits to the world like a nose to head. Rock, Hard Rock, Pop or Metal wouldnt make any sense to me.

Sorry, but the new version just lacks...I dunno, a soul, I suppose? I can't place my finger on it but it leaves me hollow except for a lingering feeling of disdain, and that's bad because I actually like that type of music.

Sorry, but the new version just lacks...I dunno, a soul, I suppose? I can't place my finger on it but it leaves me hollow except for a lingering feeling of disdain, and that's bad because I actually like that type of music.

Shouldnt dystopia sound like soulless? I would be pissed off, if there was shuffle music for example, or some brazilian tango. If CRPR manages to create music what sounds like "forgotten" it should work just fine.

Hiding WHO the Band is... so WE CAN'T find anything about them...
I don’t think the 2018 was made by any real band. I thought that the main composer (Marcin Prybilowisz) made that with maybe an additional singer.

Samurai is Hardcore Punk band, it fits to the world like a nose to head. Rock, Hard Rock, Pop or Metal wouldnt make any sense to me.
Correct me if I’m wrong but Johnny Silverhand is an 80’s inspired rockerboy not punkerboy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom