Ciri as the 'Next Geralt': Yay or Nay?

+
Ciri as the 'Next Geralt': Yay or Nay?

Just thinking out loud here. Now that Geralt's story in this universe has come to an end, eyes are on Ciri as the next potential star of the show. Regardless of the outcome of The Witcher 3's conclusion, what would you guys say to Ciri becoming the new protagonist of the series from now onwards?

Suppose after Cyperpunk CDPR releases a Witcher game that takes place after TW3 and features Ciri as the protagonist. Would that be fine with you? Why or why not?

Discuss. I know I would love that, personally. Ciri was amazing in the game.

Well that would be a good game. But not a Witcher game.

I just meant a game that takes place in the Witcher universe following the events of the main trilogy. It wouldn't necessarily need to be titled 'The Witcher'.

I think there's still a lot of potential left in Ciri's character, and I wouldn't be surprised if CDPR had plans for her down the road.

Nay. Don't mind the likes of Tomb Raider, but don't like the idea of running around a +100 hour rpg with some dainty female protagonist.

Nay. Geralt as a character is great because of his flexible personality and position in society that allows him to access interesting events, and also his dozens upon dozens of interesting relationships. Ciri has none of that. Her personality in CDPR's version is less complex or flexible than it was in the book, and has been reduced down to a standard archetypal heroine. Her relationships only extend to Geralt and Yen for the most part. And she's not even a witcher, so no gameplay of potions, mutagens etc.

Furthermore, from a plot perspective she's so overpowered everything would be trivialized. Any threat she could either kill, or run away from, and if not that we can be sure that her powers would be abused to produce a deus ex machina, so all suspense would be gone. They would have to depower her, which would require horrible stretches in writing, with further stretches being required for everything else to make it work.

Frankly, I'd rather have no new witcher than a witcher with Ciri as the protagonist. That would just feel like a cheap cash in on the popularity of her character, with unavoidably terrible fan fiction-esque writing. CDPR already diminished her character by turning her into a Mary Sue, I'd rather not see more of that.

Last edited:
I just meant a game that takes place in the Witcher universe following the events of the main trilogy. It wouldn't necessarily need to be titled 'The Witcher'.

I think there's still a lot of potential left in Ciri's character, and I wouldn't be surprised if CDPR had plans for her down the road.
It would only be an expansion to this game. I dont think Ciri is really for RPGs. But if you're saying just a new game with her as the protagonist that would be a nice short game. I would play that.

Nay.

She's the ultimate saviour of the multiverse already. There is nothing left for her to do, no progress to make, no bigger goal to reach.

CDPR really overblow the spectacle creep in TW3. They already killed of every possible sequel centered on her I'm afraid.

Her story has just begun.

Finally free of the crap from her destiny, Ciri, at last can be the woman she chooses to be.

And the world is burning.

How does she FIX it?

Yay, assuming they've got a story they want to tell with her. She'd obviously need to be rebalanced, but Geralt gets reset every game for gameplay reasons. Ciri would be no different. Not sure what they'd do with her though, feel like it should be more fantastical than Geralt. Seeing other lands or even other planets could be fun.

Her story has just begun.

Finally free of the crap from her destiny, Ciri, at last can be the woman she chooses to be.

And the world is burning.

How does she FIX it?

Not at all :p

Honestly, she already saved the multiverse (not only the universe, but the multiverse!). She is more powerful than everyone else in the whole multiverse. What's left for such a character? She extremely over-powered already. I can't think of anything of meaning for her to do in a future video game.

Oh wait...
Witcher 4 blurb:
"After she returned from the White Frost Ciri lost her memory and all her abilities. Help her regaining her memory and strength and follow her adventures in an extremely creative and unique story never told before! "

Last edited:
Hell yes, Ciri is awesome and they've already put her in the perfect position to be the next protagonist.

Not at all :p

Honestly, she already saved the multiverse (not only the universe, but the multiverse!). She is more powerful than everyone else in the whole multiverse. What's left for such a character? She extremely over-powered already. I can't think of anything of meaning for her to do in a future video game.

All she can do is teleport stuff.

It's why we need clarification on what she did to beat the White Frost.

Since she can't do magic, she presumably just popped it somewhere.

She can also seemingly levitate junk and has some sort of super powered aura that allows her to one shot red riders.

All she can do is teleport stuff.

It's why we need clarification on what she did to beat the White Frost.
Agreed. But even in terms of normal gameplay she is already way overpowered. She butchers through the Wild Hunt warriors in seconds during the final boss encounter with Eredin. Geralt is nothing against that. And Triss gave her a completely OP (lore-breaking...) medaillon that can cast meteroids from the heaven every few seconds...

Since she can't do magic, she presumably just popped it somewhere.
That makes no sense at all tbh... ;)

Top Bottom