Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Most would argue The Witcher 1 had the most 'witcher-y' combat animations because Geralt did a lot of crazy stuff in that an insane amount of spinning, kicking etc. In his dodge moves sometimes he would somersault over an enemy head onto the other side.

TW3 kind of seems to take that to a better controlled level since TW1's combat was very limited.

auto refilling potions to the mix
Already confirmed to be not true.

Last edited:
I like the small taste of this new combat it looks real fun to me compared to TW2 on XB360.
I hope they add vibrations to the game pad when I use signs or shooting my crossbow or make contact with my swords.
Or it will feel dead and boring like TW2 combat felt. The implimentation for these vibrations are very important to me, I hear some pc gamers think it's annoying but as a long time console player it is the norm. So an On/Off option would be nice @Marcin Momot can you please tell devs this and the option to turn Off/On All HUD/Enemy healthbars and floating names? Sometimes I want to just explore on my own terms and open the map in the pause menu. And Sometimes I want to fight the enemy and not its healthbar and name, it looks very uncool like some old pc game. I'm not saying take it out for everyone, Im just saying let me and others turn it on/off and everyone will be happy that's all;)
Okay see ya in 6months bye!

For me TW1 combat was much better than the TW2 combat.
I was able to combine many strikes in TW1 without stopping, I was able to strike one enemy then select another enemy without loosing any of my combinations and it was great.
I also had the ability to fight even when surrounded but it was a little difficult to change from fast to surround but Geralt looked like a real swordsman in the game.

So far TW3 combat looks better than TW2 combat but we have not seen how Geralt fights when surrounded apart from using a sign.
It would be great if CDPR can show us some of the moves Geralt can make when he finds himself with different opponents.

I hated the TW1 combat system. I played through it on easy so I can be done with fights as fast as possible. The whole thing felt like a glorified QTE to me, didn't like it one bit. I was thrilled to see them moving away from that in TW2, the issue I had with it was the lack of responsiveness but FCR fixed some of that.

I hated the TW1 combat system. I played through it on easy so I can be done with fights as fast as possible. The whole thing felt like a glorified QTE to me, didn't like it one bit. I was thrilled to see them moving away from that in TW2, the issue I had with it was the lack of responsiveness but FCR fixed some of that.

...It wasn't a QTE. You were supposed to know the rhythm of each attack by heart, after a few times it became automated. You didn't just look for the flashing sword icon the entire game did you..

It was rhythm based and very robotic, not really governed all that much by player skill after the first 2-3 times you got the rhythm and it became a reflex. Drink a few potions here and there and dodge at times(rarely) and I managed to beat the game quite easily so not really what I'd call a good/balanced combat system.

It was rhythm based and very robotic, not really governed all that much by player skill after the first 2-3 times you got the rhythm and it became a reflex. Drink a few potions here and there and dodge at times(rarely) and I managed to beat the game quite easily so not really what I'd call a good/balanced combat system.

It is a good balanced challenging system with the FCR mod. Without it you get too much experience from side quests and it becomes easy later on

...It wasn't a QTE. You were supposed to know the rhythm of each attack by heart, after a few times it became automated. You didn't just look for the flashing sword icon the entire game did you..

I didn't. After a while you know the timing by just looking at the animation. But it still didn't make it any less boring or more exciting for me.

Last edited:
I think that we need a combat-focused gameplay video ASAP. From what we've seen until now, there are some critical points:

- Emphasis on pirouettes as the main evasive maneuver: from the released videos we almost don't see any evasive pirouette, only "aggressive" ones with a final sword slash.

- 95 animations. I can count only like 5-6 types of sword blow.

- Excessive use of the "dodge" maneuver, it feels unnatural and clumsy.

- We dont' see any master swordsman "finesse", Geral'ts combat style looks to me more like a samurai style (katana swordplay).

I expect TW3 to deliver the coolest and best combat gameplay in RPG history and beyond, indeed, it could exceed even action oriented games like Assassin's Creed and Batman.

