Civilization VI Officially announced!

+
Digging the art style way more when it's far away, also loving the way the fog of war looks like.
They said they changed the arty-syle because they wanted gameplay elements (terrain types, etc) to be easily recognizable at a glance - especially the new city-districts.

Personally, I'm not put off it. Cartoony graphics usually don't bother me too much. :)

Cartoony artstyle wouldn't be a big problem, but the fidelity of them is lower than previous games. I am starting to get used to it, but it's still not great imo.

Gameplay additions though - those look really interesting.

Watched some videos about leaders' special abilities. Really like how they're building on Civ 5's approach of giving each leader a unique ability (instead of having a pool of "leader traits" like Civ 4). Special abilities In Civ 6 are even more powerful and varied than they were in Civ 5. :D

Also. Now that I've seen more of the leaders I'm really not a fan of the art-style. It just looks too cartoony for my tastes. I liked Civ 5's balance of cartoon and realism much better.

edit: I really like this Civilization in particular - especially their unique improvement. Nice pick for a Civilization to represent the Asian steppes.

Last edited:
It's pretty cool that Civilizations have multiple leaders Especially since each leader has their own personality. I was just wishing Sparta and Athens were playable civilizations, and then I got home and saw this trailer!

Last edited:
Review when you have time? Pretty please?
I'm still hesitating because of the criticisms of the AI. I mean, I know I'm going to buy this, just not sure when.

Might take a bit of time since my job is killing my freetime at the moment, but for early impressions... Very postitive feelings. Unlike the transition from Civ 4 to Civ 5, the changes that are introduced are actually interesting to explore. The game seems to have a good amount of extra depth due to the the new progression trees, learning through exploration, building and doing stuff, and government types, and the district system feels better than I feared it would. Dunno about AI yet; barbarians don't appear to be the most bright bunch, but who'd expect that from barbarians anyway.

It's so far a familiar, yet new in a good way, experience. Feels fresh learning the new quirks, and I've just gotten started. Lots more to learn. So far no regrets buying at release.

OK. I gave in to temptation and bought it now. Downloading. See you in a couple of years when I've got tired of it :)

But I'm going to be so disappointed if I can't do my favourite Culture Victory by Mass Destruction victory any more.

Well, hopefully they'll make Civ VI good this time. I adored Civ IV but was hugely disappointed in Civ V.

Guest 3847602

Meh, from what I've seen, the game is neither better nor worse than its predecessor, just different - mostly the same systems as before working in slightly different ways. Far too limited pool of civilizations to chose from, at the moment... CIV5 already taught me to wait for expansion or 2 to come out before buying and playing it. Fugly "mobile game wannabe" artstyle ensued this wait will be much easier this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read about a few game breaking bugs.

For one, there is a bug where the costs of districts increases every time a new district is built. Part of this is intentional, but it's bugged so that the cost includes every district built in the game - including those built in other civilizations. Apparently it's so bad that building new districts/cities in the late game is practically impossible.

The other major bug is a diplomatic one. There is a bug where the AI denounces you immediately after asking you to make a joint declaration of war. So basically the Sumerian special ability is completely fucked.

Is it just me? I started off loving it, but am getting more and more annoyed by the stupid AI the more I play.

So far I'm really enjoying the game. The addition of districts and the change to the World Wonders changed everything for me at least. Not to mention the other changes.

The other major bug is a diplomatic one. There is a bug where the AI denounces you immediately after asking you to make a joint declaration of war. So basically the Sumerian special ability is completely fucked.

Didn't happen to me. Asked a Civilization to to make a joint declaration of war and we both went into it.

edit: And now that I've written this massive wall of text, they've released a patch for the game addressing some of these issues. Not all of them are fixed, however.
https://forums.2k.com/showthread.ph...e-Now-Live&s=b6ffe960ca2f79fc959edb6869fd5cb9

Incoming all of text.

I've been playing for a few dozen hours so far, and the game definitely has some outstanding flaws. Namely, the UI and AI are (nearly) completely borked.

The UI is terribly designed. Especially when compared to other Civ games, which are usually are very innovating in this area. This makes the game sluggish because every action takes just that much longer to do and is just that much more frustrating because you have to perform that action through a p*ss poor UI.

The AI is pretty terrible as well. Particularly when it comes to diplomacy. I just don't get 90% of the things AI leaders do... Insulting you for something on one turn. Praising you for the exact same thing 10 turns later.

