Combat in The Witcher 3

+
"Back on Witcher 3 - do you think it's possible to slow down the time like in the demo (when Geralt used crossbow) and use your sword to cut down the enemies with it? To me that part in the demo reminded of Metal Gear Rising slow-mo-cutting feature. Any thoughts on that?"

Last edited:
Are you high or what?

I agree combat in Batman is awesome, but you have to admit it is a little easy sometimes to counter all your opponents, but like you said at least it isn't as bad as Assassin's Creed. You do require some skill to succeed in Batman.

"Back on Witcher 3 - do you think it's possible to slow down the time like in the demo (when geral used Gabriel) and use your sword to cut down the enemies with you Sword? To me that part in the demo reminded of Metal Gear Rising slow-mo-cutting feature. Any thoughts on that?"
No. It would be a cool feature for finishers, especially with the new dismemberment system, but I think we'd already know about it if it were in the game.

Last edited:
It has been confirmed, they were thinking of a VATS feature like that but it was cancelled.
True, although from what I've seen on YouTube, this system is different and not as complex as VATS. So it looks doable, but I still doubt we'll get anything like that.

Can someone please tell me what is VATS ?
It was a game mechanic that was in the Fallout games starting from the 3rd one. It basically stopped time and let you select parts of your enemy to attack and then it would happen in a semi-cutscene in slow-motion. Never personally found a use for it, maybe it was only useful on consoles I guess because fps aiming with a controller isn't precise.

Can someone please tell me what is VATS ?
Play Fallout. Specifically, New Vegas - stay away from 3. VATS is basically turn-based combat in an first-person FPS/RPG hybrid. Works great in scoping out your targets, and in certain situations (I found it extremely useful in sniping.)

Last edited:
Personally I never quite liked it. When Fallout Wanderers Edition (FO3) and Project Nevada (FNV) came around I immediately switcher to it and used the vats points for the slowmo feature from those mods. Made combat more fun for me than VATS ever did (not to mention VATS being broken in some aspects).

As for the slowmo in TW3 I don't mind it, it was already there in TW2 and it didn't annoy me. Without it would have been difficult and frustrating for the camera to be suddenly positioned over Geralt's shoulder, close to him and you having to make a precise throw in real time while monsters are rushing you (not to mention that they can mini-stun with their attacks). TW isn't a shooter, it should be treated as one, so the slowmo makes sense for me.

Lol obviously you haven't played any of the arkham series. Arkham combat is considered as one of the best free-flow combat to date, tell me any other game like that? It's all based on reaction and timing, it's not Asassin's Creed bullshit where all you need to do is wait for enemy to attack and make a counter kill while others are just standing there and doing nothing. Im also not talking about the easiest difficulty - play it on hard and you will see the beauty of it when there are not "counter" icons on the enemies etc, you have to be quick and think which combat method to use. Whether do disarm enemy and, whether to counter him, wheter to break his weapon, whether to use your gadgets or environmental stuff. It's much more complex then what you just told... It's also one (if not) the fluidiest combat system out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUZD28VhpT4&index=5&list=PLJms5sWamFOW32O47IY-0SWPd8fQBX-lp

I agree with you that Arkham combat is a lot of fun and extremely impressive in terms of fluidity. The problem with Arkhm combat is that it only really shines when its Batman vs a room of 10+ enemies. Smaller encounters and the boss fights are where it completely falls apart, which is why so many of the boss fights lean heavily on QTEs.
Also, in Batman you spend 99% of the time fighting humans. I'm not sure free flow would work well against creatures like you'd encounter in the Witcher universe.

Since I don't see Geralt taking on 10-20 enemies regularly, I think its better off with a "non-free flow action" style of something like Ninja Gaiden or Metal Gear Rising, which is a style that excels at small group combat and amazing boss fights.

Last edited:
^ I agree, it wouldn't really fit Geralt fighting monsters and IMO it wouldn't fit RPG genre in general either. I wonder what did CDPR had in minds when they said that they are taking inspiration for combat from Arkham series? Because from what we have seen so far it looks nothing like in batman games.

^ I agree, it wouldn't really fit Geralt fighting monsters and IMO it wouldn't fit RPG genre in general either. I wonder what did CDPR had in minds when they said that they are taking inspiration for combat from Arkham series? Because from what we have seen so far it looks nothing like in batman games.
They probably meant switching between targets is easier instead of a sort of 'locked on' it was before or maybe they mean you can interrupt your attacks etc, Batman games do the same thing and nobody complains about the transition, hell it doesn't even have a transition when that happens, his hand just instantly manages to block something.

And this is good. Free Flow System (Batman, AC etc..) isn't a good combat system for an RPG.

And this is good. Free Flow System (Batman, AC etc..) isn't a good combat system for an RPG.
Indeed, Arkham games are different type of games. However what Witcher 3 combat needs is more polish on animations. I mean CDPR needs to work on more fluid transitions between different animations. Because now it looks really unnatural and robotic - for example when Geralt swings his sword and suddenly teleports A.K.A. dodges/stepside to other direction.

http://s1.webmshare.com/o8QdQ.webm

It's like I'm really Batman 10/10 - IGN
Yeah but that tactic:
1. Won't knock out enemies, it'll just stop you from getting hit.
2. Won't allow you to build up your combo so you won't be able to use the more advanced stuff.

Basically that's not the way you're supposed to play it and it isn't even effective at all.

What you're doing right now is something I've noticed from certain people on both sides of the Witcher vs Game X combat argument: a good combat mechanic or idea is presented to you (be it from TW3 or another game), explained why it's objectively good in its particular scenario but you then proceed to completely ignore that and bring in your own "facts" that make as much sense as the bird weirdo in chapter 2.

Top Bottom