Chippin In - no old version planned

+
OMG. That's an essay

That’s what we used to do a lot during English at the University, writing essays. They do help form one’s thoughts into a cohesive logical piece.
I just enjoy most kinds of music.

I enjoy a lot of different kind of music but those that I don’t like I hate with a passion.

I don't judge, I like Michael Bolton

I like Enigma.

As for everything else, we must agree to disagree :)

Indeed.

@Sardukhar the good old resident devil’s advocate. Alternative thinking is banned even for CDPR mods?
Post automatically merged:

FYI I feel exactly the same
I did see Samurai as a chrome/hard rock band, mostly because they are described as a hard, fast rock band, but hey, how it goes.

I did like the original lyrics more, though. Seemed more Cyberpunk.

And I was with you 100% until this.
I think the old version must remain gone in order for the new vision to flourish

To make all people happy, they can put the old version as a "cover". It's been 50 years since the track was recorded and someone covered it in a different style.
I really like this idea. :D

The non-screaming version doesn't deserve to be entirely scrapped. I get that visions change during development, but... I'd take singing over screaming any day of the week.

To make all people happy, they can put the old version as a "cover". It's been 50 years since the track was recorded and someone covered it in a different style.

We dont know if they both are in the game. I think it would be quite fun if the music progressed through the game, they could start with some depressing stuff and siowly turn into more inspiring etc. Radio statitons gotta be on "live" if you know what I mean, music/bands are huge deal in Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity...how did you get "rap" out of the 2019 version? :shrug:

How did I get that, its because i have heard around 10 to 15 rappers sing in that specific way, of course this was around year 2000 when i went exploring into the rap genre, how did i get into rap it was of course with eminen, and sadly i went looking to see what else i could find, and at the time it was not so easy as it is today, yeah some rappers were very nice and the melodies were fantastic others, well lets just summarize and said they had issues.

I also ended up exploring a lot of other genres before, rock has always been my favorite, sadly will this convince you that my point it's right, most probably it will not, why, because it is a matter of taste and really if the fellas at CDPR goes for the screaching singer i will turn off the music from the game and play without music, it would not be the first game i do this about, so at the end of the day, the only thing i can do is just to show my support for the old song and hope that the people at CDPR change their decision and at least put the old song into the game, so at the end of the day my post is not about trying to prove anybody wrong, is more of showing my support for the old song and ask CDPR to please add it into the game.

I hope this answer your question on how i got rap from it, mostly is from past experience, will this convince you, i really don't think so, oh and if you ask me the names of those "rap artists" i have absolutely no idea, i explored the rap genre almost 20 years ago and the only thing that i got from it was that eminen is the only rapper i like to listen and only like 5 or 10 of his songs, not even all of them, there has been other rappers that were interesting but very few of them grabbed my attention, and if i was to name some other rap artists i could only name a few of the most famous ones.

Now if we talk about rock that would be a different situation, in any case conversation for another day.

I still hope the old songs gets added to the game.

I also ended up exploring a lot of other genres before, rock has always been my favorite, sadly will this convince you that my point it's right, most probably it will not, why, because it is a matter of taste and really if the fellas at CDPR goes for the screaching singer i will turn off the music from the game and play without music, it would not be the first game i do this about, so at the end of the day, the only thing i can do is just to show my support for the old song and hope that the people at CDPR change their decision and at least put the old song into the game, so at the end of the day my post is not about trying to prove anybody wrong, is more of showing my support for the old song and ask CDPR to please add it into the game.

Samurai is just one band, theres lots of other music too, maybe other bands too. Witcher 3 had about 40 songs, I think I read somewhere Cyberpunk has over 100 tracks.

I like all kinds of music...that said I tend to prefer clean over scream when it comes down to voice.

I do like some scream however I find that nowadays there is far too much of it and the problems stems from the fact that it's hard to do right and still have "soul" or that "je ne sais quoi" which has led to lots of scream bands that frankly just suck but hey it's scream so lots of the young one's think, man that's hardcore or criss ca buche en tabarnac mec!

