Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
No, but didnt do a bench. In the eye nope.
Jesus, im happy, really.
Remember i play just half an hour, but that fight was imposible to pass (crashes all the time) i cant assure you but im 90% that those drivers fix de problem.

Last edited:
well after a 2-4 hour run (kinda lost track) with the leaked/fake 15.5 drivers that worked yesterday for the same amount of time i got a crash while battling a drowner i got a crash but this time unlike the others it didn't crash to desktop and disappeared instead the screen froze for a second then went white, so i opened task manager and saw the witcher 3 isn't responding but then I also got the display driver stopped working. hope this helps understanding whats going on but just for more help i managed to get a screen print of it...

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 33
Somebody modded the Windows 10 driver to work on other versions (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399306).
People are claiming these drivers lower DX11 performance so I don't know how much better they'll be. Going to test them soon.

Well seems like we are on better roads now. With these driver i could play game for 2 hours straight. No freeze and crash bug. Only thing is I did notice perfomance drop both in witcher and in some other games (Diablo 3 for example). Maybe this is worth the trouble, but i need some more detailed testing to see how much Frame rate is affected.

Also i just got prompt from my Gaming evolved app that 14.12 drivers are available for download? Anyone knows anything about that?

Bugger it, gonna give the windows 10 drivers a try. Anything has to be an improvement on last night to be honest, although I am so disappointed that this thread stil hasn't had any recognition from the Devs.

A very, very poor show from Project Red.

No, but didnt do a bench. In the eye nope.
Jesus, im happy, really.
Remember i play just half an hour, but that fight was imposible to pass (crashes all the time) i cant assure you but im 90% that those drivers fix de problem.
im test now this driver , better but have crach too.(
less than before)

Its a shame with how much hype this game has had and along with the deals bundled with GPU's that we dont have stable drivers or a stable release. It's a damn shame.

The Win10 moded drivers work for me too (I'm on win7 - r9 285).

By working I mean not a single crash in 6 hours. In thoses 6 hours I did a lot of fighting quest including long boss fight and big packs of monsters.
The only issue for me is that I lost 20 FPS; I was 55-60 with 15.4 beta and i'm now 35-40. It's not ideal but I can live with that.

By working I mean not a single crash in 6 hours. In thoses 6 hours I did a lot of fighting quest including long boss fight and big packs of monsters.
The only issue for me is that I lost 20 FPS; I was 55-60 with 15.4 beta and i'm now 35-40. It's not ideal but I can live with that.

I....I wont do it. There is no way in hell that we should have to use unstable drivers that will cripple our FPS this much. This is most likely a bigger issue than the numerous " quest wont give exp" or "this mission is bugged".....we cant play the damn game.

All I want...is for CD Red or AMD....to say something....anything....anything at all. If this were a Ubisoft game people would rip into it for being an unoptimized mess (albeit unfairly), I dont think its fair that we are left in the dark this long without an official PR statement or something. The game it great, I just wish I can play it without having to pay 200+ for a new GPU (which I barely have so I really dont want to do it at all).

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play, if its not an easy problem to solve fine we're not going to attack you for this....just say something about it so we know that you know its a damn problem.

I....I wont do it. There is no way in hell that we should have to use unstable drivers that will cripple our FPS this much. This is most likely a bigger issue than the numerous " quest wont give exp" or "this mission is bugged".....we cant play the damn game.

All I want...is for CD Red or AMD....to say something....anything....anything at all. If this were a Ubisoft game people would rip into it for being an unoptimized mess (albeit unfairly), I dont think its fair that we are left in the dark this long without an official PR statement or something. The game it great, I just wish I can play it without having to pay 200+ for a new GPU (which I barely have so I really dont want to do it at all).

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play, if its not an easy problem to solve fine we're not going to attack you for this....just say something about it so we know that you know its a damn problem.

i am speaking to a support guy on AMD's side witch said he will try to get me an ETA for 15.5, i fairly sure that both CDPR and AMD are aware of this issue and are just finishing to optimize the driver for it to be released next week probably

i am speaking to a support guy on AMD's side witch said he will try to get me an ETA for 15.5, i fairly sure that both CDPR and AMD are aware of this issue and are just finishing to optimize the driver for it to be released next week probably

Honestly, I think the FPS thing just irked me a little bit. Im still hopeful that something will get done. I think that this is just a really silly problem to begin with and the hoop jumping should not be necessary.

So far so good with these driver, no crashes but minor but noticable performance loss and stuttering here and there. Going to update the OP soonish.

20 fps shit thats a lot, the game looks awful with 30 fps, are you sure? I dont have that issue with those drivers. Indeed i am running the game with more postprosesing, but yes, we need official drivers, this is a workaround

I completely agree with you, a simple tweet is not enough acknowledgement for such a huge issue on CDPR's end. But maybe the problem lies on AMD's drivers as these ones fixed the problem. AMD has done a piss poor job delivering proper drivers for a while now. Hopefully they provide us with an offical fix when, if ever, 15.5 drivers are released.

I'm sure yes (I use MSI afterburner to show my FPS). I didn't change my Graphic Configuration and I lost around 20 FPS.

I would like 60 FPS that's for sure (And maybe I can if I lower things here and there). But i can play at 40 ... and damn I want to play. 40 is fine for me for this type of game. Am I happy to do that ? Hell no. But I "must".

Let's be honest, AMD cards are just poorly optimized for TW3 at this moment. Hopefully 15.5 can fix Radeon cards for TW3. With the whole AMD/Nvidia blame game that is going on because of GameWorks, we really don't know what the hell is going on. I am not sure who I should blame for this issue, AMD or CDPR. It's clear that AMD was not in the loop in the development of the Witcher 3. Nvidia was a major sponsor for the development of this game, and CDPR choose Nvidia (like they did with the other two games). I don't understand why CDPR didn't work with AMD to add their TressFX technology into the game. I think its quite clear that CDPR wants the endorsement from Nvidia. Rockstar was a perfect example that incorporated the techs from both companies. It is also a fact that TressFX is much better then HairWorks, as it works good with both products. At the same time, it is also clear that AMD is facing some issues at this moment as a company, and they are not even trying to invest in developers as they are focusing on DX12, ZEN, HBM, HSA. etc. It has been over 160 days since AMD has released a new driver for their Radeon products. I think this horrible support from AMD.

And even with the Nvidia partnership, look at all the problems reported on Nvidia cards, specially the garbage performance on Kepler.

Top Bottom