'Classic' Gameplay Mode / Difficulty Setting

+

'Classic' Gameplay Mode / Difficulty Setting

• Yes, add customizability to streamlined features/mechanics through either options or a game mode.

Votes: 132 75.0%
  • No, don't care about the loss of extra immersion by streamlining and don't mind to be hand-held.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Maybe, have to see to what extent the functionality of features/mechanics has been streamlined.

Votes: 37 21.0%

• Total voters
In the monster bestiary you can see strength/weakness of a monster
In the potion screen you can see the strength/weakness of a potion
The recommended section just puts 2 infos you already had to gather by yourself together.

If you are "casual" and do not care about TW3's system you never gathered the info and you will not get a "recommended" section at all.
And you most likely play on an easier difficulty system and do not need the extra oompf.

But if you bump up the difficulty and start using the systems its listing something you already know. It is of no use there but pure convenience, maybe having to do 1 less click. That does not justify imo putting time into developing this feature

it is unnecessary imo. it is neither dumbing down nor making it harder, it just erases maybe one click in practise. Time better spent elsewhere imo.

And I still hope that alchemy system from TW1 will come back with some kinds of modifications.

Me too. The second game is become better a lot of ways than the first, but not in the alchemy. I don't say that it was bad, but it was simple. I don't think that it would be harder to buy/search for vodka ie for the base of the potion. That was my first part of my ritual before I go to dangerous place. And for me, the witchers are all about this kind of rituals. You can do that in TW2 as well, but it is different. You don't need to save the place for the base of the potion, because there wasn't. It is a little thing, but it is counts when you are roleplaying. Of course they added the armour upgrades and stuff like that. Speaking of invertory, I don't liked the TW2's invertory at all. It was a complete mess compared to the first one. Of course I can live with that, and I will do it in the case of the third game as well.

Anyway, I would be more than happy if you have to eat, drink and rest after certain amount of time, it is adds to the immersion for me. Heck, let me just eat and drink like in the first game, and the rest I do by roleplaying. I don't need any system under it, just give me the possibility to this.

Another thing that probably could be made triggerable via a gameplay option or something.

Check 'Limited Witcher Senses' (or something along those lines) and Geralt will only get tracks, blood, noises and all the hunt-related stuff highlighted but not interaction points such as ledges to grapple on.
And that already would be a whooping 2 (together with 'Advanced Alchemy') sensible (imho) gameplay options the devs could maybe, possibly take into consideration for implementation(?).

After WOW! effect from the trailer and demo wore off, it feels like the game gets dumbed down with each chapter.

The game:

1) tells us where to go (Witcher sense)
2) tells us what potions/oils to use against certain monster
3) gives us unrestricted fast travel
4) don't have W1 alchemy system (it was probably to difficult for western gamers)
5) don't feature drinking and eating
6) combat looks ghastly (in demo)

For god's sake, let's have settings for advanced preferences.
I don't want to press a button and have a griffin to be delivered on a plate to me.
I want to find this little guy from the demo myself.
And find the best spot for climbing myself.
And make my mistakes and die.
I don't want to be led by a hand.
CDPRed, you can name this mode "Unforgiving Mode" but do it please.
It's not like it's some special effort - just no Witcher sense, no hints for monster hunting, it's less resources from game actually.

On the other hand, there is a part of gamers nobody basically thinks about - people who play Witcher series for story only, who don't want of cannot get used to the combat and find some battles unplayable. Think about Her Majesty (W1) or Kayran (W2). I personally have elder relatives who love the books and the games but are not gamers and simply lack reaction or what it's called to complete hard chapters of the games. Easy modes in both previous games were just words - you had to follow certain steps to kill bosses, one miss and you are dead, on all difficulties.
Make boss battles on easy mode as cut-scenes of Geralt killing the monster. Job done!

I'm evil, I know.

1999 mode? Sure, as long as you still find it fun to play. If you want the extra challenge I guess a 1999 mode is okay, but isn't that what the highest difficulty setting should represent? What is 1999 mode really? And why that year? Because of System Shock 2? That was a really good game, but not that difficult to be honest so why call it that? I'm all for remembering the good old days with the good old games, but I'm not one who would finish any of them on highest difficulty without ever saving. Or dying. For me, that's not fun at all and I do play games for fun.

Games, if properly balanced, should cater to all kinds of playthroughs, from casual to challenging. I guess it's all about the initial difficulty settings, but what is considered easy or hard? Is medium or normal difficulty setting the intended difficulty of the devs? Often that's what I start with on my first playthrough. Games like the Witcher I crank up to the highest(as long as I can save my game), as well as games that have the 'Realistic' setting like Deus Ex. Because if you play them right, they can be beaten while also being fun. It's about strategy and learning, while also have the freedom to play your own way after having adapted to the game's rules. Gothic taught me that. Well Gothic is one of many games that taught me that, but Gothic stands out as being an overwhelming game at first but slowly starts rewarding you for fighting on.

