Collecting all the positive aspects of the game

+
I have noticed that there are a lot of threads dedicated to discussing single aspects of the game (cars, cyberware, skills, story, night city ect.). I also noticed a sharp divide between those who genuinely enjoyed the game and those who did not. Those who did enjoy the game sometimes belittle those who criticize the game for its flaws and those who didn't enjoy the game sometimes belittle those who do enjoy it despite its flaws (i noticed this on myself as well.... and i feel terrible because of it)!

This is not what gaming is about in my opinion! Gaming is about having fun and sharing that enjoyment and while the game was a monumental disappointment for myself it does in not mean that there is nothing to like about this game. I would like to have a thread where everyone can look for a positive common ground regarding the game.

There is obviously al lot of untapped potential in this game but that potential had to have been created through hard work and creativity and it shows! I would really like it if we could discuss those aspects the game without the divide and instead find common ground... please no arguing or worse attempting to refute the aspects one finds enjoyable about the game (that is what leads to divide and we have enough of that)!

What i like most about the game is the potential it has to grow... there is literally no limit to the amount of deep story's that can be told in this setting! There are so many philosophical and ethical questions that could be tackled (and in some ways already have been). This game could get dozens if not hundreds of payed story DLC without getting stale at all! And i would love to one day play the game Cyberpunk 2077 could be! If CDPR would have made the game shown in 2018 i for one would have bought every story DLC they would have made for the game no matter how many on how far into the future even at full price! But that is just me... there are those who like other aspects of the game and i would love to know them all!

Last edited:
- Level design is mostly passable. Many possible entrances and routes to enter and go around.
- The side missions are generally passable and interesting.
- The sounds are good.
- The graphics and aesthetic design are good.
- The idea of layered armor design is good.
- The gun skills at least try (even if not succeed) at portraying character growth.
- The idea of "learn through practice" skilldesign is good.
- The gigs are mostly fun to do, if a tad repetitive due to how the gameplay is designed.

That's about it from on the top of my hat.

I agree with you - as a foundation for future growth and expansion, Cyberpunk and Night City are the perfect setting. Every building, locked door and empty space is an opportunity for more.
In my mind the real star of this game is Night City itself - it is so detailed, dense and so spot on with the lore, it's a great creative achievement, that can only get better.
If CDPR sticks with development and improvements 'Night City' will become legendary in the gaming industry.

Well I liked some of the story, most of the characters were well written.

Parts of the combat that worked was nice, obviously the graphics are fantastic and night city does look great in terms of the layout of the buildings.

The soundtrack and licensed music was really cool, I was personally happy to hear On The Corner by Miles Davis and to have a whole station dedicated to extreme metal was pretty cool.
General art design was good.

The voice actors did a great job as well. I don't think the male V's voice actor fit very well for how I imagined V to be as a personality going in, but that is more due to my expectations of V being a blank slate character, so with that in mind I do think V's voice actor was also good.

In the end, the ONLY positive aspect of the game as released, is that you're FINALLY finished with the Johnny Silverhand Saga.

And if CDPR leaves him (and his whole story) dead and buried going forward, then the game "could" actually get onto the path of becoming the game most people thought they were buying. Even though I was hugely disappointed with the linear manner of the storyline, as others have pointed out, I DID find aspects of the game that were fun, even though they weren't deeply engaging.

The visual design is definitely unrivaled in my opinion. Never have I seen a game which has so many unique looking hand crafted locals.
In most places you could just turn on the photo mode and make a screenshot worthy of being a screensaver or wallpaper.

Facial design, lip sync, voice acting and the general detail of faces especially on characters like Takimura the amount of detail is astonishing. You can literally see the texture of skin that looks next to real in my eyes.

The music is great I love the variety.

The cars feel and sound satisfying though since I play with mouse and keyboard I feel it could be a bit better. Cars are a little over-drifty while actual drifting is not something I find is easy to do.

Gunplay feels satisfying in terms of feel sound and visuals.

My 2 cents

In the end, the ONLY positive aspect of the game as released, is that you're FINALLY finished with the Johnny Silverhand Saga.

And if CDPR leaves him (and his whole story) dead and buried going forward, then the game "could" actually get onto the path of becoming the game most people thought they were buying. Even though I was hugely disappointed with the linear manner of the storyline, as others have pointed out, I DID find aspects of the game that were fun, even though they weren't deeply engaging.

Well then... would you be so kind and tell us what aspects of the game you find positive (as this is the whole point of this thread). I a agree with you to some extend but still... please help us to focus on the positives!

The world building scale is massive. In most games you notice that the streets and buildings are a bit scaled down but most things built in this world feel big and weighty. Driving across a bridge actually feels like crossing a real world bridge unlike in something like Watch Dogs where the Golden Gate bridge or Tower Bridge are noticeably small.

Great story
Great side stories
Great characters
Great designs
Great visuals
Great atmosphere
Great soundtrack
Almost non existent bugs. WAIT? WHAT DA FUCK YOU JUST SAID??? Yes. With all the bugs and glitches, with all the YT compilations, the game has far fewer bugs than a regular AAA title. People conviniently forgot about nightmarish bugs in Rockstar games, forgot about a mockery of a game recent Fallout was at the release (and I'm talking about F4, not F76) The game has fewer bugs than Skyrim today, for christsakes (and no, it doesn't mean Skyrim has a lot of bugs, but after 9 years, it still has more of them than CP. Not that I counted, just played SE for 3 hs)

Having said that, game still has bugs and glitches (which I mostly haven't experienced, but seen them in action on my friend's XB1), it still lacks some 50% of the promised features, not counting those that were said tho had been removed.