I think that's my issue here, the clean version is a better quality of clean than the scream is of scream so to speak.

I liked the old one much better. It had something that the new one lacks totally "Pacing."
I know is supposed to rally people in to rebellion but the best thing would had been having a crescendo that in the end would boring the rage and the scream.

The new one is just someone screaming at the microphone it has not charisma at all.

Take Marylin Manson as example. In his songs there is always a crescendo than then evolves in screams and yelling.

Guest 4310777

Neither version is great. The 2018 version is completely inappropriate for the context, the lore dictates the song should (logically) be aggressive and punk sounding. The 2019 version fits, but you can tell it was made for a video game.

There is no faking authenticity when it comes to music, especially with more emotional and extreme genres like punk and metal, these "pretend" songs will always sound flat and uninspired compared to "honest" expressions of emotions like pain and anger.

That being said, it still sounds "good enough" for me. No doubt there will be an enormous variety of music in the game to suit everyone. If enough people want a copy of the 2018 version, I'm sure CDPR will make it available somewhere.

That being said, it still sounds "good enough" for me. No doubt there will be an enormous variety of music in the game to suit everyone. If enough people want a copy of the 2018 version, I'm sure CDPR will make it available somewhere.

I agree, tho, it's still pretty nice they asked Refused to make the song, rather than a "cool kid" band that'll disapear in 2years.
Refused has an history and a solid reputation in the punk/Hardcore scene, I hope we'll get other "nice" suprises like that.

I liked the old one much better. It had something that the new one lacks totally "Pacing." I know is supposed to rally people in to rebellion but the best thing would had been having a crescendo that in the end would boring the rage and the scream.
The new one is just someone screaming at the microphone it has not charisma at all.

Well... That's hardcore (punk) for you.
It's usualy harsh, violent and angry... Because it's supposed to convey the hard life of the street.
Would you put some Coldplay over some gang beating each other while bums snort crack on the pavement behind them?
Wouldn't really fit.

Last hardcore concert I went to, my right cheek were split open by a high kick from a dude making some KDS dancing...
(Thanks Pollux about that if you read me...)

That's a part of the scene.
It's brutal, violent, engaged, political, etc... Pure sweat, anger and blood, Been like that for decades.
Fits the Johnny Silverhand personna, I'd rather see him in a Hardcore band rather than a "mainstream" one.
"Johnny's music became explicitly political after Samurai's break-up, when a rival label unearthed the truth of his desertion and tried to blackmail him into signing with them. Instead he went public, owning up to his past and releasing a solo album called SINS of Your Brothers about his experiences as a soldier. It forced the government to own up to its wartime atrocities, and made him even more famous."
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/johnny-s...backstory-makes-him-perfect-for-keanu-reeves/

The "Chrome Metal" concert are described kinda like hardcore show, bunch of angry punks beating each other to pulp on a frantic beat, pretty far from something "nicely musical".

Take Marylin Manson as example. In his songs there is always a crescendo than then evolves in screams and yelling.

I get your point, but you're talking from a pure "musical" perspective.
You need to see this as a way of life.
Hardcore and punk aren't just some fancy clothes etc... There's some integrity and a rage in it, calling over injustices and real stuff, it's not just music, it's a scream from the street, that's where the Hardcore punk came from (Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Bad Brains, etc...) it's underground and angry, that's basicaly more fitting to Cyberpunk than Marilyn Manson which is seemingly more interested into having his cocaine around than being aware about the state of the world. (even Trent Reznor who produced his albums descibed him as a mean and manipulative person, only interested by his own success).
Also there are tons of subculture into the Hardcore genre, from punk, to grindcore, to straight edge, skinhead, etc...
It's really a "social" musical movement, the message comes before the music (reason why often... the music sucks)
Even in the sub-subcultures you have different branches, you have the casual skinheads (nice guys in most parts, listening to Oi, ska, hardcore, etc...), the boneheads (the racists one, with hatecore, Rac, etc...).
it's really not just about the music, it has a whole history behind it and I really find it interesting that CDPR pushed that forward, kudos for them!
I really expected something like that for the cultural part of Night City. It's more than music, everywhere you'll go in the world, you'll stumble over peope sharring the same value and ideas as you, it's really a culture in it's own.

Also, Marylin Manson has a bigass record label and has access to a bigass recording studios, punk and hardcore are more "Do it yourself", it comes from the street, that's why IMO Refused is a good choice (even if they're not the best hardcore band in my book, but at least it really fit the "tone" of how the song should sounds like)

I mean, take "our" world, and how the underground is.
Take "Cyberpunk"'s world; in 2077, a shitty world slowly dying, and imagine how brutal and "not giving a fuck" the underground culture would be.
I guess it would be pretty brutal and nasty.
You don't want to sing about flowers and make cute creshendos when you live in a dumpster and starve to death haha.

Last edited:
Neither version is great. The 2018 version is completely inappropriate for the context, the lore dictates the song should (logically) be aggressive and punk sounding. The 2019 version fits, but you can tell it was made for a video game.

There is no faking authenticity when it comes to music, especially with more emotional and extreme genres like punk and metal, these "pretend" songs will always sound flat and uninspired compared to "honest" expressions of emotions like pain and anger.

To be brutally honest, I completely agree with this. DMC 5 got the deathcore band Suicide Silence to do a soundtrack for the game and it was poorly received by fans. Bands "directed" to make music for video games will never be as good as the ones they make for themselves. The 2019 ver. fits great for a punks-storm-Arasaka kind of scene. But still, the composition felt kind of rushed probably due to the fact, well.. it's a whole Samurai EP in just one year. I'll be content cause I'm confident they'll put it in the perfect context anyway.

Guest 4310777

To be brutally honest, I completely agree with this. DMC 5 got the deathcore band Suicide Silence to do a soundtrack for the game and it was poorly received by fans. Bands "directed" to make music for video games will never be as good as the ones they make for themselves. The 2019 ver. fits great for a punks-storm-Arasaka kind of scene. But still, the composition felt kind of rushed probably due to the fact, well.. it's a whole Samurai EP in just one year. I'll be content cause I'm confident they'll put it in the perfect context anyway.

Suicide Silence are my fav deathcore band and I had no idea they worked on DMC5 lol Then again, I haven't really followed their work post Mitch. I haven't played the game yet either, but it looks cool.

I mean, take "our" world, and how the underground is.
Take "Cyberpunk"'s world; in 2077, a shitty world slowly dying, and imagine how brutal and "not giving a fuck" the underground culture would be.
I guess it would be pretty brutal and nasty.
You don't want to sing about flowers and make cute creshendos when you live in a dumpster and starve to death haha.

I expect Cyberpunk's underground to be more spiritual to be honest. Poor and people out of their luck have nothing else left than their faith. if you are brutal and full of anger I think Corps, and Gangs have room for you.

Its just how CDPR does things, we gotta see their vision. Theres so many path they can take. Theres so many damn layers to it, Corps, Gangs, Underground, Poor, Wealthy, Average Joes etc. One could sink probably 500 mill into Cyberpynk if wanted.

Last edited:
Well don't know if this theme is over but i found this...

i like both versions. But this one is my favorite.
I have seen a vote has been made too and even if there were not even 60 votes, the old one won.
So i hope the old one will find some how the way into the game. As a 2020 version or a 2077 version or what so ever.

And i hope the creators of the song will not get in any trouble because of rights and things...and the video will not be removed...

I prefer the newer version, I guess I'm one the people that prefers screaming over singing then. However, I'm with most people on this and that both versions of the song should be included.

Top Bottom