Then there are the games with unbalanced difficulty settings. The original Far Cry is one such example. Well I wouldn't call it balanced. I managed to beat it once and then I tried a couple of times more, but never really got into it or found it fun ever again.

What I am adamant about however is not confusing 1999 mode with Hardcore mode. I find that they are two different things entirely. Both are about challenge, but Hardcore is also about immersion. I love Hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas(eating and drinking, sleeping and healing limbs properly), and I'd love for Witcher 3 to have a Hardcore mode. A 1999 mode wouldn't interest me. Isn't Insane difficulty in Witcher 2 challenging enough? Die once and start over from the beginning? How can you top that? And why would you want to?

Sorry about that. What are we talking about? Fast travel? And not being able to fast travel while in Hardcore mode, but to actually be forced to travel the distance instead? Well I'm all for beautiful vistas so count me in! :lol: Throw in some carrot meter for Roach as well, while at it. ;)

After WOW! effect from the trailer and demo wore off, it feels like the game gets dumbed down with each chapter.

The game:

4) don't have W1 alchemy system (it was probably to difficult for western gamers)

For god's sake, let's have settings for advanced preferences.
I don't want to press a button and have a griffin to be delivered on a plate to me.
I want to find this little guy from the demo myself.
And find the best spot for climbing myself.
And make my mistakes and die.
I don't want to be led by a hand.
CDPRed, you can name this mode "Unforgiving Mode" but do it please.
It's not like it's some special effort - just no Witcher sense, no hints for monster hunting, it's less resources from game actually.

On the other hand, there is a part of gamers nobody basically thinks about - people who play Witcher series for story only, who don't want of cannot get used to the combat and find some battles unplayable. Think about Her Majesty (W1) or Kayran (W2). I personally have elder relatives who love the books and the games but are not gamers and simply lack reaction or what it's called to complete hard chapters of the games. Easy modes in both previous games were just words - you had to follow certain steps to kill bosses, one miss and you are dead, on all difficulties.
Make boss battles on easy mode as cut-scenes of Geralt killing the monster. Job done!

I'm evil, I know.
Hi Nucta! How are you? Long time no see! :welcome: I actually agree with much of what you say, and I would love the return of Witcher 1 alchemy system and new elements in what I would call a Hardcore mode. But I also want to update your 'On the other hand' section. So on the other hand not all western gamers are gamers that want handholding, to be catered to, or games to be dumbed down.

I never found alchemy in Witcher 1 difficult, but you would probably still call me a westerner since I live where I live. It's getting pretty tiresome to hear it to be honest, so can you dial it down please? East or west, north or south, the ones you really are referring to are gamers that want devs to cater to them because they can't play games without being led safely all the way. Don't pin that on any nationality.

I, a westerner, play many games on highest difficulty and would love a Hardcore mode or even a Unforgiving mode as you would call it.
As long as I can choose my own difficulty and path, and see that the devs implement player choice :)victory:) I'm all game!

Last edited:

Guest 2686910

As I don't entirely agree, let us go point by point"
Don't have to use it - the hints are visible anyway, just not as much. But I don't really like it either, so yeah. Not that cool.
That's after you researched the monster. It's too early to jump to conclusions on that one. We have to wait and see how it's implemented, it may be just streamlining the UI (instead of looking through the journal, you just look up the inventory screen)
Only it doesn't. You have to be near a crossroad sign to use it. And you don't have to use it. I don't see an issue here.
Don't be condescending to western gamers. With that out of the way, I don't like this too. But will reserve my judgement until the release - it might be implemented in such a way that it may be a drastic improvement. But I'm not holding my breath.
Only the first game did, and it was mainly pointless. And if you want a survival simulator, Don't Starve is supposedly pretty good. It's not needed, so why bother?
Disagree entirely. I don't know if you're talking about the mechanics (which look substantially better than second's combat) or difficulty (which was dialed back for purposes of a presentation) but I disagree.

Oh, and on topic: sure, why not. As a veteran of the series and a whole franchise I'd definitely at least try it. The only factor against is the time constraint. If such a mode was to exist, it mustn't be at the expense of the rest of the game. Maybe as a free DLC down the line?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could OP/moderators add poll to this thread and make it official (forum's) thread for adding Master Witcher or whatever it's named mode which could be added as part of free patch,be present from day one or paid dlc by CD Projekt and which would include alchemy system from Witcher 1,more complex fighting and Witcher senses,food and drink inluding alcohol,fisstech etc. ?

