Chris Avellone Interview

+
Chris Avellone Interview

Another interview with Chris Avellone.

While most of it deals with Wasteland 2, kickstarter and Obsidian, there is this interesting bit down the bottom for Ps:T fans to drool over in hope.

Q: One last thing. Tempted by a Planescape Kickstarter?

Chris Avellone: Yes! Very tempted.

Q: It seems like a prime target...

Chris Avellone: Yeah - I think the challenges we've spoken about would all have to be considered and to be honest I don't know if I'd want to do it as a Planescape game - I think a better approach would be to ignore the D&D mechanics and respect what Planescape was trying to do and what the game did and see if you can do what Fallout did when it became the spiritual successor to Wasteland.

I think if you made a game using some of the concepts of Planescape, the metaphysical ideas and the plane travel, without using the D&D mechanics, you could actually come up with a much better game. With Torment, I'd argue that the D&D base actually, in places, got in the way of the experience. It was a lot harder to make a game with those ideas in it with D&D mechanics. So much that we had to break a lot of them. We had to ignore certain spells, change up the class mechanic so that you can switch at any time you like by remembering abilities.

That was stuff that D&D didn't allow for, it was to restraining in some respects. If we did do a spiritual successor, then I don't know if we'd use the Planescape licence or attach the mechanics, perhaps something that has a different feel to Torment.

I believe that instead of limiting the flexibility of PS:T, the D&D Planescape lore helped build and set the general tone and atmosphere of the game. Without it, a spiritual successor will need a big team of very talented and creative writers which is very hard to find in the current video game market.
Dragon Age: Origins was advertised as the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate without the Forgotten Realms, and while it was good for a modern game, it was nowhere near the overall quality of BG.
I think an open classless system a-la Arcanum would be great for a game like Torment, but they would have to work long and hard on the setting.

I'm not so sure, Planescape itself was a setting that broke much of the AD&D 2nd edition lore, it actively subverted the usual tropes of the game and was made by designers who seemed a little tired of the core rules. Torment really embraced this subverting of the traditional games, making the cranium rats of Many as One a terrifying foe instead of first level hero fodder, banishing swords and plate armour, Conversation trumping combat, the Undead of the Dead Nations being some of the nicest people you'll meet in the game etcetera.

This combined with the fact that Mr Avellone used to design mods for the industry and is a long time gamesmaster means that he'll most likely have a half dozen or so campaign worlds lying around, of varying depth and sophistication. In my experience D&D really does shackle a campaign eventually, thus prompting the house rules and more outlandish settings of many long term campaigns. Plus what kind of price would WOTC demand for licensing such a game, might make a Kickstarter pointlessly expensive.

Apparently Tim Cain thought up the Fallout SPECIAL ruleset in only a few days after Steve Jacksons balked at Fallouts mature content, so I don't think the mechanics are necessarily all that important.

Top Bottom