Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
Used the win 10 drivers. No noticeable loss in performance, and not one crash in an hour. Even through the annoying Ciri fights.

RMA'd the R9 285 and got lucky XFX is sending me an R9 290, no prob. I advise you guys RMA your hardware

uh no. if they find no problem with the hardware, they may bill you to ship your old card back to you plus labor, or charge you for the new card ;\

I installed this drivers from link (Is it this on first page, right?) and no crashes, but sometimes game goes to like 5FPS and i have to restart it.

I installed this drivers from link (Is it this on first page, right?) and no crashes, but sometimes game goes to like 5FPS and i have to restart it.

I have AMD R7 200 Series and you not the only, many others have problems, I had to go back with the OMEGA drivers because it is playable, but the drivers 15.5 NOW is unplayable, when I start stuttering infinite with 20 FPS to 1 FPS, combat freeze with strange noise, advice is to return the previous drivers and wait for the end BETA, someone knows if AMD has given a date?

Last edited:
I have AMD R7 200 Series and you not the only, many others have problems, I had to go back with the OMEGA drivers because it is playable, but the drivers 15.5 NOW is unplayable, when I start stuttering infinite with 20 FPS to 1 FPS, combat freeze with strange noise, advice is to return the previous drivers and wait for the end BETA, someone knows if AMD has given a date?

That sounds about right for a 260....

I played for 6 hours now with these (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399410) and a lot of combat, not a single crash ! of course it well be nice to have actual AMD drivers , but if you cant wait ( and we waited quite a lot ) - go with those , i didn't notice any drop in performance .

these drivers seemed to have saved the game for me, I can even use Ciri's special attack without it crashing. A slight drop in performance, I notice a wee bit of judder here and there but well worth the sacrifice to get the game running stable.

Well I am back with my R285, bought a GTX970 but the card only lasted 2 days then during a cutscene the card showed strange artifacts all over the screen and locked up^^ - after reboot this happens in BIOS or on desktop, so from my experience the memory is broken (actually had the same with another nvidia card years ago). So now the R285 is in again and works like charm with the modded Win10 Drivers (I am using Win7). Okay, after 3 or 4 hours the game crashed once to desktop with a white screen but during a cutscene, but no more fighting crashes. Performance is quite good to, playing in Full HD high with around 40 FPS.

Last edited:
Just thought I would add to the voices here, I have this card and the exact same issue. It's incredibly annoying.

Also I don't have windows 10 so I guess I'll just wait for the official patch :(

Just thought I would add to the voices here, I have this card and the exact same issue. It's incredibly annoying.

Also I don't have windows 10 so I guess I'll just wait for the official patch :(

You don't need windows 10 with those drivers, they work on 7 and 8, they installed great on my Win 7 64 Bit machine. Just read the instructions on how to install them ;)

Also I don't have windows 10 so I guess I'll just wait for the official patch

EDIT: This .dll pack has fixed the 285 combat crashing. http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/104/?

Ignore the text below, it is no longer required for the fix, leaving it for posterity.

You don't need Windows 10. The drivers here are modified to work with window 7 & 8. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399410 They are not official, so it is obviously "use at your own risk" but they seem to work for everyone who have tried them and left feedback so far. I'm on Windows 7-64 and they work for me.

Again, this is "at your own risk" but there is nothing to suggest any negative effects. But obviously don't do it if you're uncomfortable with any of the steps.
Download the Display Driver Uninstall Utility http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505. (don't run it yet)
Download the modded drivers: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399410 (don't install them yet)
Reboot your computer in Safe Mode
(Windows 8 - Disable Driver Signing Check)
Run Display Driver Uninstall and clean the drivers, reboot.
(Windows 7 - Spam F8 on reboot, on boot options, choose to boot with Disabled Driver Signature Enforcement)
Install the modded drivers.
Reboot.

You should be good to go.

I did this on Windows 7, if the Windows 8 progression I included is any different, please correct me!

Last edited:

Yeah, i waiting AMD finish the beta, but AMD say something for date finish beta?

Same card. same problem.

To everyone hoping the new AMD drivers or patch 1.05 will fix it, I wouldn't get my hopes up. The 285 seems to be an obscure card, and no one ever really mentions this card when talking about benchmarks or anything. It's one of those cards that has problems that doesn't get looked at, because it's just one card that falls out of line. The TellTale Game of Thrones games has a specific problem with 285's, too, and it still persists. I haven't been able to properly play it since it came out last year.

Sorry, but I think we all just bought a bad card that was more of an experiment than a real card from AMD.

I like AMD, but sadfully, I think I will be getting an nVidia card the next time I buy a new card in the future. Hopefully not too many more games get shafted by being ran on a 285 until then.

Same card. same problem.

To everyone hoping the new AMD drivers or patch 1.05 will fix it, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

It does seem fixed in the drivers. I've been running the new Windows 10 / r9 300 modified drivers for Windows 7 since Saturday night and have not crashed once since switching to them, others in this thread report the same. I just hope AMD can get whatever the fix is into the Win 7/8 Betas soon.

Updated the OP.

Guys, it is normal that it takes so long to release the official 15.5 drivers? That is, it took a couple of days and NVIDIA has released new drivers officially (not beta) of The Witcher 3, when AMD will do the same? It's been 3-4 days but are still in beta, it is good that AMD is working to improve them but I hope that does not spend weeks to get them out.

Top Bottom