Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Well i just expect that at least we have control on some animations.

We're going to have both.

Combos and series of normal attacks are made from animations that are randomized, from the ones that would make sense or blend of course.

But special attacks with specific uses are performed at will by the player, like the move used by Geralt in the E3 demo to cut in half a bandit. These are part of the enhanced focus in active abilities and skills to unlock, rather than passive bonuses, that the developers explained several times.

Did anyone notice how in the polish demo, Geralt's vigor is consumed when he does that sweet twirly whirly move against the endregas? Could it be an auto riposte à la TW2 or some other kind of deliberate defensive attack?

Did anyone notice how in the polish demo, Geralt's vigor is consumed when he does that sweet twirly whirly move against the endregas? Could it be an auto riposte à la TW2 or some other kind of deliberate defensive attack?

Yeah when he does the cut-in-half overhead swing it also decreases vigor a tiny bit, even though its regen speed is crazy fast. I suppose each move you can unlock has a deliberate use, the spinning one looks defensive or for groups, the other one is a slow massive damage swing, and so on.

Those are probably some of the special attacks that you can unlock in the swordman skill tree, I'm really excited about this new direction they are taking, it actually gives meaningful and fun gameplay progress in sword fighting that isnt just stats.

EDIT: Just noticed that the two "leaping forward" spinning attacks that Geralt uses to kill the last two wolves in the English 35min demo, also use vigor. I'm very happy to see this because one of the things that worried me about the combat footage in general is that Geralt does these attacks and misses many times, which led me to believe it might still be like in TW2 where because of not being able to choose when you leap forward or not, you get destroyed while jumping into a mob of enemies, since the game decides when to make Geralt jump to battle.
But now that they cost vigor, im inclined to believe we do get to choose accurately when to perform them, as special attacks, and thus we can keep medium to long range attacks controlled and use them at our own risk.

Last edited:
Yeah when he does the cut-in-half overhead swing it also decreases vigor a tiny bit, even though its regen speed is crazy fast. I suppose each move you can unlock has a deliberate use, the spinning one looks defensive or for groups, the other one is a slow massive damage swing, and so on.

Those are probably some of the special attacks that you can unlock in the swordman skill tree, I'm really excited about this new direction they are taking, it actually gives meaningful and fun gameplay progress in sword fighting that isnt just stats.

EDIT: Just noticed that the two "leaping forward" spinning attacks that Geralt uses to kill the last two wolves in the English 35min demo, also use vigor. I'm very happy to see this because one of the things that worried me about the combat footage in general is that Geralt does these attacks and misses many times, which led me to believe it might still be like in TW2 where because of not being able to choose when you leap forward or not, you get destroyed while jumping into a mob of enemies, since the game decides when to make Geralt jump to battle.
But now that they cost vigor, im inclined to believe we do get to choose accurately when to perform them, as special attacks, and thus we can keep medium to long range attacks controlled and use them at our own risk.

Also in the e3 twitcht gameplay the 3 spin attacks that geralt use to kill the first bandit consume vigor and also against the griffin in the same video.

Last edited:
Also in the e3 twitcht gameplay the 3 spin attacks that geralt use to kill the first bandit consume vigor and also against the griffin in the same video.

Thats true.

You know though, after checking other sections of combat again, some attacks that used vigor dont seem to require it in other encounters, I'm a bit confused, Like for example, in the Polish Demo when Geralt fights the drowner and the hags after speaking to the man in Downwarren, Geralt does some medium/long range attacks, and they dont deplete his vigor, and they have the same animations of the attacks i mentioned before. Its really weird.

I hope TW3 doesnt have the same light feel and physics of TW2, Geralt needs to "feel" heavier and not so light and "tip toey" haha

agreed?

Also the countering and stuff and blocking was not great in TW2 but i only played like hours worth of it, did like it though besides the physics..which is a big part for me

Last edited:
@Geralt_of_bsas
Yeah it´s really weird, maybe the attacks that use Geralt to finish the two wolfs in the video cover more distance and that made the vigor bar to consume? :dizzy:

I have no idea honestly, but I was thinking of something similar.

Like for example, a flexible system that lets you add something to normal attacks, damage or distance, maybe speed, and that makes them cost vigor.

But its all very vague speculation, I wish I knew how it works. My main concern is still that we can decide attacks depending on range and duration, this was the main problem of TW2.

Sure, TW2 had many problems for combat, like how Geralt moved, he couldnt strafe, the rolling was OP but at the same time inadequate for many situations, the blocking, parrying, etc. but there's nothing worse than the game "deciding" something for you which later gets you killed or hurt many times. It's not even just a problem of frustration, because after trying the Rise of the Sword mod for TW2 I remembered how much fun it is to simply have control over your character, and especially in a challenging but exiting combat encounter.

I have no idea honestly, but I was thinking of something similar.

Like for example, a flexible system that lets you add something to normal attacks, damage or distance, maybe speed, and that makes them cost vigor.

But its all very vague speculation, I wish I knew how it works. My main concern is still that we can decide attacks depending on range and duration, this was the main problem of TW2.

Sure, TW2 had many problems for combat, like how Geralt moved, he couldnt strafe, the rolling was OP but at the same time inadequate for many situations, the blocking, parrying, etc. but there's nothing worse than the game "deciding" something for you which later gets you killed or hurt many times. It's not even just a problem of frustration, because after trying the Rise of the Sword mod for TW2 I remembered how much fun it is to simply have control over your character, and especially in a challenging but exiting combat encounter.

Well, it is supposed that this time we gonna have full control on the combat, i looks so far that this time the game is not gonna decide when to do a long/medium attack, and even if we jump into a mob of enemies we can dodge,counter,block,parry enemies attack without a problem, also geralt is more faster so that would´t be a problem, about the attack animation speed,It was also said that in the swordmanship tree we can increase attack animation speed
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Gets-Fresh-Combat-Details-364018.shtml. in the microsoft e3 demo geralt attacks were slower comparing to the one show in twicht and gamescom demo, maybe that´s the reason why medium/large attacks consume vigor.

Hey, does anyone know if this features has been removed?
Improved crowd AI means enemies communicate with each other in combat, coordinating their efforts to surround Geralt or deploy combo attacks.
Enemy morale shapes with their actions: opponents flee or fight more cautiously when scared, attack recklessly when desperate, and beg for mercy on their knees when defeat is inevitable.

Improved crowd AI means enemies communicate with each other in combat, coordinating their efforts to surround Geralt or deploy combo attacks.
Enemy morale shapes with their actions: opponents flee or fight more cautiously when scared, attack recklessly when desperate, and beg for mercy on their knees when defeat is inevitable.

I really hope not...

Where did you read about this?

I think the posts are old so we don't really know if they will be same.

Well, wouldn't it be nice to know? People tend to repeat how innovative and mindblowing Witcher 3 will be here so I'm quite curious whether that still applies to the combat system once presented by CDPR. We alrady know that the enemy body parts target system was cut so hopefully at least some innovations stayed in place...

Well, wouldn't it be nice to know? People tend to repeat how innovative and mindblowing Witcher 3 will be here so I'm quite curious whether that still applies to the combat system once presented by CDPR. We alrady know that the enemy body parts target system was cut so hopefully at least some innovations stayed in place...

Yea some of the stuff that was mentioned all the way back in the announcement (Feb, 2013) and at E3 2013 could be very much up in the air.

Personally in the Demo we didn't really see any evidence of enemies fleeing, begging for mercy or an "advanced AI", and we know VATS was cut (Good thing though IMO)... Could be that it all still exists and is very much in the game, just that circumstances present in the Demo didn't enable such situations, or it might have been cut.

Have to wait and see, at the very least I hope the "Enemy Morale" system still exists. You couldn't have it trigger every time, or else some encounters would be way too easy, but the occasional bandit begging for death or attempting to flee (And then lobbing a Grapeshot at him) would be really satisfying in Combat.

Yea some of the stuff that was mentioned all the way back in the announcement (Feb, 2013) and at E3 2013 could be very much up in the air.

Personally in the Demo we didn't really see any evidence of enemies fleeing, begging for mercy or an "advanced AI", and we know VATS was cut (Good thing though IMO)... Could be that it all still exists and is very much in the game, just that circumstances present in the Demo didn't enable such situations, or it might have been cut.

Have to wait and see, at the very least I hope the "Enemy Morale" system still exists. You couldn't have it trigger every time, or else some encounters would be way too easy, but the occasional bandit begging for death or attempting to flee (And then lobbing a Grapeshot at him) would be really satisfying in Combat.

There was an interview or something where a dev said these AI aspects were not implemented in the footage we saw so far. We also know that the demo was played in easy mode, so maybe that affects how enemies act.

Its time they start showing the real deal though, all of this announced features, elements and surprises, otherwise it'll become too suspicious.

Top Bottom