Ciri nova the queen of Gwent

+

Ciri nova the queen of Gwent

• Total voters
Not only you can't reset the 25 Ciri:Nova, but my opponent played her as a 1(+3 bonus by Vrihedd Dragoon), and I Petered her expecting he'd kill her, but he transformed her to a 22 instead. Is that a bug, or am I not seeing something?

pr0letar;n10393022 said:
I Petered her expecting he'd kill her, but he transformed her to a 22 instead. Is that a bug, or am I not seeing something?

Nova gains Base strength, but Peter resets Boosted strength. In other words, it was working as intended.

R3. Ive 3 cards with a total of 49 points in my hand. Opponent had 2 cards. I think gg wp. His first card is Ciri Nova. Well, ok. Still cant beat me. His second card?...Uma into Ciro Nova. Fuck my life. Now ive seen everything.:sad:

Last edited:
pr0letar;n10393022 said:
Not only you can't reset the 25 Ciri:Nova, but my opponent played her as a 1(+3 bonus by Vrihedd Dragoon), and I Petered her expecting he'd kill her, but he transformed her to a 22 instead. Is that a bug, or am I not seeing something?

Someone tried to Peter'ed my buffed by dragoon CN and immediately forfeited. Was it you i wonder?:huh:

It might have been me, but in this case I had a graphic bug since the CN was played as a 1 strength card.

pr0letar;n10393022 said:

Seems like a visual bug - if you see Nova being played with 4 strength, it's best to look at the amount of points your opponent currently has on this row, to make sure it's not just a visual bug.

In any case, things like that should not happen and you can always let CDPR support know about that here: https://www.playgwent.com/en/contact-support

I, too, faced about 95 percent Nova finishes the other day. The problem is that it's a neutral card with no setup and can be fit in virtually any deck. And yeah, the "penalty" of bronze pairs and having 26 cards in the deck is laughable. The fix to bring her down to 22 isn't going to fix anything, either

Barracuda88;n10394492 said:
The fix to bring her down to 22 isn't going to fix anything, either

It's actually a buff cause she's out of gigni range now. They should've made her 24 points to troll players more.

I like Dudu as a counter to Ciri if I'm ahead in card count. A relic consume deck is hard for a ciri deck to deal with.

Zjiin;n10315842 said:
Such a lazily designed card. The 2 bronzes in deck drawback is virtually irelevant. She's power creep embodied.

This is the biggest issue with cards like this. This isn't the closed beta anymore. Limiting your deck to 2 of a kind isn't a big deal at all, especially for dwarves. Not when you have cards that spawn/create others.

And just wait for the buff in the next patch.

Last edited:
nunqmuo;n10394772 said:
It's actually a buff cause she's out of gigni range now.

(Copy-paste from another thread) People should really stop saying this like it's a fact. The average value of Ciri: Nova will drop because an Igni counter is only possible when you have CA (and the card in hand). More often than not, Ciri: Nova dies to Schirru/Scorch or not at all when played as the last card. Statistically speaking, it's definitely a nerf. However, one could debate how much of a point drop is is needed to cross the line from buff to nerf. Making Ciri: Nova 24 strength is a buff, making her 20 Strength is a nerf. So, where does one draw the line? Somewhere between 21 and 23. 22 being right in between really isn't that bad.

4RM3D;n10395302 said:
Making Ciri: Nova 24 strength is a buff, making her 20 Strength is a nerf. So, where does one draw the line? Somewhere between 21 and 23. 22 being right in between really isn't that bad.

I think I disagree. 20 feels appropriate IMO. I don't think the 2 bronze limit is as onerous as CDPR thinks it is. 20 for a single gold isn't bad, and while there are gold cards that can generate bigger swings, Ciri is a *neutral* card that requires no set-up and fits easily into many decks types.

Maybe 22 will be okay for the health of the meta, but I don't think 20 would be an over-nerf either.

adorablepuppy;n10396872 said:
I think I disagree. 20 feels appropriate IMO. I don't think the 2 bronze limit is as onerous as CDPR thinks it is. 20 for a single gold isn't bad, and while there are gold cards that can generate bigger swings, Ciri is a *neutral* card that requires no set-up and fits easily into many decks types.

Maybe 22 will be okay for the health of the meta, but I don't think 20 would be an over-nerf either.

I guess it depends what faction and archetype one uses, because I see staunchly defended opinions on CN within these forums.

I use NR exclusively, and run a CN deck. It's a control deck of my own making; I've fine-tuned it and continue to do so (although for the record, I am pretty-much taking this season off). I don't want to go off on a tangent, but I think it's entirely objective to say that NR is the least synergistic and most "underwhelming" faction. Aside from Henselt machines, any other NR archetype is crap. Even Henselt machines isn't viable at 4000+.

Regardless, my point is that running CN deck with NR and having it be competitive is NOT easy with the two bronze limit. True, CN doesn't require setup to slap-down, but then again, making a competitive deck with a faction that already broken, and then being limited to two-bronzes EXACTLY? That IS a challenge!

Philologus

You are saying you need CN to compensate for an overall weaker faction (NR) and the two bronze limit setup. However, that's actually not an argument for CN, but rather an argument against NR. If you put CN in factions that are generally stronger and are having an easier time with the two bronze limit, like ST or SK, then the picture changes completely.

