Choice to be augment free?

+
And yet, a craftsman can build a cupboard with a hammer and handsaw and some nails. She does not need any glue, powered bench saw and screws. He can do it with basic old fashioned tools, no need for the fancy modern shit that is designed to break down after a year and merely speeds things up but doesn't do anything to improve quality.

And yet, a craftsman can build a cupboard with a hammer and handsaw and some nails. She does not need any glue, powered bench saw and screws. He can do it with basic old fashioned tools, no need for the fancy modern shit that is designed to break down after a year and merely speeds things up but doesn't do anything to improve quality.

Um........ yeah, he can.... but he doesn't.... no one does that...

The tools make the job more precise, they make it more attactive, and they make it more durable.

A doctor can operate on a person with a broken piece of glass and some old thread... but you gonna trust the doctor who propses he does that... or are you gonna go to the guy with the proper tools for the job.

If you have to hunt to survive, you can always run up on a critter and try to beat it with a club. But its a whole lot more efficient to do it with a rifle, or even a bow...

That's the point though. Modern tools might be more efficient, faster and safer, but the old tools work, and a skilled craftsman can do the job with the old tools. A skilled craftsman won't say he failed because his tools are older than 20 years, he might blame the complete lack of tools, but if he has any tools he won't blame the tools for failing.

If I have the skills, I won't need smart-gun implants, smart-gun gloves and shades will be good enough...hell, if I have the skills, I won't need smart-gun at all, only a gun. Better tools only improve my skills, they don't create nor substitute them. If I don't have the skills, then no amount or quality level of tools can get the job done.

Why not? It should be conisdered. For sure, as already stated, things could get veeery difficoult (I.E. your unagumented chars vs. cyberpsycopath).

Also, unaugmented tackle problems differently to augmented. If the heavy augmented NPC have their AI programmed to expect only augmented PC, then having non-augmented would throw them off.
The entire reason why Section 9 hired Takashi was because he was un-augmented. If the entire team were the same, they'd be predictable. And he only really started to get trouble with cyber crimes when he finally got himself a brainbox...and of course he still uses his trusted revolvers even though clip loaded pistols don't jam anymore as they used to and are much more accurate...

That's the point though. Modern tools might be more efficient, faster and safer, but the old tools work, and a skilled craftsman can do the job with the old tools. A skilled craftsman won't say he failed because his tools are older than 20 years, he might blame the complete lack of tools, but if he has any tools he won't blame the tools for failing.

If I have the skills, I won't need smart-gun implants, smart-gun gloves and shades will be good enough...hell, if I have the skills, I won't need smart-gun at all, only a gun. Better tools only improve my skills, they don't create nor substitute them. If I don't have the skills, then no amount or quality level of tools can get the job done.

You're still never going to be nowhere as good as someone with jacked up reflexes, smartgun and everything else will be. If you defeat an augmented character, it was not because of skill. It was because of smarts, using your enviroment, setting traps and just thinking a step ahead - and a massive amount of luck.

Sorry, now I made it seem impossible and it's really not. I mean, EMP grenade. I'm sure it'd be painful as hell for anyone augmented. But you're painting up skills too highly vs properly equipped. Take Robocop for example, the Cobra Gun - nuff said. Again with your example below, he uses his Mateba Revolver because he finds it trusty but it doesn't do jackshit against anything for the most part because it's too weak, but not only that he also lacks the skills.

Bottom line of what I am trying to say is, if you don't go augmented you can always get things that help still.
That being said, it'd be interesting to have a unaugmented character and it's a concept I've been pondering on myself the past few days.

Also, unaugmented tackle problems differently to augmented. If the heavy augmented NPC have their AI programmed to expect only augmented PC, then having non-augmented would throw them off.
The entire reason why Section 9 hired Takashi was because he was un-augmented. If the entire team were the same, they'd be predictable. And he only really started to get trouble with cyber crimes when he finally got himself a brainbox...and of course he still uses his trusted revolvers even though clip loaded pistols don't jam anymore as they used to and are much more accurate...

Actually the line she says is that she picked him because overspecialization leads to death - according to her.
Example; The cyberteam in Predator Concrete Jungle who ,while dangerous, are all vulnerable to EMP.

But if we actually look at it from a different point of view, the only thing he actually does is drive the car because he is for the most part incapable of handling anything else. Do note however, I speak from 1995 movie and not SAC, so I have no idea if he is portrayed better in that series than he is in the movie. But to my memory of the 8 episodes I have seen.. Not at all.

