Combat in the game - general discussion

+
It may sound bizarre, but i like to experiment,so, i try to use every weapon i found.And yes, torch are very effective against certain enemy's in early stage's of the game.In fact i like to change weapons fromtime to time (like Harvall to Illegal sword then to Gwalhir and so on).Dragon's Dream +Igni try it out,lot's of ;D

I used the big hammer a few times, it's effective in knocking enemies down, that's about it. On my wish list for a possible Witcher2 would be being able to use other types of weapons with witcher styles . . . . .

Although i would like to have a huge axe wielding, fighting style, but that probably wouldn't be very "witcherous" :). Then again, i still think they could add some throwing knives and the like in the next game

Used that huge axe you find in the crypt by the lakeside. Was effective but after a while it got boring because you just click and click...and Geralt seems to have a hard time with it, he barely lifts it!

Okay. These two topics are related in sequence, so it goes in the same post.Morale is a key part of battle. Not "fear" necessarily, but, the decision to break and run when you're definitely losing a fight. That is done as a survival instinct, to run, heal, and return. Thusly: watching your witcher enemy charge you, melee, and get whacked down to 25% in two rounds... Time to retreat, right?No? Why not? Do you think you can overcome 75% injury to a witcher who has had no damge? Do you think as a monster you'll suddenly become amazingly lucky this last round? Are you a foolhardy enough monster that you fight to the death? Undead zombies, surely...Wolves, for example, should NEVER fight to the death. Neither should intelligent undead! They died once and likely remember it: why would they want to find the final end of all there is? Couldn't they break off and get help? Run to reinforcements?Pack wolves won't fight to the death. They fight savagely in packs, or they run off until they find their pack. In America, wolves in 15 years almost completely restored their wildlife numbers from the original before they were hunted to near extinction! They are hardy and wily, not zombies who attack until they must stop moving.On this note, why is killing the enemy the only way to gain experience in combat? If they run from you after taking a mighty beating, and do not come back to the area in fear you will be there, that's worth experience as a victory in my book! Unless your challenge is to "KILL THE BEASTIE", driving it out of the area should be worth as much, and the chase is worth the challenge. Also, during the chase, a wily monster can lure Geralt into a big fight he was winning easily and probably lose against superior numbers.Hostile-creature AI is always difficult, but, with some consideration and time it will be a facet of realistic combat. Chasing wyverns or basilisks off the Lady of the Lake's island, should count as well as killing them (but you don't get the items from the bodies in this way). Another note to developers: please don't have "each egg" on wyverns, since eggs aren't carried in their mouths or bellies or strapped to their backs, eggs are found in nests!One caveat comes to mind: a parent will ALWAYS defend their young to the death, esp. in lairs. But, I saw no wolf-pups anywhere, no baby wyverns, but I did see wyvern eggs. No sane person enters a beast lair and hopes that beast will surrender...But, intelligent combat in a DMZ includes morale/retreating, and that retreat should count for victory, imo.Thanks for your time!

Although your arguments are valid, you need to remember that this is a video game, and just implementing half of what you suggest would have meant a huge delay in the game release, as well as leaving a rather large chunk of useless resource space on our computers. I mean, come on, we all know that Geralt would have to pee after imbibing all those potions, but do we really need to include that, too? Realism in a game such as The Witcher is a rather ludicrous ingredient. Would it really make that much difference to you?Given the limited funding that most game developers have to begin with, I do not expect them to create a game in the fashion you describe given the fact that this is a fantasy world to begin with. However, if you want to do all of that yourself, then the upcoming Djinni Tool will be right up your alley. Personally, specifics like those won't affect my game play.~ Roxy

