Combat in The Witcher 3

+
I was really excited when I read that, I love the combat system of the Arkham games, and also along with complete character control of the AC games.
Not saying Geralt should become Batman or an Assassin, but less tanku and more of a dancer :D

IsengrimR

The issue is we are talking an RPG here. Not an Action beat-them-up which batman is.
Sure action-rpg, but still. I actually liked the Witcher 2 combat system, so considering they want to improve it and chage some stuff - I am cool with that.
I dislike the entire "press now to parry" pop-up thing. Nah, no thanks. I would rather see it made like in bossfights in W2 - while you can ripost ( Letho for example ), it doesn't say you when to start ( not even a parry icon ). When you work out when to riposte ( and it's rather easy to do ) then you can beat Letho down with a wooden stick, or a rake.

It's makes me feel that the combat system has more depth, and kinda has a feeling of "know your enemy". I would bet that fighting a person that fights in the style you know, is a much easier thing than fighting a person that fights in a style unknown to you ( like putting a guy that fights with sword and shield only against a guy with a katana, that knows how to fight only with it ).
Considering the amount of animations isn't limitless ( basically the AI cannot improvise in that matter ) getting to know how to fight each type of weapon is a nice process in my eyes. I mean, I liked the way it was in Dark Souls, where almost evey weapon had a different move-set, and knowing it made a difference in PvP combat. Overall, would be nice, if NPCs would fight differently with their weapons being randomised a lot. Maybe even different regions having different fighting styles ( like Witcher 1: Evles vs Order ).

I assume they were talking about the targeting, not so much about counters.

They'd better not include counters...

:mean:

I didn't like riposte, was hard sometimes to use it, and the fact you were forced to roll a lot like a monkey to dodge effectively especially on low vigor...

I'd post that video of the dude fighting in Arkham City with his eyes closed and pushing alternate buttons on his console pad but I can't be arsed, hopes it's a bit more involved than that.

Don't mind if TW3 combat system has the same responsiveness as the Batman games, but for the rest... Let's just say, my 10 year old brother just managed to complete Batman AA without too much trouble. So I'm hoping for something a bit more complex. But they said themselves that they don't want to draw too much of a comparison, and I trust that CDPR is going to give us challenging combat.

They'd better not include counters...
Indeed. For the love of God, No Immediate Counters! If you wanna counter an opponent, you should at least need to put a little effort in it.

Last edited:
All I'm gonna say is that my mouse broke in the middle of playing through Batman: AA. Beat the game with a touchpad. What does this mean, you ask? Well, it means that I'm a cheap, lazy bastard but also that Batman's combat system might not be the best solution.

As I said in a previous post, however, I am confident that CDPR are talking about the responsiveness and the way targeting is handled in Rocksteady's games.

In their latest interview with IGN India:

That's not saying the combat system will be exactly like Batman: Arkham.
For a lot of players, the combat system in TW2 was a chore (not for me). The FCR didn't help much in my opinion, but it shows they know where are the flaws of their system.
One of their main focus this time is to make a satisfying combat system.

I love the combat system in Arkham games (and mostly everything about this series), but it's a system made for a 20/30 hours long game, and it feels very repetitive and boring in the end (it's also tied to enemy design, which is very redundant). And you can feel overpowered "too soon" if you have normal motricity...
I think it would fit Geralt's fighting style perfectly. I hope they will succeed at making their own "freeflow combat".

I understand the concern. But I think they also mentioned a harder modes for players who want a challenge, and also since this is a Witcher game, we can expect to use the full spectrum of Geralt's witcher abilities in a hard mode and be challenged. I remember reading that having the player feel like a witcher was important for this game's combat, so I am guessing we can still expect the preparation-heavy and strategic gameplay of the last two games.

I'm hoping for a game where you really must rely on your full arsenal of equipment, without there being just one specific ability or potion that can get you through the entire game, or for there to be one specific build that will by far trump all.

Maybe my experience is a bit irrelevant, since I haven't played Witcher 2 yet, but Witcher 1 became a bit disappointing, challenge wise, pretty early into the game. Tactics were summarized by drinking Swallow; any other potion was just for show. And as long as you leveled up your strength and dexterity abilities, and used Igni, things were fairly simple. I also didn't see much reward for trying different builds. Not that there are many - mainly a Sign-focused character, or a melee focused.

The tactics-avenue is limited as-is, when the game isn't party-focused. Geralt should be given several building paths that each one is fairly different from the other. Nothing too fancy, either - just the classic fighter/rogue/mage focus in fantasy, in the context of The Witcher. Forcing him to develop into a jack of all trades is detrimental to the building aspect of RPGs.

Again, maybe my comment is completely moot after Witcher 2.

The Witcher was a fairly easy game, yes. With The Witcher 2 expect tougher difficulty at the start. Things get a bit too easy towards the end, though. Definitely something CDPR need to work on for TW3.

@eliharel
If you use the Full Combat Rebalance mod for The Witcher 1 it will give you exactly what you want.

I absolutely hate when you have a lot of things and options and you dont need half of them, and when i played it with the mod, everything actually had its valuable place, the potions, the swords, the signs, etc.

Try it.

Last edited:
All I'm gonna say is that my mouse broke in the middle of playing through Batman: AA. Beat the game with a touchpad. What does this mean, you ask? Well, it means that I'm a cheap, lazy bastard but also that Batman's combat system might not be the best solution.

As I said in a previous post, however, I am confident that CDPR are talking about the responsiveness and the way targeting is handled in Rocksteady's games.

Thank you ReptilePZ for that clarification. :cool: Aye, that is exactly what I'm afraid of, though 'afraid' isn't the right word, I have complete faith in the devs. I loved both Arkham Asylum and City, but the games are definately beat 'em up kind of games regarding fighting. Button mashing comes to my mind here, and that is not my view of Witcher games. At least not Witcher 1 with its timed clicks, and if you clicked too fast you ruined the waves. Still I never viewed the waves as combos. You know, left,left right right and then mash some more.

Also Geralt has swords to fight advesaries, not fists, but this I mentioned earlier. and so have many of you. :) I wonder how the fluency of the fighting will be? Hope my favourite animations from 1 and 2 return in 3. That would be sweet indeed!

Arkham City had too big a jump from Medium to Hard diff, in my opinion. HArd was just too long and opponents, instead of attacking like a team or using special attacks, just had too many hitpoints.

I hope that W3 combines the fluid power and visceral feeling of Batman combat with the fragility of mere mortals vs. sharp chunks of metal.

In other words, fast, scary and dangerous. Fights over in ten seconds or so. Fights vs multiple opponents to be avoided or "cheated", (by using Witcher advantages and powers), through.

Arkham City had too big a jump from Medium to Hard diff, in my opinion. HArd was just too long and opponents, instead of attacking like a team or using special attacks, just had too many hitpoints.

I hope that W3 combines the fluid power and visceral feeling of Batman combat with the fragility of mere mortals vs. sharp chunks of metal.

In other words, fast, scary and dangerous. Fights over in ten seconds or so. Fights vs multiple opponents to be avoided or "cheated", (by using Witcher advantages and powers), through.

W2 FCR did this perfectly but still haven't had a full playthrough yet

Top Bottom