Ciri Nova first impression

+
I guess many people awaited the Ciri Nova rework and this new version has some interesting features. Like the other Ciri cards it could offer card advantage in specific situations and the deck restrictions hearkens back to the beta version. Overall i like it, build-around cards always have potential however there are some concerns about it aswell.

First of all, like other cards that have deck restrictions, it siphons value from other cards and transfers it into this one card, which you absolutely need to draw and play. Not only that but this has to happen in round 1 or 2. Now this hasn't been a problem for a card like Radeya because there are many tutor cards out there you can use, but the problem here is that Ciri Nova can't benefit from any of them, Royal Decree and Oneiromancy can't be slotted due to their prov cost and Matta doesn't guarantee it, most likely you'll have plenty of 9 prov cards in your deck.
So from this point of view i think it would actually be a benefit to "nerf" the card to 10 prov with the text "If your starting deck has no other card with prov cost of 10 or more". It would also put her in line with the other Ciri cards.

My second issue, which i mentioned in another thread, is about Vincent, comparing to the original Roche Merciless. While Vincent is in the game there isn't really a point to play a Ciri Nova deck. If you play Ciri and it's met by Vincent you lose the game, especially in the second round because of the tempo swing, so while Ciri can be countered with purified, that usually is a low tempo play. If you don't play her against NG, then you'll also probbaly lose the game because the quality of your deck will be lower and you're not playing your best card.

Personally i'm looking forward to play it, will most likely see some experimentation but i doubt she will succeed as a meta deck and will be quickly dumped and forgotten just like her previous version.

Like already said against NG (Vince & Yenn Yoink) Ciri will be pretty bad and that's probably my main issue with current NG because it heavily restricts Deckbuilding.

But I think Nova could really shine in Skellige Discard or Selfwound Decks with Coral, Vildkaarl, Artis, Harald, Birna, Morkvarg(Beast), Blueboy, Olgierd immortal and the Defender not breaking the 9 provision Limit and the buff to Svabold Priest I think you can build a nice SK Deck to make her work.

Last edited:
Hi all,
which "this new version"? I do not know anything about it.
I have a quite well working Cirin Nova Deck (monster with 3x consume) using "Pact" and the Mage which gives doomed status from MM to increase the possible doomed cards and keep the graveyard empty... I am using Phoenix and Cahir as well (+ Royal Decree + this invincible guy 7 Str, I forgot his name + Xavier of course).
Double Phoenix + Ciri Novo in first round is really a pretty thing..
And yes, NG is the worst opponent for this deck... :)

To my mind the resilience tag is definitely the most valuable tag. If you face NG´s Vincent and Yenno it might be a big issue.
But I think with Artis (only Shield gets destroyed) this card might interact smoothly.

1596467461303.png

Hi all,
I have a quite well working Cirin Nova Deck (monster with 3x consume) using "Pact" and the Mage which gives doomed status from MM to increase the possible doomed cards and keep the graveyard empty... I am using Phoenix and Cahir as well (+ Royal Decree + this invincible guy 7 Str, I forgot his name + Xavier of course).
Double Phoenix + Ciri Novo in first round is really a pretty thing..
And yes, NG is the worst opponent for this deck... :)

Deploy: If your starting deck does not have cards costing 10 or more gain Resilience, Shield and Veil (9 provisions, 8 strength)

Here's one thing I like about the overhaul: unlike the old Nova (in beta) this one won't be a last say last play "I win" card.

She can be played on R1 or R2, which makes her somewhat flexible, and if played as the last card on R1/R2 she's guaranteed carryover, which is always nice for the player.

I'm very happy to see this Ciri Nova rework! I like the Resilience Status to the point I even include Vandergrift in some of my Northern Realm decks.

So based on my experience with Vandergrift which gives you 5 pt for 9 provision, shield + resilience, I don't expect Ciri Nova to be particularly good. 3 additional points and the Veil Status do not compensate for the deck building restriction.

Personally i'm looking forward to play it, will most likely see some experimentation but i doubt she will succeed as a meta deck and will be quickly dumped and forgotten just like her previous version.

Same here. I'll try to go full Resilience with Ciri:Nova + Vandergrift, but I expect to lose more than to win. :shrug:

Guest 4368268

It would be bad, however her ability is on deploy. So if the NG player isn't a Ciri Nova deck also, she'll just be a vanilla 8 point unit for your opponent.
That's true, but if your opponent plays Nova and you seize it you're effectively shutting the down the card your opponent built an entire deck around.

Probably fearing that an 8 point immune and resilient unit might be too powerful, like this you can purify her.
Perhaps, but there are other immune units already, even one at 8 strength for 9 provisions, which could even be brought back with Renew.

I think that the fear of an 8 strength immune unit with resilience (which can still be removed by some means), is less than the fear of building your deck around a card, only for 2 NG cards to be a complete counter to it, though. Heatwave also trades quite favourably with it too.

This was such a good and fun deck and now they ruined it ><
The decision of whether or not to commit to replaying ciri nova in the next round, by managing the graveyard, is such a good add on to gwent's poker/blackjack 3 round mechanic, but no just make her a cheaper but better phoenix that acts as a pretty figure piece for 2 rounds

Last edited:
Is the card buggy? Just played against Nilfgaard and he got all Ciri-effects while he also played his Scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the card buggy? Just played against Nilfgaard and he got all Ciri-effects while he also played his Scenario.

Yeah i noticed this aswell however i don't know if it was a bug of display, didn't test to see if she actually had shield and veil.

I love the idea of Ciri: Nova, but how can it really ever be viable when every other deck isn't punished for running 4p cards?

This video sums up the issue pretty decently.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Top Bottom