PaulV said:
Okay. These two topics are related in sequence, so it goes in the same post.Morale is a key part of battle. Not "fear" necessarily, but, the decision to break and run when you're definitely losing a fight. That is done as a survival instinct, to run, heal, and return. Thusly: watching your witcher enemy charge you, melee, and get whacked down to 25% in two rounds... Time to retreat, right?No? Why not? Do you think you can overcome 75% injury to a witcher who has had no damge? Do you think as a monster you'll suddenly become amazingly lucky this last round? Are you a foolhardy enough monster that you fight to the death? Undead zombies, surely...Wolves, for example, should NEVER fight to the death. Neither should intelligent undead! They died once and likely remember it: why would they want to find the final end of all there is? Couldn't they break off and get help? Run to reinforcements?Pack wolves won't fight to the death. They fight savagely in packs, or they run off until they find their pack. In America, wolves in 15 years almost completely restored their wildlife numbers from the original before they were hunted to near extinction! They are hardy and wily, not zombies who attack until they must stop moving.On this note, why is killing the enemy the only way to gain experience in combat? If they run from you after taking a mighty beating, and do not come back to the area in fear you will be there, that's worth experience as a victory in my book! Unless your challenge is to "KILL THE BEASTIE", driving it out of the area should be worth as much, and the chase is worth the challenge. Also, during the chase, a wily monster can lure Geralt into a big fight he was winning easily and probably lose against superior numbers.Hostile-creature AI is always difficult, but, with some consideration and time it will be a facet of realistic combat. Chasing wyverns or basilisks off the Lady of the Lake's island, should count as well as killing them (but you don't get the items from the bodies in this way). Another note to developers: please don't have "each egg" on wyverns, since eggs aren't carried in their mouths or bellies or strapped to their backs, eggs are found in nests!One caveat comes to mind: a parent will ALWAYS defend their young to the death, esp. in lairs. But, I saw no wolf-pups anywhere, no baby wyverns, but I did see wyvern eggs. No sane person enters a beast lair and hopes that beast will surrender...But, intelligent combat in a DMZ includes morale/retreating, and that retreat should count for victory, imo.Thanks for your time!
I once fought a Ghoul, and he almost got killed when he ran off and jumped into the ground, burying him self from where he jumped at me... So sometimes, they do run away.

That would be interesting if that was included in the Enhanced Edition, or perhaps in some sort of mod.

PaulV said:
Another note to developers: please don't have "each egg" on wyverns, since eggs aren't carried in their mouths or bellies or strapped to their backs, eggs are found in nests!
But where would the egg be before it was laid in the nest?

PaulV said:
Sterile discussion................it's only a videogame. If you want to save\kill animal do it in your life. Or you think going to the supermarket and buying meat means not killing animals?A videogame is chatartic and it's beautiful just because it's not real life. So you don't need to see geralt limbin a monster..........or you haven't enough imagination?

