Coinflip replacement idea

+
Coinflip replacement idea

What if, instead of the coinflip, players were given a chance to predict cards they think are in the other player's deck for a chance to play second? It could be called surveying the battlefield or something and could work like this
Each player is simultaneously given a list of the cards of the faction the opponent will be playing, listed like in deck builder, l and is given 10 seconds or so to guess the first card. The first player to guess correctly goes second. If they both guess right, continue the predictions until one guesses wrong, and then has to go first. Being a short minigame based on skill and knowledge of the game, it could encourage diversity since predictable meta decks would be at a constant disadvantage.
Do you think this is a good replacement idea?
Do you think that knowing the opponents faction (not their leader though) enables you to consistently guess multiple cards that they will play? Do you think this would make it tiresome and repetative?

Last edited:
An interesting concept, I'd say, although I'm uncertain how well it would work in practice, given meta-deck trends. Perhaps guessing the value of an unknown, random 'starter' card could be an alternative (like Gaunter O'Dimm's Gamble)? For example: Each player would guess whether the card is higher or lower than a certain value, and whoever guessed rightly would go first.

I know Burza mentioned a potential 'Initiative' system, based on the faction leaders, for determining which player would begin, but I'm a bit hazy on the details.

Riven-Twain;n10799311 said:
[...]
I know Burza mentioned a potential 'Initiative' system, based on the faction leaders, for determining which player would begin, but I'm a bit hazy on the details.
essentially it's a fixed number system... each leader gets a number, if Leader A's Number is smaller than leader B's, they go first, always. the finer details (like ties, and modifiers) weren't mentioned. I've seen it used before... and thoroughly hate it.

I'd really like to see some more proactive moves available, which would solve the whole problem completely and a self balancing system (assuming that's not what's already in place) for the coinflip would be nice (-1 for each blue, +1 for each red, whoever has the larger value gets blue)

I am still partial to the idea that both players play at the same time. This would eliminate the problem of coinflip completely, and make games faster overall.

anhrhte;n10799271 said:
continue the predictions until one guesses wrong

I believe continuation of predictions would only result in nailing the type of deck you are up against, which is one of the themes of Nilfgaard reveal already.

I like the suggestion, but maybe add speed as a factor; whoever guesses correctly first, within 10 seconds, gets to go second.

Void_Singer;n10799921 said:
essentially it's a fixed number system... each leader gets a number, if Leader A's Number is smaller than leader B's, they go first, always. the finer details (like ties, and modifiers) weren't mentioned.
That's approximately how I understood it. I've no opinion yet on its merits, though.

I think it sucks. Your deck will be so leader dependent that way. But I have yet to hear of any details so I've reserved this opinion. If it is, like it sounds, and nothing beyond that, I can't think of a way it would work. But I doubt CDPR is going to release it like that. It's going to be modified, surely.

Top Bottom