Climbing skyscrapers: screenshots / views, issues, ideas

+
1st thing 1st: to do this, you'll want epic (purple) quality "hover" leg implant. Blue "double jump" is far not as good. Thus, everything following assumes you have the hover one - and know how to use it (some hints about it, i'll give below).

So, i found a way to climb some scyscrapers in southern Japantown - means, from street level all the way to their roofs. I hope to add screenshots a bit later, showing full path of one climb. Lots of buildings' roofs and places is available to explore "up there", i didn't even stepped on half of what's available by the looks of it, so still plenty to go. It's like whole another city layer up there. Thus, it seems plenty of interesting bits can be found there, probably more than just one guy like me could hope to discover all by their own.

This is why i'm very much interested to hear and see from any other "climber" out there - stories, screenshots, ideas related to climbing things anywhere.

To start with, here's few extra bits which may be interesting.

One key technique to climb things - is "delayed backwards jump" with hover legs, i found. Which is, when standing / sitting on some edge, with another edge available to get into somewhat "next floor" above - run backwards until V is starting to fall and _then_ activate hover legs, while looking up and "steering" while in the air, to grab higher-floor edge and climb into it. This allows to climb even through "each upper floor is extending further than one below it" structures, with good timing. Mastering the move is quite crucial.

Another key technique to climb things - is "long jump" with hover legs. Which allows to jump from one building to another across even wide streets. Basically you get V to sprint off the edge and do _single_ (non-hover) jump, then after short while (while in the air) active "hover" jump, and after still longer while - activate "hovering" mode. This allows to cross several dozens meters in the air without losing "altitude", and even longer distance with some loss of height.

Another thing, in some cases, Kerenzikov can be much helpful to do even much longer horizontal jumps - by initiating the jump using Kerenzikov's "speed glitch". Though personally i prefer not to do it, as it's probably not intended feature of the game, and indeed it's not needed for climbing Japantown scryscrapers mentioned above, at all. Still, for some "extreme exploration", may be helpful to have it and use it for some special occasions.

And one last - for now - thing: i found that some higher scyscrapers there in Japantown have several of their most upper floors lacking collision detection. I.e. they are rendered visually, but not physically. Walls and floors completely made of thin air. It puzzles me why this is so, especially for the scyscraper in which Kerry's personal appartment (on very top floor), which appartment and roof have proper collision detection in 'em - but some floors directly under do not! How and why this is happening? Is it only in my game, or for everyone? Is there any way to fix it (without mods)?

More ways to get to places. Hover legs are a big thing. You can use the active hover with aiming at any time to reset fall height.

The cyberware ' Manourving System ' lets you dodge mid-air giving you another way to save your self from a fall or extend how far you can go, add that with a Kerenzikov's and get that glitch in a more legit way. Qiant Sandevistan is an OS with a 12sec time dilation with a 15sec CD.

Get the SUV you can buy, it's the tallest spawnable car V can get. Park it next to somewhere and use that as a jump point.

Get on to an NCART line, they go over many places and travel a very long way.

------

Got into the Petrochem place in Arroyo, that place is nothing but low res textures and open map holes to fall through. Both nothing to look at or climb and just plain unsafe to wander around. However there is a couple working vending machines and an npc cooking food :/

More ways to get to places. Hover legs are a big thing. You can use the active hover with aiming at any time to reset fall height.

The cyberware ' Manourving System ' lets you dodge mid-air giving you another way to save your self from a fall or extend how far you can go, add that with a Kerenzikov's and get that glitch in a more legit way. Qiant Sandevistan is an OS with a 12sec time dilation with a 15sec CD.

Get the SUV you can buy, it's the tallest spawnable car V can get. Park it next to somewhere and use that as a jump point.

Get on to an NCART line, they go over many places and travel a very long way.

------

Got into the Petrochem place in Arroyo, that place is nothing but low res textures and open map holes to fall through. Both nothing to look at or climb and just plain unsafe to wander around. However there is a couple working vending machines and an npc cooking food :/
Good ideas!

One thing about 'ware, though: low-reflexes V is unable to use some of those. Sandevistans would need 15...18, maneuvering system needs 14, afaict.

And yep, most high places are like that - "low res textures and map holes". Saving often and watching one's steps goes without saying. Me, i mainly enjoy climbing for the process of it and for the views, too - ain't like it any productive way to find "secrets". A few can be found that way, like that mysterious Excalibur hovering exactly where it's barely reachable from the top of Kerry's place (can jump right on top of it, and _can_ further jump down from it all the way to street level without dying), in Japantown, which can be scanned (doesn't show it's "available", but neither shows it's "locked" or anyhow owned, too), and can be damaged / blown up. Perhaps it'll be "ownable" after finishing the game, which i did not do yet? %)

And one last - for now - thing: i found that some higher scyscrapers there in Japantown have several of their most upper floors lacking collision detection. I.e. they are rendered visually, but not physically. Walls and floors completely made of thin air. It puzzles me why this is so, especially for the scyscraper in which Kerry's personal appartment (on very top floor), which appartment and roof have proper collision detection in 'em - but some floors directly under do not! How and why this is happening? Is it only in my game, or for everyone? Is there any way to fix it (without mods)?

I've been earnestly exploring NC for two months now in order to ride a monorail train in various parts of the map. Obviously, I also tried to climb many of the buildings and posted some result (and instructions) in this thread. I use Double Jump mostly and do not resort to any cheats (including Kereznikow one). Unfortunately, there are some serious problems with climbing many of the buildings in NC.

Firstly, even some seemingly solid objects (beams, ramps, roofs, awnings, air conditioning covers, street lamps, pipes etc.) do not have a collision data. It was removed completely. They are just dummies. Therefore you cannot use them to get to a higher ground. I do not think it can be fixed (even with the use of mods) as we do not have proper tools to change geometry in the maps.

Secondly, there are many invisible walls around the city. It is really noticeable (and annoying at the same time) in Northside, Little China and Pacifica. These barriers are there to prevent the player from entering some monorail stations and tracks that are located close to the roads or roofs (e.g. in the vicinity of Afterlife). Of course, the huge part of Pacifica is blocked off, especially if you try to enter the stadium area from south. Fortunately, some of these invisible walls are "climbable" with the use of Double Jump. And some are located in really unfortunate spots as they make climbing many building impossible.

Thirdly, many surfaces in higher parts of the city are covered in a "slippery" texture. One can go up a specific spot only to find out that any further climbing is impossible because V's hands just slip off the edges. Even if one manages to jump on such flat surface from above, he/she will slip and fall down immediately. It is the most annoying experience for any player who wants to try urban exploration in Night City.

Anyway, one of the best ways to get on many roofs is to get on the monorail tracks first and follow them to a place that is often located above some very high buildings.

Last edited:
Yep, public transportation system thread you made has good details about climbing, and i knew about it, but still made this one as sorta place to post things exactly devoted to climbing things. Heck even mountains if we get to that one day. Anything. :)

Also excellent post in here, Bukary77. I think among me, you and Elunedra, we pretty much covered all the basics of climbing things. I'm sure many will take interest in it - with time (and hopefully, with patches / DLCs down the road).

And here's screenshots i promised above - climbing to many, many roofs in Japantown using hover legs only. Sorry for low quality preset - my rig is geriatric and can't handle any better with satisfactory FPS in all locations. Full 1080p though, for details.

1st screenshot is the map with nearest fast travel point highlighted. Following screenshots all have V's crosshairs pointing to the spot from where next screenshot is taken from. Last couple screenshots is just to show how to get close to that Excalbur. Few screenshots earlier, there will be a "blind" jump to a roof piece not visible behind a wall, and after climbing couple "floors" from that roof, texture clipping (no collision) will start to play part. From the level where texture clipping starts, one can jump to some nearby buildings if performing long jumps well, and from them to still others. Also, several branching climbing paths are possible to go from "lower" levels.

This path also includes getting right into monorail line, which also leads to other possible climbing opportunities.
Japantown_climb_mk1_p1.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p2.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p3.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p4.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p5.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p6.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p7.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p8.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p9.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p10.jpg

Woops, "can only attach 10 files". Well to be continued then... %)
Post automatically merged:

climb screens 11 to 20:
Japantown_climb_mk1_p11.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p12.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p13.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p14.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p15.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p16.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p17.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p18.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p19.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p20.jpg

and 3 last ones:
Japantown_climb_mk1_p21.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p22.jpg

Japantown_climb_mk1_p23.jpg

Last edited:
I've been earnestly exploring NC for two months now in order to ride a monorail train in various parts of the map. Obviously, I also tried to climb many of the buildings and posted some result (and instructions) in this thread. I use Double Jump mostly and do not resort to any cheats (including Kereznikow one). Unfortunately, there are some serious problems with climbing many of the buildings in NC.

Firstly, even some seemingly solid objects (beams, ramps, roofs, awnings, air conditioning covers, street lamps, pipes etc.) do not have a collision data. It was removed completely. They are just dummies. Therefore you cannot use them to get to a higher ground. I do not think it can be fixed (even with the use of mods) as we do not have proper tools to change geometry in the maps.

Secondly, there are many invisible walls around the city. It is really noticeable (and annoying at the same time) in Northside, Little China and Pacifica. These barriers are there to prevent the player from entering some monorail stations and tracks that are located close to the roads or roofs (e.g. in the vicinity of Afterlife). Of course, the huge part of Pacifica is blocked off, especially if you try to enter the stadium area from south. Fortunately, some of these invisible walls are "climbable" with the use of Double Jump. And some are located in really unfortunate spots as they make climbing many building impossible.