I expect TW3 to deliver the coolest and best combat gameplay in RPG history and beyond, indeed, it could exceed even action oriented games like Assassin's Creed and Batman.
I suggest you don't. You'll (almost) always end up being disappointed with such expectations.

I suggest you don't. You'll (almost) always end up being disappointed with such expectations.

I'm wondering about Quen. In TW2 it was rather overpowered, but at least the game tried to balance it by preventing vigor regeneration when you had the shield activated. From the videos I've seen so far of TW3, stamina looked to restore fully even with the shield on. Thoughts?

I really liked both combat, tw1 and tw2. But there's the thing:

*tw1 has better animations etc. but you don't have a good control of the character
*tw2 has less "mothafucka" animation, you felt less the agility of geralt. But at least you have more control of the character
*tw1 has this boring thing, that when people blind you or you're stunned, you stay immoble and do a dumb animation
*tw2 you have tons of tons of rolls that was supposed to make people feel pro dodgers as geralt, but this failed miserably
*tw2 you have damn backstabb
*tw2 now projekt red has buffed way too much geralt, I beat the game before the buffs and on hard mode (it was hard at the start, and sincerely, all games I play on normal, except horror ones and skyrim because is too easy and tw2 because I wanted to feel epic)

also, I have a poll here:

Don't you think that in the witcher 3 Igni became OP, the igni and quen where the most used signs in gameplay videos and when geralt cast igni it seems that do a better job than aard, aard just push your enemy and stun him briefly, igni do damage to your enemy and "stun" him briefly, to know what I'm talking about, look the downwarren gameplay, give a special care for the werewolf fight:
Pic 1:Geralt start to stun the werewolf
Pic 2:Geralt lose almost all his vigor, the wolf it's still stunned and lost 10% of his health. Geralt use what it's left to charge the werewolf
Pic 3: First hit of geralt, he keeps stunned both by the fire and the recent hit he got
Pic 4: He has only 20% of his health, the fire stun ended leaving space to the one from the hit, but, geralt has already recovered his vigor ready to cast another igni (he doesn't do this on the trailer however)

There's such thing called "Easy difficulty". They used it on purpose to show off the things without trying hard.
So you think on harder difficulties the vigor won't regenerate? I can't recall how it was in TW2. I think that even in easy difficulty using Quen still prevented vigor regeneration, no?

Don't you think that in the witcher 3 Igni became OP, the igni and quen where the most used signs in gameplay videos and when geralt cast igni it seems that do a better job than aard, aard just push your enemy and stun him briefly, igni do damage to your enemy and "stun" him briefly, to know what I'm talking about, look the downwarren gameplay, give a special care for the werewolf fight:

Since they admit to be playing the game on easy its hard to say how OP thatll be on harder difficulties. I can't imagine they'll let us just stun enemies to death like that.

So you think on harder difficulties the vigor won't regenerate? I can't recall how it was in TW2. I think that even in easy difficulty using Quen still prevented vigor regeneration, no?

It's not easy difficulty it's demo difficulty, the balance has nothing to do with the final game.

I hope quen won't be as important this time around or at least as... I don't know if overpowered is the right word for it. It just felt that combat, in it's vanilla state, relied on it a bit too much or at least made it too attractive for the player.

I really like how the FCR mod did it. You would hold down your block button and you'd create a shield around you. You couldn't move while holding the shield up, you couldn't regenerate vigor and getting hit would decrease your vigor by 1 point and mini-stunned the enemy but it took very little time to bring the quen shield up.. It was a great change IMO and made you rely more on dodges, blocks and crowd control in order to avoid getting hit and in the case where a hit was inevitable you could use quen if you reacted fast enough (and opened your enemy up for a quick hit). Sadly it doesn't look like that in TW3, they seem to be using the same system as TW2: cast it once and then it's up for a certain time blocking damage by itself without you needing to manage it.

But signs have 2 kinds of forms though (igni can either create quick a wave of fire like TW1 or function like a flame thrower on a single target), do we know what quen's second form does?

Top Bottom