Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Are you guys aware of any other demos where we can see some difference in combat playing? I know the English one, the Polish one and the Russian one, and I think the English one comparatively did not do a good job in showcasing brilliant combats...

Are you guys aware of any other demos where we can see some difference in combat playing? I know the English one, the Polish one and the Russian one, and I think the English one comparatively did not do a good job in showcasing brilliant combats...

There's a Russian version!!!!? hold on, I'll be back in a minute............

Oh sweet Lord the combat in this game just keeps looking better and better.

Sorry for being late on Russian demo Topic, but was it the latest build or the same old build of the same demo, shown before? Also what exactly are the improvements in the combat compared to original demo?

Sorry for being late on Russian demo Topic, but was it the latest build or the same old build of the same demo, shown before? Also what exactly are the improvements in the combat compared to original demo?
As far as I can tell it's the same build and the combat didn't receive improvements. The difference here is similar to that in the Polish video - the player is much more aggressive and stays in the thick of things, chaining attacks together, unlike the original 35-min video where the he mainly attacked, jumped back, attacked, jumped back. So naturally the fights seem more intense and they capture more animations; both because he's flowing from one attack to the other and because he's attacking enemies from different angles, instead of just up-front as he did when he constantly jumped back to safety. I also find the dash\dodge move much less jarring here because the player mostly used it in moments that demanded it. So when the action is quick I can actually see the merit in the dodge being this fast.

You can check it out yourself. The combat looks good here.

[video=youtube;S0SDCr7U-wg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0SDCr7U-wg[/video]

Last edited:
Also, I also find the dash\dodge move much less jarring here because the player mostly used it in moments that required it. So when the action is quick I can actually see the merit in the dodge being this fast.

You know maybe it's just the backward dodge move that's a little bit jarring because in this one he uses mostly side dodges and I think they actually look better than the backwards one.

Oh Also I love the fact that if you just wail on enemies they actually push you back and interrupt your combo.

Same build, as far as I can tell. The combat didn't receive "improvements". At least, there aren't any mechanical additions. The difference here is like that in the Polish video - the player is much more aggressive and stays in the thick of things, chaining attacks together, unlike the original 35-min video where the player mostly attacked, jumped back, attacked, jumped back. So naturally the fights seemed more intense and they've captured more animations. Also, I also find the dash\dodge move much less jarring here because the player mostly used it in moments that required it. So when the action is quick I can actually see the merit in the dodge being this fast.

You can check it out yourself. The combat looks good here.

[video=youtube;S0SDCr7U-wg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0SDCr7U-wg[/video]
Thanks for explanation @eliharel. Yeah the guy playing in the Russian demo was a lot more aggresive and showed more animations.

After watching all three, I have to say I like the Russian one for its drowner fight, bandits fight and water hag fight, and the Polish one for the werewolf fight.

---------- Updated at 09:31 PM ----------

This is my TW3 combat wishlist after watching all three demos (English, Polish and Russian).

1. Slightly slower animations so Geralt's sword move takes up a greater portion, and as a result, his after-attack animation takes up a shorter portion. This way the combat would look actually more fluid and less like Devil May Cry. Currently, because Geralt's sword moves so fast, his after-attack animation feels like a pause to me. The combos feel like "1! 2! 3! 4!" instead of "1-->2-->3-->4," if that makes sense. With slightly slowed animations, Geralt would look as if he is constantly on the same level of agility, instead of bursting into a swing then pauses for 0.1 sec.

I know CDPR wants quicker animations for responsiveness, but I think as long as we can break the animations with dodge/block, it shouldn't be a problem.

2. Backward dodges should be slower or cover less distance. There is no way a person, even a witcher, can backwardly out-dodge a frontal-attacking werewolf.

3. There should be some (even one is fine) new animations for consecutive dodges instead of the same dodge played three times, as seen in the Polish werewolf fight.

4. Geralt sometimes looks as if sliding on the ground when his leg positions change. Perhaps an easy way to work around it is to add dust effects (or splash effects, if in water) along the trail of Geralt's feet, making them look as if having friction with the ground, hence less like sliding.

5. Please add more variety for initiating attacks. This type of attack will be used heavily in initiating fights, in switching targets or even in attacking retreating enemies, and I only see two types of this so far.

6. Geralt should be able to break a wooden shield. For the Wild Hunt's sake he can slice a person in two!

7. I'm not sure if it's an issue, but just in case: dodging, quick blocking and target switching should not reset the combo. Judging by how frequently they are used, their resetting would make it really hard to build up a combo.

8. Geralt's sword is not a lightsaber, and I find it unrealistic that Geralt can redirect a bolt back to its shooter and kill him. It'd be a lot more realistic to redirect a bolt to a nearby enemy and force a block/stagger out of him.

Well, that's all so far. Whether they will be implemented is a whole other question, but I just say my opinions. Ideas guys?

Last edited:
@kissybyc

1. I think the quicker animations/combos fits the description of him being a blur in combat at times. Though I've seen some iffy animations looking back at gameplay just now. Hopefully overall they are improved

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. Agree

5. Agree

6. I think the intense gore is for show. If shields could be taken out of the fight with one attack it would basically make them no different than normal foot soldiers

7. I think switching targets looks fluid. I'm a bit tired atm and what you meant may not get across to me fully with this concern. The game doesn't really have a typical combo system but I kinda know what you mean. I don't think switching targets, blocking, etc should slow the combat down. It should all be fluid and looks to be

8. I kind of agree on this one. The Archer got instantly killed by the deflection and it didn't take much effort to do it. I know it will probably be a skill to unlock but still. I think it may be because the demo is probably played on easy. I think he should be able to deflect them (Like in the books) but maybe have a % chance to hit the archer or people around him. Maybe it does in the final product, who knows.