Thirdly, many surfaces in higher parts of the city are covered in a "slippery" texture. One can go up a specific spot only to find out that any further climbing is impossible because V's hands just slip off the edges. Even if one manages to jump on such flat surface from above, he/she will slip and fall down immediately. It is the most annoying experience for any player who wants to try urban exploration in Night City.

Anyway, one of the best ways to get on many roofs is to get on the monorail tracks first and follow them to a place that is often located above some very high buildings.
You can get into the stadium by running down a NCART line starting all the way back in City Center. Look for the section with rainbow covering of LED lights.

The Glen, little point in exploring that I've found.

You can reach high places without leg imps and in those places not even 6 floors up and already world holes. No loot to be found anywhere outside of event locations. No interactable anything outside event locations.

I thought the Badlands was an after thought location, but here is just wow.

Sure, you can do it and are rewarded with some pretty cool views. But that's it... I haven't found ANY content in these areas that has made it worth it, over and above the challenge of the climb. I do admit, it is fun to leap from skyscraper to skyscraper and makes you think V is a total badass.... but then the fragile house of cards comes tumbling down as the immersion breaks as you start clipping through architecture and seeing weird graphical glitches. :sad:

I think the surface geometry of this game is mostly built using small triangular 'tiles' in a strange zig zag and oblique way instead of wire frames with large surfaces. I'd guess this is done so V's movements and interact-able object behaviors can be better tracked by the game's physics engine.

So collision detection or 'solid' grounds can be quite difficult to predict especially while you're climbing high objects. Because the world in essence is mostly made with 'tiles' of various sizes you can fall through one even if it 'looks' identical to the other.

Before the game was released, the map of Night City leaked and it was revealed that Cyberpunk's map was smaller than The Witcher 3, but that was compensated by being denser, having more verticality and the ability to enter buildings and "megastructures".

Do you guys feel like this is true? Did you guys find any megastructures (lots of levels, lots of malls, garages, residential in the same building) in the game?

Actual quote:

"The overall size of Cyberpunk 2077’s world may be smaller than that of The Witcher 3, but each area now packs a lot more content."

One source (there are lots): https://www.vg247.com/2019/08/26/cyberpunk-2077-world-smaller-than-the-witcher-3-but-denser/

Yes and no with verticality. Some places have lots of it, some have none of it. Watson and Japan town have the most.

Before the game was released, the map of Night City leaked and it was revealed that Cyberpunk's map was smaller than The Witcher 3, but that was compensated by being denser, having more verticality and the ability to enter buildings and "megastructures".

Do you guys feel like this is true? Did you guys find any megastructures (lots of levels, lots of malls, garages, residential in the same building) in the game?

Actual quote:

"The overall size of Cyberpunk 2077’s world may be smaller than that of The Witcher 3, but each area now packs a lot more content."

One source (there are lots): https://www.vg247.com/2019/08/26/cyberpunk-2077-world-smaller-than-the-witcher-3-but-denser/

Open door [locked]

Ran into stairs that had no way to walk up but no invisible wall forcing you to do small jumps up them?

I have a few.

photomode_15022021_034207.jpg

photomode_14022021_150308.jpg

photomode_06012021_193819.jpg

photomode_15122020_003024.jpg

photomode_15022021_034131.jpg

photomode_16022021_034414.jpg

photomode_17012021_185721.jpg

photomode_22012021_230106.jpg

photomode_15022021_035652.jpg

The block around the Valentino Alley FT. It's chalked full of head scratchers.

A pipe not attached to the ground and terminators after a couple bends leading to nowhere.
A couple fire escapes that lead to fake roofs, no solid ground above them and no need to cyberlegs to get up them.

There is still more things of WTF moments in this area.

West of the fixer in Central City, right next to where the John and Holly McClain Die Hard reference is found. There are road K-rails with ' road closed ' on them, on the roof that is not a road.

North of the FT Hasley & MLK is a set of stairs you can climb, go all the way up is an overhead walkway. This walkway is all kinds of broken and you didn't need any jumping or exploiting to get here. You can also get to this walkway by taking the elevator that you use to get to the gun shop, except go to the 3rd floor.

Last edited:
Here is a head scratcher.

South of the Wraith Camp FT is a body of water, just east of its shoreline is a fenced off area with barbed wire, this area contains nothing. You can run up to this fence from both sides with ease.

Go to Columbarium FT, head southeast and jump off the cliff. This area has some head scratching. There is one spot with a grate in the ground projecting light, a little farther east and down the next cliff is another of the same grate and light but more out of the ground, in front of it is a bunch of floating rocks and grass.

Under the pier next to the roller coaster, go under the water. The pylons holding the pier do not go under the water, they stop at the surface...but there is a hidden cache down there too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom