Choosing not to finish a quest for moral reasons - Woman of La Mancha

+
There were multiple quests in both Skyrim and Fallout 4 that I chose not to finish after seeing the consequences of all involved choices being immoral in my opinion. I found a similar situation with Woman of La Mancha, but the thing that had me questioning if it was actually wrong to finish was the note you get in her room implying that she will be taken out by someone else if she continues her investigation. However you don't get this until you enter her room, and the main quest info doesn't detail anything about her life being in danger, just that her colleagues will lose money if she cracks the case. I am perfectly ok with corrupt cops losing money in a drug/money trafficking scheme. It also seemed like dumb reasoning that one of the notes said there are many other cases like this in the city and that she should just leave it alone because it's already widespread. That is no justification for a police officer not to investigate the cases they can, and I'm sure she is quite aware of the possibilities of a hitman being sent for her, being a cop in the city investigating crimes and all. She doesn't need me to remind her of that.

I think the plot went over your head a bit....the point is that the entirety of the NCPD is so corrupt to the core that when a cop even attempts to do the right thing they get kicked out in the best case scenarios and at worst are killed. It's easy to be here in a forum and speak from a high moral horse about what others should or shouldn't do when their lives are in grave and imminent danger while you never faced such a situation and have no concept of what a situation like that might feel like. The whole point is that it is a no win scenario for her and there is nothing that you as a protagonist can do for her more than just let her walk away with her life.

I actually reloaded my previous save to manage to calm her down because the first time I picked a wrong option and she aggroed so I was forced to shoot her.

So there is one thing I missed which is that the conversation she had was with the captain. But you can't even see that unless you take her out, so if you choose the convince option that keeps her standing awake/alive you wouldn't know it was the captain and basically the entire NCPD. The quest details made me think it was just SOME of her colleagues.

Last edited:
So there is one thing I missed which is that the conversation she had was with the captain. But you can't even see that unless you take her out, so if you choose the convince option that keeps her standing awake/alive you wouldn't know it was the entire NCPD.
The quest makes it pretty damn clear that her collogues are out to off her....hell even you are sent to ideally chase her out of town but nobody would care if you killed her. It doesn't get more crystal clear than that. You can be dull about it but a lot of it is also reading the bloody room....like literally using your eyes to look at the state of the city. And there are a lot more quests where that came from....in another quest chain you'll get to investigate the death of the former mayor and one of the candidates to replace him.

The connection I didn't make is the idea of the NCPD sending someone else if I decided not to do anything. The quest details imply Regina is calling on behalf of the NCPD, so you are the hitman and not someone undermining the NCPD's separate hitman (but this is just how I interpreted the quest details. Someone else could infer that regina is not at all calling on behalf of the NCPD), with Regina adding her own take that you shouldn't kill Anna. Even then, of course once the NCPD finds out you did nothing they will still send someone else anyway.

The NCPD are so corrupt that they would kill the woman just to keep her quiet. This is the whole point of asking her to stop her investigation. If she carries on one of her colleagues would kill her if your V doesn't intervene.

With the correct conversation options you can convince her to stop her investigation and she realises that she isn't going to be safe. So she says she will quit her job at the NCPD and leave town.

I've never even spoken to her... I just walked in and gunned her down.

Rats are a dying breed and a bounty hunter has to eat...

Btw,

The name's V...

An extremely short mission where it is only to talk to her, walk from point a to b.
is there a second part of it or does it end with convincing her not to continue investigating?

I actually felt good about warning her so she can skip town and save her life.
That was my idea too. The system is too corrupt to fix for us, even for those cops who don't like it, they have to comply to be able to continue to do the little good they are actually allowed to do. So, there's only two options for this one cop to survive:
1. Comply and hope for a day that the system comes crashing down upon those who abuse it.
2. Flee the city, and hope to find a better place elswhere, where being a good person is more managable.
First option isn't available in game, second one is.

I remember being specifically asked very nicely not to kill her. So I didn't. I will get out of my car and snipe the person behind me every time for honking, don't get me wrong, but people who are nice to me in the game goes a long way. Just saying.