Also, DMC is really fluid once you learn it. I hope you don't mean the god awful remake.

Last edited:
After watching all three, I have to say I like the Russian one for its drowner fight, bandits fight and water hag fight, and the Polish one for the werewolf fight.

This is my TW3 combat wishlist after watching all three demos (English, Polish and Russian).

1. Slightly slower animations so Geralt's sword move takes up a greater portion, and as a result, his after-attack animation takes up a shorter portion. This way the combat would look actually more fluid and less like Devil May Cry. Currently, because Geralt's sword moves so fast, his after-attack animation feels like a pause to me. The combos feel like "1! 2! 3! 4!" instead of "1-->2-->3-->4," if that makes sense. With slightly slowed animations, Geralt would look as if he is constantly on the same level of agility, instead of bursting into a swing then pauses for 0.1 sec.

I know CDPR wants quicker animations for responsiveness, but I think as long as we can break the animations with dodge/block, it shouldn't be a problem.

2. Backward dodges should be slower or cover less distance. There is no way a person, even a witcher, can backwardly out-dodge a frontal-attacking werewolf.

3. There should be some (even one is fine) new animations for consecutive dodges instead of the same dodge played three times, as seen in the Polish werewolf fight.

4. Geralt sometimes looks as if sliding on the ground when his leg positions change. Perhaps an easy way to work around it is to add dust effects (or splash effects, if in water) along the trail of Geralt's feet, making them look as if having friction with the ground, hence less like sliding.

5. Please add more variety for initiating attacks. This type of attack will be used heavily in initiating fights, in switching targets or even in attacking retreating enemies, and I only see two types of this so far.

6. Geralt should be able to break a wooden shield. For the Wild Hunt's sake he can slice a person in two!

7. I'm not sure if it's an issue, but just in case: dodging, quick blocking and target switching should not reset the combo. Judging by how frequently they are used, their resetting would make it really hard to build up a combo.

8. Geralt's sword is not a lightsaber, and I find it unrealistic that Geralt can redirect a bolt back to its shooter and kill him. It'd be a lot more realistic to redirect a bolt to a nearby enemy and force a block/stagger out of him.

Well, that's all so far. Whether they will be implemented is a whole other question, but I just say my opinions. Ideas guys?
1.I think so far that slower animations would not fit in the game, Geralt in the books is really fast and i think so far that the speed of the animations are good,
and actually DMC is a very fluid game.

6. If Geralt was able to break the shield, it would made the combat easier.

7. I don´t really think it is an issue, i like so far the combo system that cd projeckt implement in the combat, it reminds me of games like Prince of Persia and MG Rising, the target system so far works really well, and i think in both Russian and Polish gameplay you can see that switching targets doesn't brake the combo.

@Docttj the remake is not a bad game give it a try it is also a very fluid game.

Last edited:

Agreed.
Though about no. 6 - he should only be able to break a wooden shield after a few strong-attacks and maybe an acquired skill

I would add that the transitions between animations should be fluid and realistic, not choppy like in the demos
It looks far better in the E3 2013 and VGX than in the demos
http://i.minus.com/iEJjQAoYibkR7.gif
http://img.zwame.pt/eagleeye/multi/The_Witcher_3/06.gif

Last edited:
I would add that the transitions between animations should be fluid and realistic, not choppy like in the demos
It looks far better in the E3 2013 and VGX than in the demos
http://i.minus.com/iEJjQAoYibkR7.gif
http://img.zwame.pt/eagleeye/multi/The_Witcher_3/06.gif

Although the animations in those gifs are very smooth and fluid, by no means does that make the animations in the game choppy. Seriously after watching all three demos the animation ,in my opinion, is some of the most fluid I have ever seen, not sure how they can really improve on it. What animations looked choppy to you?

if wooden shield would be so easy to break with a simple sword slash, why would bandits even bother to carry them. :)

in reality it is impossible to break shield with a sword, even with hammer or axe.

if wooden shield would be so easy to break with a simple sword slash, why would bandits even bother to carry them. :)

in reality it is impossible to break shield with a sword, even with hammer or axe.

Well, I was thinking of breaking it after several strong attacks, and perhaps acquiring a perk for it. In reality it is impossible to slice human into two so easily either :)

Although the animations in those gifs are very smooth and fluid, by no means does that make the animations in the game choppy. Seriously after watching all three demos the animation ,in my opinion, is some of the most fluid I have ever seen, not sure how they can really improve on it. What animations looked choppy to you?
Really?
I keep watching the combat in the videos and keep seeing how Geralt is holding his sword before his body ready to parry and a frame later his arm his stretched out after he had cast an Aard sign.
And in general, the transitions between the animations are so inconsistent in their speed
How is this considered fluid?

That gets a lot harder to do if the person isn't dead weight hanging taut and also wearing clothing or armor ;)

cloth makes no difference, also swing is fast so cut will be finished before body will move or drop on the floor.

it is quite easy to cut through flesh, that is why full body armor was so desired in middle ages.

also leather armor was never used, it gave no protection.

This.

cloth makes no difference, also swing is fast so cut will be finished before body will move or drop on the floor.

it is quite easy to cut through flesh, that is why full body armor was so desired in middle ages.

also leather armor was never used, it gave no protection.

Do you have a video demonstrating someone chopping through a clothed opponent just as easily? I would be interested in watching it if so.

---------- Updated at 12:03 PM ----------

If you take a sharp knife and chop a block of meat you can chop clean through it. Put a thick layer of cloth/wool on top of the block of meat and try it again. Without sliding the blade back and forth the knife/cleaver will just bounce off of the clothing. It would require a sliding/slicing motion for a blade to effectively cut through the cloth, which makes completely chopping someone in half a lot more difficult than when chopping exposed flesh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom