Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
Spiralfusion I think I'm in love. So far I have been able to crash the game 100% of the time by opening up my inventory, heading to either beastiary or tutorial and just scrolling around for a bit. After disabling Action Messages I did the same thing and for the first time I wasn't able to crash while messing around in the inventory for quite some time. I'm going to start a much longer-term test/play session and will post again with further results, but so far this change is very promising.

I have a 290x (Asus DirectCU II OC r9290-dc2oc-4gd5) and other beefy stuff:

i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
32GB RAM
Win 8.1 64-bit

This is happening to me as well and I'm using an AMD Radeon R7 265. I'm playing at 1366x768 but the game runs pretty nice (reaching 60 FPS) with a mix of med and ultra settings. I can't play at all because it crashes in the middle of a fight and it's getting frustrating. The game is properly updated, I just installed the latest AMD beta drivers, I noticed the CPU usage lowered but the game is still crashing, and it's only crashing with the witcher 3. My PC stops responding and then it restarts.

AMD A8-6600K @ 3.9GHz
AMD Radeon R7 265 @ 955MHz/1400MHz
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 x64
Both of.you realise that this thread is for a issue with the R9285 GPU and that you're completely off topic right?

Both of.you realise that this thread is for a issue with the R9285 GPU and that you're completely off topic right?
Yeah I do realize it, just wanted to state I'm having the same issue using another AMD videocard and I do hope this situation gets addressed for all of us.

Dump files are no joke, they can easily point to the wrong problem and windows reporting is horrible, you have to run tests against the dump lots of times just to see what's going on. The driver could be crashing but the problem could be another file sending a invalid request or string which in turns makes the driver freak out and crash.

Exactly,, thats why i did not mentioned those 2 files i got trough multiple dump file readings.. Actually my brother told me the same, in his opinion its not hardware issue at all but some code problem in the game.

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using asus R9285 strix... After dozens of crashes in the same part of the combat, somehow I was able to pass that part in the end. I have no idea how. Has this happened to anyone else? I have these problems only in combat mode. I did not install the latest catalyst drivers.

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using asus R9285 strix... After dozens of crashes in the same part of the combat, somehow I was able to pass that part in the end. I have no idea how. Has this happened to anyone else? I have these problems only in combat mode. I did not install the latest catalyst drivers.

basically you passed it out of pure luck that it didnt go boom :p its the most frustrating part of this problem in that while it pops up more often in certain fights you can occasionally 'luck out'.

---------- Updated at 12:12 PM ----------

Yeah I do realize it, just wanted to state I'm having the same issue using another AMD videocard and I do hope this situation gets addressed for all of us.

weird you are probably first non 285 user to post having the same problem (the otherguy though is having a problem that isnt related to THIS specific bug). well 'welcome' to the family! the wth does my game randomly crash in combat family!

Maybe it's a conspiracy of Nvidia and CD Projekt RED.. What do u think about it? : )
Marketing campaign of R9 285 says that it's faster than GTX760, just check it on the official AMD site. I think that Nvidia was angry on such marketing and pay to CD Projekt RED and Now the game crashes exactly on Tonga GPU.
I have no other explanation. That's make me cry sometimes.

Finally got it working, disabled action log, that didn't make a difference was stuck at
Family Matters, Bothcling fight
After Installing windows 10 drivers, left action log disabled as well, was able to finish the fight first time.

Didn't notice any major performance reduction and game is surely playable.

Just to report. Did extensive testing for those w10 modded 15.5 drivers. I didnt have any freeze and crashes. Performance is around 10 to 15frames lower then 14.4 drivers i was using before. In some cases it goes even below 20frames. I guess those drivers arent as optimised as much but alt least i could play the game. Performance drop was noted in other games aswell.

This is happening to me as well and I'm using an AMD Radeon R7 265. I'm playing at 1366x768 but the game runs pretty nice (reaching 60 FPS) with a mix of med and ultra settings. I can't play at all because it crashes in the middle of a fight and it's getting frustrating. The game is properly updated, I just installed the latest AMD beta drivers, I noticed the CPU usage lowered but the game is still crashing, and it's only crashing with the witcher 3. My PC stops responding and then it restarts.

AMD A8-6600K @ 3.9GHz
AMD Radeon R7 265 @ 955MHz/1400MHz
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 x64

Interesting. It sounds a little different since your PC restarts. But it's definitely worth reporting that another card is having a similar issue. I'd suggest submitting a report if you haven't already http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25BB0A314 as it looks like we're getting some more attention from AMD.

OK, with 15.5 and Action Messages disabled I have had no crashes in about 8 hours, just fought a level 20 Chort that took bloody ages (i'm only level 14) and it was stable as anything. I have noticed little skipped frames during combat where it would have crashed before, but the game continues on with no issue.

Uninstall EVERYTHING using the Catalyst Removal Manager in Add/Remove programs, reboot when prompted then install the 15.5s, turn off action messages and give it a try.

Hope this helps!

I won't be able to do any testing until monday so I need you brave folk to test out (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399410). These ones show better DX11 performance so if they fix the combat crashing, they should be the better alternative.

You more than likely need to follow the same steps as with the Win10 drivers to install these ones.
I think thats IT. I've been playing with this driver about 4 hours with intensive fighting without crashes and fps drop. So its definitely worth the shot until official amd solution.

Yeah, Windows 10 driver after Disabling Driver Signature works great! Newest beta driver from AMD still crashes game ...

So just to clear it out. The difference between 15.20-150514 and 15.20.150505a is only in performance (the latter one does not have frame drops). Both of these drivers dont crash the game?

Yea I don't get it, I loaned one just to see if I can get it to crash like you guys are having and I can't. I'm using the latest beta drivers on a fresh install of windows 8.1 and the game is working GREAT! lol So I have a feeling even though the Windows 10 driver fixes it, it has something to do with your system or hardware. Not saying your fault, just saying what I think it causing it with their game.

Just crashed during combat as Ciri doing her special attack. May have just been a totally unconnected crash, but it was my first one in over 10 hours of gameplay on the new Beta drivers and Action Notifications off. Will keep this thread updated - if it's one crash every ten hours, well, I can handle that!

---------- Updated at 08:14 PM ----------

OK, confirmed, Ciri's special attack causes the game to crash just about 20% of the time. Game has now crashed 5 times in 5 minutes, each time when attacking using her ability. Bugger.

Just crashed during combat as Ciri doing her special attack. May have just been a totally unconnected crash, but it was my first one in over 10 hours of gameplay on the new Beta drivers and Action Notifications off. Will keep this thread updated - if it's one crash every ten hours, well, I can handle that!

---------- Updated at 08:14 PM ----------

OK, confirmed, Ciri's special attack causes the game to crash just about 20% of the time. Game has now crashed 5 times in 5 minutes, each time when attacking using her ability. Bugger.

I'll test that out with my loaned card and see if I can get it to crash.

It has something to do with your system or hardware. Not saying your fault, just saying what I think it causing it with their game.
Yes, it has something to do with our hardware, the card. It's already been proven so I have no idea what you are trying to say with this comment.

So just to clear it out. The difference between 15.20-150514 and 15.20.150505a is only in performance (the latter one does not have frame drops). Both of these drivers dont crash the game?
Welp i didnt test the first one but latest works without frame drops yes.

Top Bottom