Cinematic experiences A.K.A ripping controls away from the user

+
Let's face it, some people want every game to be an RTS/action game and anything that detracts from that, like cutscenes, is bad in their opinion. This is why so many supposed RPGs have little to no story-line and extremely limited character development, these things detract from the action.
Because, as Suhira said, different people have different definitions of whether it's "too long", and because one person's opinion can change through time. What's fine the first time becomes "too long" on the third replay, or the third time you've died and it's played again.

Something which I hope they also avoid, by the way. If there's something next that means you need an autosave, the autosave should be after the cutscene, not before it.

I'm probably not being very clear with what I'm trying to say since I'm not 100% sure what points (of mine) you are responding to. I can be a bit cryptic at times, it's a personal flaw. :D

I was replying to your comment that seemed to imply that if people skip past cutscenes, it means they probably shouldn't have been there.

I disagreed. :)

Ok.

It's more that since they do disrupt the gameplay (and people will skip them at one point or another), it'd be better to not have too much (only some for a greater effect) of them nor to be found where they aren't really even called for.

Last edited:
Although in the Half-Life games there is always a realistic explanation why the player's movement is restricted (you are in a vehicle, trapped, captured by enemies, etc.) for some cutscene-like moments, they do not just take the control away for no apparent reason.
it's great design that they can explain every bit where control is taken away from you. but my point was that even they, who are known for not having cutscenes in their games, know the importance of these restricted moments.

Cutscenes obviously make storytelling easier, but in theory they should not be needed, or only rarely. After all, there are no cutscenes in real life either, games are just limited in their ability to simulate interactions with the world.
it depends on the kind of game, but I think they are definitely needed, exactly because of what you said in the second part of your last sentence. cutscenes are the difference between a movie with a great cinematographer and a documentary.
now we may not need a cutscene-like conversation for every wandering trader (I for one didn't mind it), but I think most cutscenes added to the game in the witcher 3.

Something which I hope they also avoid, by the way. If there's something next that means you need an autosave, the autosave should be after the cutscene, not before it.
oh god, the kayran fight. I stopped playing witcher 2 for months when I got to that point. but I think witcher 3 has been pretty good with that.

Hmm, could you please elaborate on this new dynamic dialogue system, if it doesn't bother you too much, cuz I never heard of this new thing.

There was this interview I saw where they mentioned they had a unique new dialogue system in prototype stage amidst the usual "We cant talk about it yet."

These kinds of threads worry me because Bioware fans made similar calls prior to the release of Dragon Age Inquisition, and what did the developers do? They got rid of the majority of cinematic sequences and created a system where you could "pop in and pop out" of most conversations. The result was deeply unsatisfying. Making out the individual faces of npc's was nigh on to impossible. Talk about reducing the immersion factor ... I walked away from that game unable to recall a single character who wasn't part of the Inquisition's immediate inner circle. It also broke the audio and made it very difficult to understand what was being said at any given moment.

I think cinematic experiences are an important aspect of a game that wants to convey powerful emotions and gravitas. The gaming industry is still in its infancy and it's difficult to convey powerful emotions without first setting the mood. Future games will look just like high quality CGI trailers, and then everything will become a seamless experience.

Game developers are currently using cinematics as a way to compensate for not yet having the required technology to create a seamless and sufficiently powerful experience for the player. Cinematic experiences are really telling us that this is what the world really looks like and this is the way it's suppose to feel like.

Last edited:
I LOVE in game cinematics, but then I often play these games on the easiest setting and just for the story. If I want hard I do like GR100+ rifts hardcore solo in D3.

Top Bottom