The game does give you the "feeling" of being in a futuristic metropolis. The facade is very easily broken though if you pay attention to the details. But as long as you don't dig beneath the thin veneer it does invoke the feelings that it intended to.

From first 4 hours...

+Visuals, animations, aesthetic, attention to detail (at times) - the biggest highlight;
+Writing as far as I can tell;
+Voice acting if we don't count V always sounding like a street kid;
+Gunplay felt good.

Great story
Great side stories
Great characters
Great designs
Great visuals
Great atmosphere
Great soundtrack
Almost non existent bugs. WAIT? WHAT DA FUCK YOU JUST SAID??? Yes. With all the bugs and glitches, with all the YT compilations, the game has far fewer bugs than a regular AAA title. People conviniently forgot about nightmarish bugs in Rockstar games, forgot about a mockery of a game recent Fallout was at the release (and I'm talking about F4, not F76) The game has fewer bugs than Skyrim today, for christsakes (and no, it doesn't mean Skyrim has a lot of bugs, but after 9 years, it still has more of them than CP. Not that I counted, just played SE for 3 hs)

Having said that, game still has bugs and glitches (which I mostly haven't experienced, but seen them in action on my friend's XB1), it still lacks some 50% of the promised features, not counting those that were said tho had been removed.

I'd say the amount of bugs one experiences is completely dependent on the system/configurations the game is running on... while some have very little bugs (i for one only had a few but one of them actually game breaking) but for some the game is literally unplayable (as in they can not get it to run at all) even though they are within the recommended specs... yet i do agree they nailed most of the visuals!

I agree with the above post that Night City feels like an actual city with regards to size, different neighborhoods, suburbs etc. Since I tend to be an explorer in open world RPGs, driving or walking around was fun.

The amount of quests was good and takes probably 100+ hours to do them all. They can be repetitive at times.
I really think if there are some strong patches and expansions/DLCs this game could be great.
Overall, I like the game a lot, but I totally get why many don't.

Well then... would you be so kind and tell us what aspects of the game you find positive (as this is the whole point of this thread). I a agree with you to some extend but still... please help us to focus on the positives!

Sure.

I found some of the mechanics of the game to be pretty solid. Like close quarters sneaky gunplay. My last playthrough, I used the Dying Light gun you get from the vendor in your apartment building early in the game. I used this weapon exclusively, combining it with light usage of some netrunning skills, choosing the appropriate perks for gunplay. I upgraded the gun at relatively regular intervals, added a silencer for some things, and removed it for others, and building the gun up to legendary as I found the materials and acquired the necessary perks. Under these "self-inflicted" conditions, I found the gunplay combat to be much more engaging and thought provoking.

My first playthrough was a netrunner build on the hardest mode. And it was no challenge whatsoever. I laid waste to the whole Arasaka complex for the mission to hack the float by using Contagion 3 times. Then strolled right up and hacked the float. Speaking of this particular questline:

I felt it was one of the better, more fleshed out quest lines in the game. From start to finish, it was some of the most engaging content I experienced in the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just disappointing that I had to basically gimp myself by resisting the better weapons I found to see it during my most recent playthrough.

As others have pointed out, the game world is visually stunning. Albeit noticeably repetitive and clunky in many areas. I think if they tweak the crowd A.I. a bit, it would provide a reasonable level of distraction to make this much less noticeable.

I won't pretend to like the main story though. It sucked. And it left me feeling completely disconnected from everything I did enjoy. And that didn't change no matter how I played the game. But I'm hopeful they'll rectify that with future content. Because the game definitely deserves it.

Sure.

I found some of the mechanics of the game to be pretty solid. Like close quarters sneaky gunplay. My last playthrough, I used the Dying Light gun you get from the vendor in your apartment building early in the game. I used this weapon exclusively, combining it with light usage of some netrunning skills, choosing the appropriate perks for gunplay. I upgraded the gun at relatively regular intervals, added a silencer for some things, and removed it for others, and building the gun up to legendary as I found the materials and acquired the necessary perks. Under these "self-inflicted" conditions, I found the gunplay combat to be much more engaging and thought provoking.

My first playthrough was a netrunner build on the hardest mode. And it was no challenge whatsoever. I laid waste to the whole Arasaka complex for the mission to hack the float by using Contagion 3 times. Then strolled right up and hacked the float. Speaking of this particular questline:

I felt it was one of the better, more fleshed out quest lines in the game. From start to finish, it was some of the most engaging content I experienced in the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just disappointing that I had to basically gimp myself by resisting the better weapons I found to see it during my most recent playthrough.

As others have pointed out, the game world is visually stunning. Albeit noticeably repetitive and clunky in many areas. I think if they tweak the crowd A.I. a bit, it would provide a reasonable level of distraction to make this much less noticeable.

I won't pretend to like the main story though. It sucked. And it left me feeling completely disconnected from everything I did enjoy. And that didn't change no matter how I played the game. But I'm hopeful they'll rectify that with future content. Because the game definitely deserves it.

Well then lets hope in an upcoming DLC they allow for V to go to Evelyn Parker after the heist instead of Dexter and therefore open the door to a completely different story to be told! It is possible and "easy" to implement!

Well then lets hope in an upcoming DLC they allow for V to go to Evelyn Parker after the heist instead of Dexter and therefore open the door to a completely different story to be told! It is possible and "easy" to implement!

I think the best way would be for DLC content to just start the player at the "point of no return", then path the player into getting rid of Johnny once and for all.

It would resolve the base game exactly the same for everyone, regardless of what base game ending they selected, and allow for a lot more focus on the player's story going forward.

Top Bottom