There also seems to be no standard cost associated with resource trading. In the early game, leaders offered me 5 gold per turn for each luxury resource. In the mid-game, Egypt kept offering me 1 GPT (a single GPT) for a THREE ! luxury resources. In the late game, and France kept offering me "trades" where I give them three luxury resources and open borders for nothing. That's right, LITERALLY NOTHING. This was especially odd considering France denounced me. So it's not like we were allies or anything.

Another example of how bad the AI are leader agendas. Agendas are probably the worst feature ever added to a Civ game. Agendas turn every leader into an ideologue who hates everyone who doesn't fit their obtuse criteria for friendship. Rome is a rapid-expanding Civ that dislikes everyone who is smaller than them (so basically everyone). America declares war on anyone who declares war one anyone else, and refuses to make peace for the rest of the game. Kongo dislikes anyone who doesn't spread their religion to Kongo's cities. In one of my game, Kongo literally kept denouncing me for not spreading my religion to them even though Kongo was literally the farthest civilization away from me. In summary, leader agendas are completely absurd and completely break the diplomatic game in some cases.

A few other annoyances....

The conversion rate for merging units is abysmal. In most cases, merging two units creates a new unit that is only 20% more powerful than one unit of the same type. Oddly enough, adding a third unit is even worse. Adding a third unit only increases by 10% of just one unit. So merging three units creates a new unit that is only 30% more powerful than just one of that unit of that type. It is utterly ridiculous and completely non-sensical. None to mention, the ability to merge units is unlocked too late in the game to help reduce micromanagement anyways.

The new "Casus Belli" system is badly implemented. Unfortunately, you don't unlock any Casus Belis until the Renaissance, and they are all unlocked by the same technology. The circumstances in which Casus Belies can be used are extremely restrictive. So you can expect to get the full Warmonger penalties for waging war in 90% of circumstances. For instance, you can only declare "Holy Wars" if you ask a civilization to stop spreading their religion to your cities, but they keep doing it. Say goodbye to waging Holy Wars in the Middle Ages! They are not the feature I expected.

Other than that, most of the new features are good. City planning is good. Most of the features from Civ V are improved in Civ VI. But this also creates a small problem where there is now much more to do and it becomes overwhelming. This is exacerbated by the p*ss poor UI.

Overall though, Civ VI is definitely an improvement over its predecessors. But it badly needs a patch to fix the UI and AI. And possibly even a mod to fix some of the things designers might refuse to fix. If you haven't already picked this up, then I would recommend waiting until they release a major patch.

Last edited:
Yeah somehow they managed to make the AI in CIV 6 even stupider than the AI in Civ 5. It makes dealing with other civilizations a chore because you never get a fair deal with them, and it's too easy to piss them off by just existing.

After playing some more, I think Civilization 6 might actually be worse than Civ 5.

I've tried a few different civilizations in Civ 6, and I've found there really isn't much difference in your playstyle. No matter what civilization you play as the best strategy is always to go wide early game and transition into going tall around mid-game. Unlike Civ 5, you can go both tall and wide in the same game.

You can also win any victory type with any strategy. In fact, in most of my games I end up winning cultural victories by accident.

It doesn't help that the AI in dumb as !@#$. I've had a couple games where AI civilizations never built more than one city.

I beat Civ 6 for the first time today. I've owned the game for a while but always gave up midway through out of boredom. I agree with Phinnway that Civ 6 is worse than 5. For everything they improved (I love the city planning, being able to name units, eureka stuff and civ cards, etc) it doesn't matter when the Civilizations you can play as are so broken, and the AI is so stupid it makes the game a chore to play.

I realised fairly soon that when the AI sends a delegation to you, they're basically just trying to spy on you before they inevitably denounce you or declare war on you) but if you tell them to go away, they come back. Every single damn turn. When you've met all the civs, this is a nightmare because you waste about 5 minutes per turn just telling them to GTFO.

Not to mention how quick every single Civilization is to hate you forever if you take a couple of cities. It's not historically accurate and it basically destroys trade between the player and the AI because once they've decided they dislike you, the only trade deals they offer are so shit there's no point in agreeing to them.

It's like the developers took the AI of Civ 5 (which was already dumb) and made it even worse. And it really affects the game.

I achieved a domination victory, just out of pure spite because I was so pissed off at the AI that nothing gave me greater pleasure than to wipe Gandhi off the face of the planet. Good riddance

Top Bottom