Combat in The Witcher 3

+
If it's still too hard, go for weaker weapons and armour... no one says you *have* to use the uber-quality loot. You can also start "playing" with your character build, looking for new fun combinations, and avoiding those already made OP by your levelling choices & combinations.
It sucks that it has to be that way

Most reviewers are probably playing the game in normal, they have to finish the game pretty quickly, i think we are in for a challenge if we go for Death March or the one before it (forgot the name :S)

Dunno anything about iframe but same reviewers gave the game 10:s and 9:s so I don't even care anymore
Sorry. I should have clarified. i frames are frames (a short instant) of invulnerability when you dodge. It's usually early in the dodge. Many games have this gimmick. It's when you can dodge based on timing, even if the enemy can still reach you. The enemy hits you, but it doesn't count, as if you'd turn into a ghost in that momment. If a player is used to this gimmick (the Soul Series has it), then he might think he should have dodged some attacks that caught him. I'm very happy about TW3 not having i frames. It's a terrible gimmick and a lame game development crutch.

No question I'll be playing this on hard, maybe even Dark if there's no perma death. Too many reviewers have stated it gets really easy late game, and I want none of that. Also, I'm sad right now because it's pretty clear there's no long distance targeting. It's going to be whiff, whiff, whiff - hit. Almost every other attack. It just seems off, like a part of the system is missing. I'm baffled why they would remove a key feature that enabled Geralt to tackle groups of enemies.

Last edited:
So, is blue upgraded Igni still in? I thought it sounded kinda cool, but haven't seen mentioned lately.

Oh right I forgot that the higher the difficulty, the less xp you receive. Hi Death March indeed.

I am a bit concerned however by reviewers mentionning they finished the main quest around level 35 or so. Hopefully there are some higher level stuff in the world (since the cap is 60 I think?), but still it means that you can't do everything else that you want before the main quest, which is a bit sad. IMHO in an open world the world shouldn't scale with your level indeed but the main quest should.

I hated in DA:I that you had to rush the main quest and avoid some zones completely if you didn't want to overlevel.

Witcher 3 has iFrames but only on finishers, you can initiate a finisher on an enemy so that you can dodge an attack from another.

Best way to do that is to use Axii or Aard sign to knock them down or sleep them then go close and do 1 fast attack.

Anyone knows if you can do that atack that geralt did in the first video when hold his sword, take two steps and hit the hipnoticed enemy?is like if you were holding the hard atack botton and you finish with they. In the game if yoi hold the Y he doesn't do any special atack...but I'm in the first level yet

Anyone knows if you can do that atack that geralt did in the first video when hold his sword, take two steps and hit the hipnoticed enemy?is like if you were holding the hard atack botton and you finish with they. In the game if yoi hold the Y he doesn't do any special atack...but I'm in the first level yet
I may be wrong but I think with one adrenaline point or whatever it's called and a skill in the heavy attack tree you can hold down heavy attack to do a powerful blow.

Go to the tutorial section in game and in the combat category look for strong attack and special attacks.

Last edited:
Sorry if it's been asked before but do (some) enemies respawn? Like bandits that attack you on horseback. I really enjoy fighting against human enemies but I'm restraining myself from killing bandits if they're not quest related because I'm afraid they might not respawn

Swordplay combat = Hollywood

Game is great overall but aside from player, and especially horse movement being clunky... I want to note I'm Playing on PC, using PS4 controller via InputMapper...

but..... Is it too hard to ask for a simple realistic swordplay from a game of this magnitude in 2015 ???
I understand it's a fantasy game but there's plenty of stuff for fantasy lovers, but the rest of us who want some realism, CD RED you couldn't at least have given us realistic sword combat ?? Yea I get you should throw in a few dodge/rolls or risk turning it into a buttom mash fest, I do that, but even then can it be really that hard to build a sword combat system that can stand on it's own two legs ??

First off, once you get close with your sword it's like they motion captured only 10 sword swings and 8 of them are 360 spins.
Secondly WHY oh WHY do the quick/light sword strikes half (if not most) the the time G-Money ends up doing some bullshhhh Hollywood 360 spinorama strike instead of simple precise crisp swing/stab/cut as one would think it'd be common sense for a quick/light strike.
There are PLENTY of Medieval weapons/warfare experts in Europe, (the re-enactors specifically) you couldn't hire one guy and motion capture some proper realistic sword hits ? Instead you slapped a motion capture suit on the accountant at the office and apparently told him the scenario was there are bees buzzing all around, kill them with your sword.

Trying to put together a swordfight via something swift and precise is impossible, not just because of the reasons I listed above, but also because of these reasons you're stuck in these long drawn out animations for too long, this isn't my opinion these things I'm talking about are facts there's no way around it. I'm wondering if patches or better yet future mods will be able to fix the combat ??
Summing this up would be like a Mixed Martial Arts fighter going into a fight, and almost exclusively using his roundhouse kicks/knees and spinning elbows/fists for the majority of his strikes, does that sound ridiculous to anyone ?
:facepalm:

So rest of you guys really feel sword combat is fine as is and wouldn't like to see it improved any further ?

So rest of you guys really feel sword combat is fine as is and wouldn't like to see it improved any further ?

The game has been released. If it isn't broke, I don't see them changing things much. Obviously the movement sucks, and that can be tweaked, but asking for more animations in combat is probably something that wouldn't be answered until Witcher 4.

Top Bottom