I like the idea of a hard mode/old school, something like Fallout NW did with hardcore mode.
Or even better, custom difficulty set up, like some games do.
Why I want it? Be course when you letting me to use fast travel, I will give up eventually and start using it. (And it is bad, Bad, I'm telling ya!)
Even if on my first play through I will rush in search for Ciri, not even giving a damn about side quests.
There will be my second play through, from which ill try get 100% immersion.

I like the idea of a hard mode/old school, something like Fallout NW did with hardcore mode.
Or even better, custom difficulty set up, like some games do.
Why I want it? Be course when you letting me to use fast travel, I will give up eventually and start using it. (And it is bad, Bad, I'm telling ya!)
Even if on my first play through I will rush in search for Ciri, not even giving a damn about side quests.
There will be my second play through, from which ill try get 100% immersion.

Options to modify the game like in XCOM would be great, to add some extra challenge. :)

The fast travel system is not something that is a problem, I would spend a lot of time wondering through the world, but sometimes you just want to get quickly somewhere, no need to force you to waste time.

Options to modify the game like in XCOM would be great, to add some extra challenge. :)

The fast travel system is not something that is a problem, I would spend a lot of time wondering through the world, but sometimes you just want to get quickly somewhere, no need to force you to waste time.

Exactly its more about tuning difficulty for your self.

Alright, Take 2 (after the first one got the thread prematurely merged due to flawed wording on my end, again, apologies):

In face of the recent potions controversy I wondered if it actually would be that much of an effort to implement 'non-streamlined' versions of procedures/mechanisms that are deemed 'too tedious' by a certain chunk of the audience and consolidate them into a special 'Classic' gameplay mode / difficulty setting (or something along those lines) for the other chunk of the audience that, for instance, wouldn't mind riding those 20 minutes from North to South instead of using Fast Travel?

Would you welcome the addition of such a 'Classic' / '1999' / 'Old School' mode for that extra bit of masochistic tedium challenge?

Absolute. Especially in a SP game, where there is no issue of "cheating" due to preference, I feel the ability to add more options that games may want enabled/disabled, only makes the product more enjoyable.

There have been users who don't feel this way, and even though I respect their opinion, I cannot possibly see how the proposed method could in any way harm them or detract from their personal playthrough. What features they do and do not want, THEY can choose. Simply allow others to make the same choice.

You'll make more people happy by supporting A AND B rather than A OR B.

@mikomakjenkins
More complex fighting as more options to dodge,do piruets,block etc.

Since we don't know everything yet we will have to wait for more info about that segment.Plus it's still work in progress so things will hopefully change for better.

Guest 2686910

@mikomakjenkins
More complex fighting as more options to dodge,do piruets,block etc.

Since we don't know everything yet we will have to wait for more info about that segment.Plus it's still work in progress so things will hopefully change for better.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

With all due respect I think it's way too early to think about combat being oversimplified. All we really have as of now is ~4 minutes worth of pure combat footage, played on easiest difficulty available. Let us see a developers diary first, maybe another gameplay. By the way, the more I think about it, improvements, if they're needed, should be to the combat system as a whole, not only on one difficulty. Or were you implying that the game should require more usage of dodges and stuff from the player? Then I entirely agree.

We'll have to see how the combat holds up when fighting tough enemies, heavy armor/shields, not some ragtag bandits, and of course on a high difficulty setting. :)

The depth of combat should be robust, IMO, where the player needs to learn (quite possibly by reading books or training with trainers in the game world) about different enemy archetypes, etc. Let me give some examples.

We all know that, as far as a simple "tactic" goes, you should use your steel sword for humans and silver for monsters. That's a simple binary option. But, let's say that somewhere out there is an enemy type who though even a monster, takes significantly less damage from silver swords than steel. Now, the player may come across this fact by testing, but they also have the opportunity to learn it via the game world (books, trainers, etc.).

TW1 has different stance styles to deal with certain types of enemies as well. Using the wrong style often made it so you could not land successful attacks on the enemy. A variance like this could be introduced as well.

Also, IMO, multi-enemy combat should be exponentially dangerous, since many enemies can attack at one time, it's hard to keep an eye for key signs from those vectors. This is where area-affecting bombs, sword oils for temp boosts and traps to ensnare and ensure you are dealing with less enemies at once come into play. True enough, if you lower the difficulty to much, these tactics become less crucial to success than just hacking your sword at people, but for those who enjoy the challenge, you need to press every tactical advantage you can.

Top Bottom