Chonology of DLC ?

+
Chonology of DLC ?

Hello.

I've never played the DLC yet, and I'm starting a new run to do the entire great adventure. As such, can people tell when each of the DLC is supposed to happen (chronologically speaking) compared to the MQ ?
Please no spoiler on the DLC (I've already finished the MQ in a previous run so feel free to reference MQ events if it helps though), and please notice it's a question about CHRONOLOGY, not where/when you can access the DLC in-game - more about when does their story is supposed to happen.

Thanks !

Storywise I would play Heart of stone after the "Bold Mountain" quest in act III. Then finish the main quest and continue with Blood and Wine.

Gameplaywise I would finish the main questline to reach a proper level. Then start playing HoS first as BaW is a kind of final of the geralt saga.

I play B&W after I've finished the main game. Interestingly, a note on a desk where you sign up for the Knights' Tourney has a date of 1275, three years after the main game.

I play B&W after I've finished the main game. Interestingly, a note on a desk where you sign up for the Knights' Tourney has a date of 1275, three years after the main game.

This has been discussed in more detail in another thread, although it is not entirely clear when the events of the second expansion take place, it looks likely that it is in 1273 at the earliest, and it could indeed be in 1275 if the note is correct.

@Akka moved to spoilers sub-forum. I'm not merging this with the thread linked by sv3672 since this one deals with both expansions. However, the above link does provide further information about this topic as it relates to B&W.

Storywise I would play Heart of stone after the "Bold Mountain" quest in act III. Then finish the main quest and continue with Blood and Wine.

I fully agree with this. I like to play Hearts of Stone after Bald Mountain when everyone is in Novigrad doing Final Preparations. It seems like a logical time when Geralt might decide to do this quest. Ciri is safe, there's not a major time crunch, so for Geralt to take on a simple contract (Olgierd's notice) makes sense. Of course then when it turns out to be not-so-simple, he still wants to see it through before leaving for the final battle.

And Blood and Wine makes the most sense after the main campaign is finished. For Geralt to run off to a distant country for what is apparently a simple monster contract makes no sense during the main quest.

I fully agree with this. I like to play Hearts of Stone after Bald Mountain when everyone is in Novigrad doing Final Preparations. It seems like a logical time when Geralt might decide to do this quest. Ciri is safe, there's not a major time crunch, so for Geralt to take on a simple contract (Olgierd's notice) makes sense.

Additionally, it is also in the Novigrad area, so it makes sense to pick up the contract while spending time there. But from a gameplay point of view, the "optimal" order is to finish the main game first, then Hearts of Stone, and finally Blood and Wine, simply because of the quest levels. Although Hearts of Stone does include a few dialogues for the case when it is played during the main story, and even specifically for before The Isle of Mists (which is surprising given that most players are at a level too low for Hearts of Stone at that point in the story).

Additionally, it is also in the Novigrad area, so it makes sense to pick up the contract while spending time there. But from a gameplay point of view, the "optimal" order is to finish the main game first, then Hearts of Stone, and finally Blood and Wine, simply because of the quest levels. Although Hearts of Stone does include a few dialogues for the case when it is played during the main story, and even specifically for before The Isle of Mists (which is surprising given that most players are at a level too low for Hearts of Stone at that point in the story).

Huh. And here I was thinking I'd play Hearts of Stone between the Velen and Novigrad arcs, since geographically it falls in the middle. I don't like to go to and fro and try to be done with an area before proceeding to the next one. I'm the sort to finish everything there is to do in Velen (at the appropriate level, anyway) before stopping at Oxenfurt and then moving on to Novigrad.

I might have to revise my plans for the expansion :D

If you manage to start HoS before Va Fail Elaine and make it through the start of the auctionhouse part of HoS, then you get one tiny extra dialogue line with Vesemir. Getting to an appropriate level for HoS at this point is quite a task though (and it means that a lot of mainquest XP are then squandered.)

Yeah anyway, HoS during act 3 seems a good idea. Then Geralt has an appropriate level without any fuss and OCDish XP juggling, and you get to chat with your family members about the scar. (You even can also chat about the scar with that obsessive red head, if you're so inclined.)

BaW should definitely be done last. It feels like the ending of Geralt's journey. Once in Touissant, you will be hard pressed to return to ugly Velen and Novigrad. You also only get the final mini quest in BaW if you've finished vanilla already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom