Combat Animations: W3 vs W2

+
Combat Animations: W3 vs W2

I was fighting at the arena in Witcher 2 (still love it) and i wanted to discuss about the combat animations

Do you guys feel that there are few combat animations in Witcher 3 compared to witcher 2?
Mhm i'm not sure but In Witcher 2, Geralt literally danced when he fought ( more animations and looked cooler), whereas in Witcher 3, it was the same few swings unless you activated the spin talent.

What do you think?

Hmmm, I think they have around the same amount. It's just TW2 has longer animations that are more fancy, they went for more practical fighting moves in TW3 (which I think they should've balanced it since backflips in TW1 were the shit). It makes sense though and there's only minor differences in angles and speed when it comes to TW3.

Yeah those backflips, fancy moves and pirouettes and the pace and speed of Geralt in W2, really made it feel like a witcher's unique fighting style.
A shame they didn't include these aspects of combat in W3.

I agree, this is very much the reason why I don't really care that much for the sword combat in the Witcher 3, his moves feel sluggish and his swings appear way too repetitive. It should look more like a dance, which it did in TW2.

The combo attacks and different styles in TW1 are the best. :D

As for TW2 vs TW3, I don't feel that TW3's combat animations are too repetitive, at least when using both strong and fast attacks. TW2 has some really cool animations, true, but some of them are a bit long. All in all I don't think either game is superior in this regard. :)

The combo attacks and different styles in TW1 are the best. :D

110% THIS!
I have said it so many times, the other two games cannot touch TW1 in this regard. The sheer variety puts TW2/3 to shame. Sure, there are kinks with TW1 but, if you look at where CDPR where at, as a game development studio, TW1 is an epic achievement.

the animations are differnet, both games have good combat in their own way, i think the movement in tw2 was more fluid and in tw3 it's a bit more interrupted, in tw2 was easier to see the sorroundings and change the enemy, but in tw3 it takes more time to change enemies, tw3 has a better connection betweeen movements, rlling and hits, tw2's cmbat was faster, almost every fight was possible to win if you are fast enough
i don't know it there are more animations in tw2

Hmm.. tough to say really, I like both even though they are admittedly a bit different. I think we see more spins(?) in TW2. There is also some blur when doing combat in TW2 that we don't see in TW3. I started with TW3 so I'm not the best person to comment on TW1. TW3 also had both dodge and roll while I think TW2 only had roll (called dodge). Honestly, I've spent so much time doing combat in TW3 that it just feels really natural for me.. I'll get there with TW2, but it will be a while until I am as proficient at combat in TW2 as I am in TW3. One thing is certain though - the fact that there are multiple ways to do sword combat alone in these games make swordplay high and above much deeper than other games I have played. You can do lots of things with your swords (yes, had to bring that up cuz ofc) that make combat in TW series some of the deepest I have ever played from an RPG.

Guest 2081505

I enjoy the combat in any part of the trilogy. The combat systems are different, sure, but they have all strengths and weaknesses. In Witcher 3 I have tons of fun with the new possibilities of movement:

(Geralt lvl 1 - out of the box - vs. 4 Drowners, lvl 4; DL B&BB)

Regarding the actual number of combat animations, I believe that we already settled (In that other thread, some time past.) that TW3 has over 800 (For SWORDS alone. Not even counting the million miscellaneous weapons and other things that make that number go well in-to the quadruple digits.), a number that far surpasses the two previous games put together.

Now, quality is an entirely different debate. Personally, I thought that TW2's combat was boring and ridiculous. Unlike TW3, you had little control over what you did, and it was a bit of a button-spammer. I didn't like it, in the least. I can't comment on TW1, though, since I have yet to play it.

I just don't like him constantly spinning, which means even if there's more animations, it still looks repetitive. I want to tell him this isn't the circus Geralt!

Last edited:

Guest 2081505

Now, quality is an entirely different debate. Personally, I thought that TW2's combat was boring and ridiculous. Unlike TW3, you had little control over what you did, and it was a bit of a button-spammer. I didn't like it, in the least.

I have problems to understand what you mean, because I had in any moment the full control concerning Geralt's actions in TW2. Here's one example in the early game:

(DL: hard)

and this one at the eleventh hour:

(DL: dark mode)

Do you have perhaps an own video of a fight in TW2?

Same question to Garrison: Do you have a video showing an excellent Witcher fight?

I have problems to understand what you mean, because I had in any moment the full control concerning Geralt's actions in TW2. Here's one example in the early game:

(DL: hard)

and this one at the eleventh hour:

(DL: dark mode)

Do you have perhaps an own video of a fight in TW2?

Same question to Garrison: Do you have a video showing an excellent Witcher fight?

I don't know how to up-load videos, if that's what you're asking.

In TW2, you had "roll" and "attack". The combat wasn't dynamic, and felt stilted and boring. TW3 felt significantly more akin to a proper medieval combat simulation. Not even remotely there, but getting there. In TW3, there's significantly more diversity in combat, and there is more left up to the player. I feel like I'm taking part in the fight, rather than observing it.

Guest 2081505

I don't know how to up-load videos, if that's what you're asking.

Haha, not really. The two videos in your quote are my own videos; seems that I myself know it.

In TW2, you had "roll" and "attack". The combat wasn't dynamic, and felt stilted and boring..

No, here is the reason for my question. In the two videos above Geralt demonstrates in my eyes a very dynamic fighting style, and I wouldn't call the combat "stilted" and "boring". Geralt seems to be the master of the situation in any moment, perfectly making use of his Witcher abilities. This isn't your way to looking at things, and so I ask you: Would you mind to have a look at one of the videos and tell me if your verdict "The combat wasn't dynamic, and felt stilted and boring" is applicable here. I would be very interested.

Unlike TW3, you had little control over what you did, and it was a bit of a button-spammer. I didn't like it, in the least.

That is actually how TW3 is for me at times, a button spammer (especially when fighting humans). If an enemy blocked in TW2 and you swang your sword your attack would stop and you would have to reposition quickly or get punished for not doing so. If a bandit blocks my strike in TW3 I can just keep mashing the attack button until he stops blocking until I eventually win, the exception being if the enemy has a shield.

Last edited:

Guest 2081505

... the exception being if the enemy has a shield.

Shieldbearers, Mezziaz, require a special treatment - if you don't use the usual tactic (hit their backside after dodging/rolling). Here riposte or brute force (hit them with hard strokes until they loose their shields, then they are fish food) are very successful.

Here's an example (Geralt lvl 2 vs shieldbearer lvl 4; DL B&BB):

If you are interested to learn the riposte-technique:

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 2081505

So even they can be button mashed... how great.

No no, don't misunderstand me. Button mashing: That's a thing for the weakest of the weak players, the so called L-click maniacs. Those players who believe that an L-click staccato is identical with computer gaming (L-click, L-click, Lclick, L-click, L-click, Lclick ... L-click, L-click, Lclick game over fufufufu). If you try to riposte this way, hahahaha, no no no that's too stupid.Really stupid.

So if you don't like button mashing: The combat system is complex enough, it allows you to avoid it at all. You have to learn something, ok, but it's rewarding. Then sayings like this one

That is actually how TW3 is for me at times, a button spammer (especially when fighting humans).the exception being if the enemy has a shield.

are things of the past.

Top Bottom