Ciri nova the queen of Gwent

+

Ciri nova the queen of Gwent

• Total voters
Philologus;n10398222 said:
Again, agreed. I used Cleaver in one of my NR decks, pre MW patch. Just changing that one card affected my deck to the point that I had to redesign it. Field Medic did the same to another one of my decks.

And I just don't understand why these changes were made. They seem like small changes, but it kills synergy and the opportunity to play deeper strategies. It's not as if Gwent was a deep strategical game to begin with, although I have only been playing since about July 2017.

The changes were decided by Gaunter O'Dimm :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sailears;n10399312 said:
I do think Ciri:Nova is a stupid card because the supposed deck building "restriction" isn't much of an issue at all given how easy it is to build extremely powerful decks with only two of each bronze card...

At least Shupe decks have to sacrifice a lot for him to function. Ciri:Nova is pretty brainless.

BUT if Ciri:Nova boosted instead of strengthened then I'd be ok with it (and Yrden/Dbomb/Mandrake/Mushrooms would be able to counter it as a finisher).

No.. no it's much more difficult with NR. Not "brainless" at all.

Try it, and see if you can climb to 4250+MMR. Otherwise, come back to me. :)

Mancoon1980;n10296072 said:
Just trying to post a poll about Ciri nova the new queen of gwent. Every match I played tonight ended in ciri nova. I saw her a lot initially but she had a break now she's back. this was a first for every match. Even the usual dwarf decks had her added to the finish.. I originally thought she would lead to different deck building and strategy but she's everyones finisher without really any negatives to your deck...

just for fun at whatever level you are currently at, what percent of your games tonight ended in ciri?

Good job i've started playing my beloved "Scorch Kings" deck.

With the new cards and changes it does it's job even better now.

Plus i have like a million scorches.

Watch out Ciri, you little brat!

:wisegirl:

Ciri Nova is the single worst card in the game. It optimizes the worst aspects of Gwent right now. It makes last say incredibly important, making problems such as the coinflip and spies that much worse. It limits deck diversity - when this card is a viable finisher why bother with other faction finishers such as Bloody Baron or Ciri Dash (I know its neutral but you can build a deck around it, like constantly discarding it or consuming it)? Not to mention, when something works better with it's limitation, it will instantly become a better card - Skellige for example can thin enough that they get the important cards anyway, and the limitation is not that limiting. It's also annoying that the limitation isn't something the enemy can control, there's no agency there - if you have last say you can scorch and that's about it. It's not like you can add cards to your opponent's deck or something.

Personally I don't think lowering it to the 15-20 range is too big a nerf. It probably wouldn't see much play then, but to be honest, good. Seems to me like every other game right now is a Ciri Nova game. The other idea I'd do is to have it boost by 8 at the end of every turn, rather than instantly boost to 25 or 22. It would take 3 turns to get the current value, but it could go higher. It would remove the last play ability of it, give an actual chance for the opponent to do something and to me feel like a card with actual agency to it.

SkippyHole;n10406532 said:
[SNIP] Ciri Nova is the single worst card in the game. It optimizes the worst aspects of Gwent right now.[/SNIP]

Or when you've played your last card, are 27points ahead and you know that oppo has CN, and it comes out at 29, 30 or 32 (or whatever) pts because handbuff/some other bonus (etc). feelsbadman. :(

Philologus;n10403682 said:
No.. no it's much more difficult with NR. Not "brainless" at all.

Try it, and see if you can climb to 4250+MMR. Otherwise, come back to me. :)

Sure I respect NR with that. I suppose I'm just disillusioned with the ST Nova and similar brainless tactics. :)

PraytheRosary;n10418982 said:
why dont high players use her?
Deck consistency of play I'd say... when most high ranked decks can push out 12-20pt swings per play regardless in R3, one more at 25 while trashing the consistency of the rest of your deck really doesn't work for the long term odds

Sailears;n10418212 said:
Sure I respect NR with that. I suppose I'm just disillusioned with the ST Nova and similar brainless tactics. :)

Don't want to veer too much off-topic, but although I run CN, I don't really want to do so. I am emotionally attached to NR and have played it exclusively ever since finishing the training modules. There just aren't many ways to be competitive with NR, so I built a control CN deck that was originally designed to crush NG spy. (And it did/does) Ever since then I have tweaked it according to the wild meta.

If I have CN and last card in R3, I usually win. Without her, it's <50% I win, CA or not.

Ugh. Maybe it's because the season ended and the ranked players are in casual, but the number of Ciri:Nova decks I'm running into tonight is disgustingly high. Really hoping for changes that will decrease how often it's used. Having half my games played around one card is anti-fun.

its a very powerful card but sadly it requiers a critical condition witch takes away so many advantages from your hand .. but it can be a big surprises no doubt about it

i have a couple Nova decks and ive found her mostly useless if you dont have the last play
actually, most of the games i played, not only tonight but in general, end with Igni or scorch, or a card that can spawn scorch

Last edited:
My favourite way of winning over CN is to gain CA and handbuff Braenn or a Swordmaster to one shot her. Yeah handbuff isn't that great right now due to vulnerability of dragoons, but damn is it satisfying if you have the last say and manage to one shot Ciri:Nova.

To be honest since posting this I've seen much less nova. Maybe 1 out of 10 games I see her. I think with her being a 22 point card could be a good move in the end because it's been very rare to see a last minute igni. Probably because I always go last.

Every Deck - Ciri: Nova

Well, it seems that taking 3 points off Ciri: Nova has done precisely nothing to affect the ubiquity of the card.

I've seen it in pretty much every match I've played. Even decks that have no business running it, are still running it, because whether it's 22 points or 25 points, if it's the final play of the game it pretty much guarantees a win.

What I don't understand is why they didn't just change it to "Strengthen to 15 then boost to 22". This at least would have opened up counter-play for reset cards, etc.

Top Bottom