Good replies, so far. Not that I -agree- with them all, but, they are good to bring out points.
Sterile discussion................it's only a videogame. If you want to save\kill animal do it in your life. Or you think going to the supermarket and buying meat means not killing animals?A videogame is chatartic and it's beautiful just because it's not real life. So you don't need to see geralt limbin a monster..........or you haven't enough imagination?
Sure, I can imagine that my enemy is bleeding, was amputated, ran away... but the more suspension of disbelief I have to endure, I lose some immersion. "It's only a videogame" is the last thing I want to think when actually playing it and enjoying the story content.When I think to myself, "I'm glad they aren't running from me, so I can slice and dice them to my heart's content regardless of how easily I'm throwing them down in front of the next batch of them", I start to consider how far the AI has come in the past years of gaming. AI for foes has literally defined "next-gen" gaming, where damage upon models will be shown accordingly to the player the more damage a character takes... the enemies react believably (Crysis, Rainbow Six, Doom3, Half-Life 2, etc.) in many first-person shooters. But this is terribly hard to implement in a true RPG where you define the character's plotline to a great extent.Now, I am not saying the enemies in The Witcher had bad combat AI. They don't, and they werre very difficult in groups in many places... definitely something in each enemy's makeup made us remember them distinctly in combat and give each their own style. And, to be fair, many times Geralt -did- confront these foes in their native habitat, forcing a "fight to the death".I have to give the first reply the most credit now for a valid reason. Time is money, and yes that sort of time put into games is all the more delay in what was already a very entertaining game. I am in no way saying the game was unplayable or not fun. I like what I played and want more, even as the AI is. But with some of the difficulty modifiers out there making the different modes of difficulty harder or more challenging to play, I got to thinking what makes a battle "hard". More hitpoints? More armor? Deadlier attacks? More magic?Actually, no. Many famous battles have not been won by the more combatively superior side: rather, the craftier, wilier side which took advantage of terrain, weather and time to win. The high ground, in most situations, is a clear advantage. A distraction at the right moment to create an opening for a critical hit. (I believe most call this a feint).Come to think of it, Geralt is that sort of sneaky, craft hero that would absolutely use a feint to win: a tossed rock at a wall next to a fleder, to make it turn around so he can step out of a shadow to cut its head off. It's more subtle, and takes a terrible amount of scripting, but I'd love a "feint" option for certain situations.I'd like smarter enemies which lure Geralt to chase them into a bigger pack. Geralt isn't known for his ranged ability (except for signs, and they are limited too), and this is a serious disadvantage which foes can take advantage of.Do I want all this to delay an expansion or the game from hitting the shelves?No.Do I expect it to be in a game with an engine as dated as the Aurora engine, which doesn't even permit flying, jumping, climbing, or swimming without massive "trick coding" to make things appear as they look without using a non-existent "z" axis?No.I post this in hopes that a few times, we get to see some trickiness, some situations where the enemies (just as displayed in the first intro movie where Geralt inttimidates the Striga to flee with his superior sword skill), we get to watch some superior strategy as well as beautiful sword work.And, as a footnote, I apologize for any lack of imagination I might have implied. Although, I think it takes imagination in a different direction to ask for mickey-mouse as a foe to fight in the Witcher, as opposed to wanting to see some new tactics when possible. :p

I completly disagree.Those things are useless in my opinion if you don't have a great story or a great environmont which playing into. Think for eg to neverwinte nights or baldur's gate. They both have a less powerful engine and maybe and they're poor in details. But they have a great story and a strong background into which you can move.On the opposite, there a lot of very powerful games like crisis, Halo, Tomb Raider etc that are great in details and so on but they're only to play hide and seek with enemies.I need a game give me an input for my imagination i don't care of any single pettiness of realism.take care

RogueRoxy said:
Although your arguments are valid, you need to remember that this is a video game, and just implementing half of what you suggest would have meant a huge delay in the game release, as well as leaving a rather large chunk of useless resource space on our computers.
Actually, using the Aurora engine upon which The Witcher is based, doing this is quite easy. Just script the creature's faction to change to neutral or friendly upon hitting a certain hit-point percentage and award experience to the PC at the same time. Obviously, if the PC needs to get something from the dead body of the creature, they will still need to pursue - so the change should probably be to neutral in these cases. But, really, in NWN anyway, implementing these ideas would not take anything near the effort you're claiming.

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked (and answered). For some reason when I advance Geralt along in group style to say level 4 all he will attempt to do is some cast and I will invariably get a spell failed message while Geralt gestures dramatically but sort of uselessly in the air. Prior to advancement in that style Geralt hacked basically everything to death in group style. Anyway I can prevent this? Or is this the default once you reach Group Style IV and above? If so anyone have a clue how this should work?Thanks again in advance. Witcher is by far the best CRPG in about a decade or so.

The thing is, if you want to perform your normal attack streaks, you will only need to swiftly tap the mouse button. The special attack (level 4) is performed if you hold your mouse button, and it will only work when the red bar fills up completely, and you release the button then. That said, special attacks are really quite hard to pull off because they are so easily interrupted by enemy attacks and are generally not worth using unless you really want to see the effects of the move, so stick to the swift clicks for efficiency. I think your problem may be caused by releasing the mouse button too slowly after clicking ;)

Thanks a lot Kaeldorn. For whatever reason I cannot get the hang of the timing with it. Guess I'll keep trying.

The timing can be veary tricky for some I know for me it took the 2nd run of the game to realy get the hang of it ;)

Top Bottom