I went back and finished the quest. It made me feel even better after the experience I got for it leveled me up and added to my street cred.

Edit: Small update with a minor spoiler ahead about this quest. If you come back to the area later you will find a police officer underneath a pile of trash next to the drop point with a conversation with Anna on him. So the game does indeed continue the storyline after finishing the quest, and the result is that she kills the corrupt officers! I've noticed for multiple side missions that have some kind of backstory to them, something is changed/added when you come back.

Last edited:
I intended not to kill, but fumbled my keys when the dialogue box came up when speaking to her and my hesitation in picking a reply from the options engaged the delay response, so she shot at me, after that I had no choice.. sorry.. after all the gyrations needed to get to that balcony it was too much effort to re-roll to the save pre mission to avoid having to shoot her.

Last edited:
I have to admit, there have definitely been quite a few missions where I felt conflicted on what to do. This was one of them.

I have some update for the discussion.

Warning: Spoilers follow:

What I wonder is, if you do this Gig: Scrolls before Swine before doing Gig: Woman of La Mancha, can Detective Anna Hill be saved? As a merc when you get to Anna's place you can choose not to kill her. The next time you go to Dr. Chrome's ripperdoc store though, you can overhear a news story on a radio/tv somewhere close, and it details a "Domestic Violence" incident at the police station. Detective Anna Hill kills her two superior officers(the ones who put a 'Hit' out on her) and then gets killed by the other police in the station. I DO NOT like that outcome!

The Gigs are so far apart time wise as well as physically. I would really like to know if there was a way to get a better outcome for Detective Anna Hill. Maybe taking out this dirtbag first, Detective Aaron McDirtbag, relieves some pressure from Anna's Superiors, or she gets the promotion instead of Aaron, giving her more clout to take on the other dirty officers? I haven't completed the game yet. Is there another Gig where you actually take out Anna's Superiors yourself and doing that first might save Detective Hill? I really didn't like to be responsible for her getting killed. I understand that it is not my fault she decided to confront her superiors instead of leaving town but, anyone could see that she was going to. If I knew where NCPD HQ was I would completely "Go Terminator" on the place. If all that's left to 'Serve and Protect' is just one good cop...that's an acceptable outcome.

I managed to talk her out of continuing her investigation, which is fairly easy to do. I do think this could have been a good 'Gig' if they had expanded the story line, as already mentioned, go after the NCPD detective and have a way to expose his activities or take him out. Another missed opportunity for the game.

There have only been a couple of missions / gig that I really did not feel comfortable with pursuing and didn't complete them. While I can't think of the names of the gigs, one is where Dakota wanted me to assassinate someone simply because she (basically) didn't like them, this one hit me as being real odd. The other was 'Sinnerman' which crossed the line with me for a variety of reasons. Most didn't have any issues with this, and that's fine, but once I figured this out I left it. I reloaded the start of the mission with meeting 'Bill'(?) and instead of following, drove the other direction...'Mission Failed!'...I was good with that.

I think it is interesting how the missions / gigs affect players in this game and I think it's great. We all play differently.

I actually reloaded my previous save to manage to calm her down because the first time I picked a wrong option and she aggroed so I was forced to shoot her.

If I remember correctly putting her down with nonlethal damage doesnt work, the game acts as if you killed her. This was in December though, so maybe something has changed.

I always choose to not-kill option if there's a chance.

In this case, she gets sick and tired, says, "Yeah,... You know what? I'm not lettin' scumbags getting me killed. Fuck them, fuck this job, fuck this city,"
I interpret this that she quits and gets out of the city, and lives somewhere else with a new job. Maybe being happy or content as well.

Frankly up to now I hadn't even considered that this quest was undoable because all options are immoral. In all my playthroughs I have just convinced her to leave. That is the best option, morally and it is what Regina paid you to do. It is not up to V to fix what's broken with Night City, but saving a life from the corrupt system is quite in his/her line.
If you do only morally impeccable quests, there will be very little for you do to in the game. Starting with a certain quest to *steal* someone else's property, from their penthouse at a luxurious hotel where you unlawfully break in. You naughty you. :disapprove:

Top Bottom