You're still never going to be nowhere as good as someone with jacked up reflexes, smartgun and everything else will be. If you defeat an augmented character, it was not because of skill. It was because of smarts, using your enviroment, setting traps and just thinking a step ahead - and a massive amount of luck.

Sorry, now I made it seem impossible and it's really not. I mean, EMP grenade. I'm sure it'd be painful as hell for anyone augmented. But you're painting up skills too highly vs properly equipped. Take Robocop for example, the Cobra Gun - nuff said. Again with your example below, he uses his Mateba Revolver because he finds it trusty but it doesn't do jackshit against anything for the most part because it's too weak, but not only that he also lacks the skills.

Bottom line of what I am trying to say is, if you don't go augmented you can always get things that help still.
That being said, it'd be interesting to have a unaugmented character and it's a concept I've been pondering on myself the past few days.

Actually the line she says is that she picked him because overspecialization leads to death - according to her.
Example; The cyberteam in Predator Concrete Jungle who ,while dangerous, are all vulnerable to EMP.

But if we actually look at it from a different point of view, the only thing he actually does is drive the car because he is for the most part incapable of handling anything else. Do note however, I speak from 1995 movie and not SAC, so I have no idea if he is portrayed better in that series than he is in the movie. But to my memory of the 8 episodes I have seen.. Not at all.

He uses a poorly designed revolver, that while powerful, is also slow, heavy, and cumbersome... its also less accurate due to the barrel beig an inch belot the sights. He is on the team because he has the most empathy, and supposedly will keep them from making decisions that could endanger innocents, as Batou and Kusanagi are pragmatists who will get the job done.

He is simply no match for anyone else on the team, as Kusanagi and Batou both have the skills plus the equipment.

Now... all that being said.... Deunan is relatively unaugmented, and she and Bri would fucking own Kusanagi and Batou. So there is something to be said for fleshies... but to compete thye have to be seriously at the top of their game, and have the right equipment.

I wanna here MR. "it's not the tools its the craftsmen" angle when he has a 9mm polymer one shot, and a full conversion is coming after down the alley.

Now... all that being said.... Deunan is relatively unaugmented, and she and Bri would fucking own Kusanagi and Batou. So there is something to be said for fleshies... but to compete thye have to be seriously at the top of their game, and have the right equipment.

True enough, love Deunan. But Bri is a complete Cyborg also :p
Deunan as we see do rely on as I said, ambush tricks and techs to set up traps.
Uses smarts to overcome augments.

My view is that while Attitude is everything; Metal is better than meat :) play unagmented yes, but it should be a hard choice, not an equal choice maybe it opens a few doors with groups (like the inquisitors if there still around), but cyberware should a constant temptation, a quick soloution to apparent problems. Even as it causes problems of its own the lure of augmention shouldnt be one you cant ignore easily.

True enough, love Deunan. But Bri is a complete Cyborg also :p
Deunan as we see do rely on as I said, ambush tricks and techs to set up traps.

Or a poseidon gong chambered in 10 gang at point blank range...

The trouble with relying on smarts and skill alone in a cyberpunk world, is that smarts and skill are not the exclusive from augmentation and you will eventualy find youself confronting some one ( or more than one) who is just as smart, just as skillfull But also has a Reflexboosts, cybersenses, and a torso that can shrug off a heavy caliber machine gun.

In my book, smarts, tactical knowledge of how to use the terrain to your best advantage, planning 6 steps ahead, setting trap, that is all skills...according to Isamu from Macros Plus, even luck is a skill.
Everything else is the right tool for the job, and there, choosing which tool only enhances your ability to do it right, fast, efficient, but without skills, no amount of hardware can do it.

You are welcome to be Cyber-free. And as long as there is no PvP, you need not fear the cybered. Which is too bad, because you should fear us, Meat.

We Are The Future.

I mean i can see how NOT having something is in a way an advantage in some situations, but i dunno man, this is like showing up to a gunfight, without a gun. and then hoping you can outsmart the terminator.

I can imagine an XP bonus, an achievement, and rare situational encounters/changed dialogues, if you're not cybered at all.

Meh...it all comes down to whether or not you want that shiny new Mr. Stud/Midnite Lady implant......rofl!! The old school chrome jockeys in here know what I'm talking about. Amirite?

I said the same thing in the other thread, only that your augmentation should have an impact in the story too, that might come in the way of 'freedom' but well to some extent it should.

yes the freedom of augmentation.. i would like to choose cybernetic legs, arms, brain chips and else. the cheaper the product the lower the quality (durability, capability, product glitches, etc). also the brand of the technology also make things cooler (ex: the chinese product brand and european brand and else)

Top Bottom