Clans and Communities for potential multiplayer environment

+

• Clan systems in game sound awesome.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Clans belong outside of the game, oldskool.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • A lobby is enough for me.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I don't play well with others.

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

So my spark was recently re-ignited for CP2077... i mean come on that teaser trailer is just awesome.

Anyway i had a look a the current topics discussed and a quick brows of the multiplayer thread and i was thinking, clans/communities have not really been mentioned much. Given that there may be possibility of a multilayer environment either open world or team games, people naturally coalesce with one another and for the gaming folk this means the creation of clans and/or online communities based around a game.

Now largely this has been handled outside of games, people would get together and form clans and make webpages and forums to hang out outside of the game. But i have seen that games like quake live, diablo 3 and MMO's in general (i don't actually play any MMO's so forgive my assumption here) cater to clan systems and communities 'in game'.

This worked really well, at least the systems i have experienced (QL and D3), it provides a place in game where you are in touch with your clan/community while you play, you may be going it solo or maybe you will ninja into someones game or whatever. It's an interesting idea from my perspective and i think it's a lot more accessible when in game rather then organizing outside of the game.

For CP2077 i can imagine clans of runners, corporation communities springing up, and other such possibilities. It doesn't have to be as full on as some MMO organizations, but it can also be more then just a faceless lobby where you invite friends or search for a open game etc.

What do you folks think about this?

I really have no strong feelings one way or the other, simply because we don't know what the multiplayer will be like yet.

If there is any sense of competitive PVP or an open world MMORPG style setting, then I think there should be some sort of clan/guild/corp organization system, if only to give some visual recognition of your group.

If we end up with just a cooperative lobby system, then it really serves no purpose and thus isn't worth the dev time.

So, just kinda depends. As it stands right now, I won't be angry either with or without it, because the extent of the multiplayer is entirely unknown right now.

there is definitely something to be said for solo play, it lets you experiance the game like nothing else, at your own pace and in your own way.

However i am also looking at this game for the long term, you know, one of those games that you play for 10 years or something, a game that just keeps on keeping on. In that respect when all is said and done from solo story modes then i think the multiplayer aspect grows a life of its' own.

But obviously thats very subjective as to what the game will actually be, i'm not fussed either way, i do like the idea of a more connected game between teh player base however hence the thought about integrated clan systems and such. To each his own. Regardless of what happens this is probably my most anticipated game and i'm just excited about it again lol :D no concept comes close to the awesome of CP2020/77 afterall

let corporations be formed and let other people buy shares, buy/setup TV coverage and ads around the city.

Scams will be plentiful.

For a traditional clan, it would be useful I think to have a feature like clan chat

Clans don't appear until 3049.
What you did there. I see it. =p

<-- Kurita all day

I like the "Crew" system in GTA V; I like that there's tools available to create a specific tag / logo for your crew, that you can then put on various clothing items and vehicles.

A built-in Crew or Clan mechanic would be a nice bonus, but it certainly wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

I'd really like some kind of system that allows you to build your own gang/family. I'd imagine it'd be pretty useful for nomads. I'd also like to play as a medtech first time around so I'd like to make up a group so I can work as support for them if multiplayer ends up being a thing for this game.

However i am also looking at this game for the long term, you know, one of those games that you play for 10 years or something, a game that just keeps on keeping on.

Well, let's look at some of the PC games that folks are still (re)playing 10 years later.

Fallout (1997)
Baldurs Gate (1998 )
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Neverwinter Nights (2002)

In all cases story-centric RPGs with interesting NPC companions.
It's interesting to note that none of these are "action" games, FPS games, or multi-player games (tho fan content did make some of them muli-player capable).

It's interesting to note that none of these are "action" games, FPS games, or multi-player games (tho fan content did make some of them muli-player capable).