4RM3D;n10397122 said:
Philologus

You are saying you need CN to compensate for an overall weaker faction (NR) and the two bronze limit setup. However, that's actually not an argument for CN, but rather an argument against NR. If you put CN in factions that are generally stronger and are having an easier time with the two bronze limit, like ST or SK, then the picture changes completely.

I completely understand and agree with what you said. However, I was pointing out that it's a matter of perspective concerning whether or not CN is OP, and alsi in evaluating the difficulty in making a CN deck. Prior to using my control CN NR deck, I was running my own Foltest (swarm) deck, which of course resembled the net-deck because NR is so limited that there's really only one way to do it. Back on track: as soon as I hit about 3400 MMR, I realized just how underpowered that deck was, compared to NG spies, SK bears etc..

You know I hate net-decking, so I thought long and hard on how to make a competitive deck, and CN plus a lot of tech and select multi-purpose NR bronzes seemed to be my only avenue. Given the lack of synergy between NR bronzes (and lack of graveyard interaction), it took a bit of thought and a lot of experimentation to come up with a decent competitive CN deck. (Last season, I reached 4200 MMR with it, but it was an absolute grind)

Sorry for the extra. TLDR - Making a competitive (i.e. 4000+ MMR) CN NR deck is very difficult given the two bronze limit. I acknowledge it's probably easier using other factions.

Afairju;n10297032 said:
Today i have seen Two Ciri Nova card was on the board. He played Ciri and it goes up to 25 then 26 after i drained ciri to half with vampire elder. And then he played another Ciri Nova again he was using elves deck. And i have no clue how did he do that anyone knows how ? i googled how to make same gold card on deck with spawn or create any of it has worked. please enlighten me (i dont have ciri nova on deck i am monsters)

In theory it is possible (but highly unlikely) to get 4 Ciri Novas in the one game by having the following cards in your deck:

Ciri Nova

Uma’s Curse

And if the opponent is using Ciri Nova, also having…

Johnny

Decoy (used with Johnny a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] time)

Blue Dream

Avallac'h: The Sage

Having said that Ciri Nova and Gold cards in general are increasingly becoming underpowered... as a comparison I'm increasingly seeing Nilfgard and Skellige and Monster (consume decks) with bronze card combos returning 20+ value... which makes them more powerful than most Gold Cards. However, these amounts can't be achieved if one is playing with Ciri Nova... as these bronze combinations usually require sets of 3 in a deck.

At the end of the day, playing Ciri Nova is a high risk / reward strategy... as her requirement is that you can only have a maximum of 2 of any bronze... the risk of drawing dud card combinations and thus getting totally wiped by your opponent is quite high. If Ciri Nova was to ever get nerfed... then pretty much everyone should just play Skellige Bear decks... high rewards / low risk

Last edited:
Jezaboom2;n10397952 said:
Having said that Ciri Nova and Gold cards in general are increasingly becoming underpowered... as a comparison I'm increasingly seeing Nilfgard and Skellige and Monster (consume decks) with bronze card combos returning 20+ value... which makes them more powerful than most Gold Cards. However, these amounts can't be achieved if one is playing with Ciri Nova... as these bronze combinations usually require sets of 3 in a deck.

At the end of the day, playing Ciri Nova is a high risk / reward strategy... as her requirement is that you can only have a maximum of 2 of any bronze... the risk of drawing dud card combinations and thus getting totally wiped by your opponent is quite high. If Ciri Nova was to ever get nerfed... then pretty much everyone should just play Skellige Bear decks... high rewards / low risk[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Hallelujah.. someone gets it.

Philologus;n10398012 said:
Hallelujah.. someone gets it.

Thanks... the issue in the game is that cards which would have helped keep OP decks in balance were removed via the mid-winter update fiasco... eg: Clever previously was a viable lock proposition... or Archgriffins would not just clear weather but would move a card from one graveyard to another... or field medics would have a unique ability to potentially pull cards. The cards still exist but they no longer offer synergy as their mechanics got wiped and haven't been replaced with other comparable cards... thus achieving synergy in a Ciri Nova deck is very hard to achieve and literally often relies upon the luck of the draw

Jezaboom2;n10398062 said:
Thanks... the issue in the game is that cards which would have helped keep OP decks in balance were removed via the mid-winter update fiasco... eg: Clever previously was a viable lock proposition... or Archgriffins would not just clear weather but would move a card from one graveyard to another... or field medics would have a unique ability to potentially pull cards. The cards still exist but they no longer offer synergy as their mechanics got wiped and haven't been replaced with other comparable cards... thus achieving synergy in a Ciri Nova deck is very hard to achieve and literally often relies upon the luck of the draw

Again, agreed. I used Cleaver in one of my NR decks, pre MW patch. Just changing that one card affected my deck to the point that I had to redesign it. Field Medic did the same to another one of my decks.

And I just don't understand why these changes were made. They seem like small changes, but it kills synergy and the opportunity to play deeper strategies. It's not as if Gwent was a deep strategical game to begin with, although I have only been playing since about July 2017.

I do think Ciri:Nova is a stupid card because the supposed deck building "restriction" isn't much of an issue at all given how easy it is to build extremely powerful decks with only two of each bronze card...

At least Shupe decks have to sacrifice a lot for him to function. Ciri:Nova is pretty brainless.

BUT if Ciri:Nova boosted instead of strengthened then I'd be ok with it (and Yrden/Dbomb/Mandrake/Mushrooms would be able to counter it as a finisher).

Top Bottom