Colby CX410 Butte from the Dessert Film Set

+
Hello, recently I got the issue with this car not being there even if I had never been to the place in my two playthroughs, but after seeing Deconstructing the Game mentioning in a stream there was a free car there I decided to go there to just find the crime scene. After investigating a bit about the topic and seeing different takes in why it may or not spawn I loaded the save from my first playthrough and got the car with it. This may or not be a bug so I open the discussion to why it may or not spawn in this topic. Now I'll explain the differences between my playthorughs.

Second and current playthrough:
-Nomad
-Now at Act 3.
-Every Badlands task and scanner activity completed.
-I did the I'll Fly Away task (more on this later)
Fisrt playthrough:
-Also Nomad.
-Every Badlands side quest and gig completed but not the scanner activities
-I missed the I'll Fly Away task.
-It is an after Star ending savegame.
-Every sidequest and gig that appears on the map completed.

My theory is that maybe when I completed the I'll fly Away task I got close enough for the Colby to spawn, but I did not trigger at the time the Trauma Team AV leaving, I just ignore the place until a two days ago I went there for the car and saw the AV leaving but no car. So most likely the trigger area for one thing is much bigger than the other and just getting in the general area but not really getting close would make the car spawn and thus disappear after some time.

Some people say that the car may dissapear for spending too much time from the moment you enter the Badlands or completing some of the Nomad quests but it seems it is just related with getting to the vicinity of the area as my first plpaythrough was far longer the current one and both have those potentially related quests completed but the I'll Fly Away one, I don't think the task is related, but it forced me to pass by there.

According to the official guide you have to be quick to get it. Preferably, pretty much as soon as you are done with the prologue and the lockdown ends.
Not sure of the breakpoint here though, but if it's something that a player must have, they are best of hopping on a "borrowed" vehicle and get into the desert for it ASAP.

According to the official guide you have to be quick to get it. Preferably, pretty much as soon as you are done with the prologue and the lockdown ends.
Not sure of the breakpoint here though, but if it's something that a player must have, they are best of hopping on a "borrowed" vehicle and get into the desert for it ASAP.
But that is the thing, I can get it with a character with much more play time than the other, there must be some not time based trigger. Is there any official source on this other than that "guide"? It just doesn't seem accurate according to discussion on some topics where it is straight up wrong or incomplete.

My little experience about this car :)
I always have it "easily".
It's not based on "time". Because I generally doing all the NCPD Scanner Hustle after the heist and before "Automatic Love" and "Ghost Town". So pretty early in the story line. But "ingame", it take time to finish Watson/Japan Town/Pacifica and Badlands. So easily, more than 30/40 hours of play.

But as soon as come across the area (generally the Assault in progress near it), I stop far enough, I wait the morning (8 AM), then approch the area and the little sound and the icon directly appear. It always work and it's generally my first vehicle after the Arch.

Well, If I ever make another playthrough or coach someone into one I'll keep it in mind to just rush the place as soon as the world opens. Thank you for your answers.

Still, I think CDPR should have a look into it and make it not despawn as the other cars that stay there for a long time. I don't know if I have enough info for a bug report, this may be more suited for a suggestion in general. For now I just "consoled" my way into the car.

I got mine just now after i got the other free car in badlands. After "helping" Panam save Saul. It shows up on the map for me without ever beeing close too it.

I just got it, after my meeting with Takemura at Tom's Diner. After that, I completed the quest Heroes, in order to have a vehicule. After that, I went to the Desert Film Set and started the little quest.

I also would like to thank the community, because it's the first time I own this car. (y)

Last edited:
Yep now, you can't miss it, there is a quest marker on the map :)
(before, nothing at all... Just the icon who appear when you were close enough)

Top Bottom