System Shock 2 (1999)
Deus Ex (2000)

Just filling in some gaps for you :)

How many single-player games are still played by any one person for several years? You may go back to it occasionally, but the interest and popularity is mainly from new generations of gamers discovering the historical treasures. Good MP games, on the other hand, still do seem to get played by the same people for years.

So I think the main reason for the rarity of MP after 10 years isn't lack of "legs" in the game, but the need to maintain the servers. The problem isn't so much MP itself as the fact that it became used for DRM, with the result that the servers were killed off once it stopped being economically viable.

Well, let's look at some of the PC games that folks are still (re)playing 10 years later.

Fallout (1997)
Baldurs Gate (1998 )
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Neverwinter Nights (2002)

In all cases story-centric RPGs with interesting NPC companions.

Pffft.

Quake Live
Unreal Tournament 1
Starcraft <-Still a HUGELY popular game
Doom
Duke Nukem 3d
Metal slugs
I thinkj Counter-strike 1.6 also.

And many more

I have no doubt you know the action/FPS market FAR better then I do.

There's no way to know for sure how many people actually play these older games, but I do find it interesting that an "Enhanced Edition" of Baldurs Gate and a "new" Torment (well, Torment-like, not the same setting as that's owned by Wizards of the Coast) are being developed.

Let me tell you a brief story.

The other night, I stood high atop a virtual skyscraper, in a friend's apartment. I was watching virtual Los Angeles spread out before me. We talked about his day, my day. He showed me one of his new acquisitions. We remarked about his character's dubious taste in phallic art and debated whether a cubbyhole was a bookshelf as well.

After awhile, a stranger buzzed to be let in. He did so, and we were bemused that "she" made straight for the alcohol and marijuana. In a video game, no less. I found her clothing taste deplorable and went outside to shoot her when she exited. It made me feel better, at least until she took her revenge.

After that, we spent some time cooperating in one of his undone missions in-game before I logged for the night.

He lives on the other side of the continent. Hanging out with his virtual self is quite likely as close as we will ever come to actual time together. Such is modern life in our expanded communities.

That's why I want MP in Cyberpunk 2077 and clans, communities and Teams. Because for some of you assholes, that's the closest I'll ever get to having a drink with you, going for a walk with you, or laughing together about the random idiocy of visiting strangers.

Well, that and shooting Suzy with a micro-missile launcher a whole lot until she rage-quits. Heh heh heh. Because happiness is a prison and I want to free you from your prisons.

Well, that and shooting Suzy with a micro-missile launcher a whole lot until she rage-quits. Heh heh heh. Because happiness is a prison and I want to free you from your prisons.

Any particular reason you'd use a micro-missile launcher as opposed to some other weapon?

Let me tell you a brief story.

The other night, I stood high atop a virtual skyscraper, in a friend's apartment. I was watching virtual Los Angeles spread out before me. We talked about his day, my day. He showed me one of his new acquisitions. We remarked about his character's dubious taste in phallic art and debated whether a cubbyhole was a bookshelf as well.

After awhile, a stranger buzzed to be let in. He did so, and we were bemused that "she" made straight for the alcohol and marijuana. In a video game, no less. I found her clothing taste deplorable and went outside to shoot her when she exited. It made me feel better, at least until she took her revenge.

After that, we spent some time cooperating in one of his undone missions in-game before I logged for the night.

He lives on the other side of the continent. Hanging out with his virtual self is quite likely as close as we will ever come to actual time together. Such is modern life in our expanded communities.

That's why I want MP in Cyberpunk 2077 and clans, communities and Teams. Because for some of you assholes, that's the closest I'll ever get to having a drink with you, going for a walk with you, or laughing together about the random idiocy of visiting strangers.

Sounds like you've read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. If not you really should.

After awhile, a stranger buzzed to be let in. He did so, and we were bemused that "she" made straight for the alcohol and marijuana. In a video game, no less. I found her clothing taste deplorable and went outside to shoot her when she exited.
...that is SO choice. I heartily approve of these shenanigans.

Top Bottom