Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Do you have a video demonstrating someone chopping through a clothed opponent just as easily? I would be interested in watching it if so.

Pig dressed in human clothes or armor cut by a sword sure buddy :) give me a sec.
As for real human try looking on liveleak or maybe 4chan

Big thing is momentum and small point of force insertion

Pig dressed in human clothes or armor cut by a sword sure buddy :) give me a sec.
As for real human try looking on liveleak or maybe 4chan

Big thing is momentum and small point of force insertion

I'm interested in it for science, of course! I was told by someone who fights regularly with armor/weapons that completely decapitating/dismembering parts of the body in actual combat were rare occurrences. He said it was because of clothing, padding and armor making it very difficult to strike exposed flesh. He also said that in actual combat people would very rarely wind up attacks enough to generate the type of force necessary since it left you open to counterattack.

I'm interested in it for science, of course! I was told by someone who fights regularly with armor/weapons that completely decapitating/dismembering parts of the body in actual combat were rare occurrences. He said it was because of clothing, padding and armor making it very difficult to strike exposed flesh. He also said that in actual combat people would very rarely wind up attacks enough to generate the type of force necessary since it left you open to counterattack.

it was rare because European mortal art was more about pricing rather than slashing. It is impossible to make any damage by sword slash to steel armor, things like this on pic were used for this. Fighting techniques are fascinating

it was rare because European mortal art was more about pricing rather than slashing. It is impossible to make any damage by sword slash to steel armor, things like this on pic were used for this. Fighting techniques are fascinating

Yeah, a warhammer could be very effective against someone wearing armor. So no luck finding any videos of chopping a clothed opponent in half? I could not find any in my search. I saw people getting cut but not completely in half.

freakie1one said:
If you take a sharp knife and chop a block of meat you can chop clean through it. Put a thick layer of cloth/wool on top of the block of meat and try it again. Without sliding the blade back and forth the knife/cleaver will just bounce off of the clothing. It would require a sliding/slicing motion for a blade to effectively cut through the cloth, which makes completely chopping someone in half a lot more difficult than when chopping exposed flesh.

That video proved my point. The slashing/slicing weapon (katana) was able to penetrate the clothing while the chopping weapon (longsword) just bounced off. Watch for yourself at 5 minutes and 10 seconds into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EDkoj932YFo#t=310

Last edited:
That video proved my point. The slashing/slicing weapon (katana) was able to penetrate the clothing while the chopping weapon (longsword) just bounced off. Watch for yourself at 5 minutes and 10 seconds into the video:

Man this longsword is so fake... And is clear that the man of the video planned everything to make katana superior in every point
I mean the katana they're holding obviously was made with modern technology and this sword is such a trash replica of a real knight sword...

The point is that leather/cloth wouldn't help much, you would still chop arm/shoulder off easily. As you can see from the Katana strike.
That Longsword vs Katana comparison is pure bullshit...

The point is that leather/cloth wouldn't help much, you would still chop arm/shoulder off easily. As you can see from the Katana strike.
That Longsword vs Katana comparison is pure bullshit...

You're missing the point. You can't chop effectively through armor or clothing. You can slice and slash effectively with a blade that is designed to do so, but attempting to chop will bounce off just like the video showed. The katana strike didn't chop through anything, it sliced.

Chopping is hitting an object square on. Slicing/slashing is drawing the edge of the blade along the object. If you were to slice with a longsword you could cut through clothing but not with enough momentum or force to dismember something completely.

---------- Updated at 07:28 AM ----------

Here's what fighting with a longsword looks like and why dismembering people with it is a bit silly:

This is why I think dismembering should be very limited in TW3 and not something that is common.

Last edited:
That's not fighting.. looks more like a ballet :facepalm:

Incorrect. They're demonstrating maneuvers which were used for longsword fighting in medieval times. They've studied texts from the time period to learn the techniques which were actually used. Yes, those are all very real maneuvers used in combat at the time. See this site for reference:

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_arms_gls.php

A quote from that page:

Some of their manuals are reliant primarily on illustrations, such as those by Master Hans Talhoffer, and others primarily on text, including one in particular by a master named Sigmund Ringeck, who recorded his own commentaries on Liechtenauer's original verses so that others could decode the meaning. These manuals detail many forms of fighting such as fighting with the longsword (both in and out of armour), the messer (a single-edged sword similar in form to a falchion), sword and buckler, or the dagger, as well as unarmed combat and fighting from horseback.

While not all of the German masters followed a straight lineage from Liechtenauer's teachings, the majority of surviving manuscripts at least reference him, and many masters who taught techniques that are different from Liechtenauer's direct tradition were still clearly influenced by Liechtenauer. We know that Kunst des Fechtens was practiced in the 14th and 15th centuries, and the 16th century German masters Jacob Sutor and Joachim Meyer produced manuals that show longsword fencing from the same lineage. Therefore we know that this style existed in at least three centuries.

Last edited:
Man this longsword is so fake... And is clear that the man of the video planned everything to make katana superior in every point
I mean the katana they're holding obviously was made with modern technology and this sword is such a trash replica of a real knight sword...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNoBTDR9kY "Longsword Cutting Session - Debunking Lock N Load Blades" This is what you needed man, glad to help. Loved the music in this...

In other words, the chopping just got real. I always loved that bloody mess perk in Fallout...

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNoBTDR9kY "Longsword Cutting Session - Debunking Lock N Load Blades" This is what you needed man, glad to help. Loved the music in this...

In other words, the chopping just got real. I always loved that bloody mess perk in Fallout...

Thank you. This was exactly what I was asking for earlier when I requested a video showing what a longsword would actually do against clothing.

Thank you. This was exactly what I was asking for earlier when I requested a video showing what a longsword would actually do against clothing.

Funny thing is, I only looked it up because of his words, I am used to using blunt longswords and axes all the time, as does my friend, Simon... in the ACL (Armored Combat League) http://youtu.be/A1d72hbLaic

Last edited:
Funny thing is, I only looked it up because of his words, I am used to using blunt longswords and axes all the time, as does my friend, Simon... in the ACL (Armored Combat League) http://youtu.be/A1d72hbLaic

After watching the video you linked of the sword vs. clothing the video I previously linked (showing actual longsword maneuvers used in medieval times) makes a lot of sense. The maneuvers were designed to get the longsword into a position where quick thrusts with the point of the sword or quick slashes could be performed. Very rarely were long wind ups used for attacks since it left you open to counterattack and you'd quickly die if you were do so in actual combat. This is why dismemberment being a common occurrence is rather silly.

Last edited:
After watching the video you linked of the sword vs. clothing the video I previously linked (showing actual longsword maneuvers used in medieval times) makes a lot of sense. The maneuvers were designed to get the longsword into a position where quick thrusts with the point of the sword or quick slashes could be performed. Very rarely were long wind ups used for attacks since it left you open to counterattack and you'd quickly die if you were do so in actual combat.

Right, all I meant with my comparison is we don't train to kill in armored combat groups these days... ;) I'm just glad I found it because showing the real damage makes the violence level in game realistically fitting.

Right, all I meant with my comparison is we don't train to kill in armored combat groups these days... ;) I'm just glad I found it because showing the real damage makes the violence level in game realistically fitting.

As long as dismemberment is kept to a minimum in TW3 then I'll be happy. It should be very rare and difficult to do so, especially since most people you will be fighting will be wearing some type of armor.

As long as dismemberment is kept to a minimum in TW3 then I'll be happy. It should be very rare and difficult to do so, especially since most people you will be fighting will be wearing some type of armor.

See, this I can get with, on buckles, metal plate, chain, yeah, that's a tougher programing level of perfection no matter how it is approached. Dismemberment, would depend on armor, exposed leather armored limbs and Witcher strength would apply what the; ehem not so in shape, but very well versed, sword owner, could not show us (chopping all the way through).

My question with gameplay combat is are they going to have targetable points on weak penetration spots of solid armor (for realism), I did not see that in the demo, maybe I missed something...

I mean there's more to find out about the whole system. All good stuff to discuss, indeed.

European Medieval combat is something I am well read on, and fascinated by. I have a really good account of what medieval wounds would have looked like, from the battle of visby. Here

As has been well documented, the famous excavations at the site of the battle of visby on gotland off the coast of sweden have revealed a tremendous wealth of archaeological evidence about the nature of medieval battle wounds(as well as armor) In July 1361, a small peasant force was defeated in three battles by danish soldiers. Over 1200 corpses were left in grave pits outside the city of visby. Likely because of high temperatures on the day of the summer battle, the corpses were not stripped of their armor as usual but quickly dumped in mass graves. The mass graves show a wide range and diversity of armor types. Everything from soft and hard leather to differing sizes of mail and "coat of plate" was discovered. No two pieces are identical, with each having been made for the individual. Both noble and commoner appear to have been armored in at least some way.

Most interesting is what the skeletal remains of the visby site reveal about their wounds. Excavations and forensic examinations of the skeletal remians were made and the injuries to bones recorded in detail. More then 450 skeletons showed tremendous injuries. Of the more then 1,000 corpses, the majority had major limb wounds. About half or more of the corpses also appear to have died as a result of head wounds, but 70 percent or so of those also suffered serious leg wounds as well.
The shinbones and leg armor of many skeletons were nicked and cut into. More then 70 percent of the corpses had wounds to their lower legs; about 12 percent had wounds to their thighs only. One man had both legs cut off by an apparent single blow. Helmeted skulls were found that had been cleaved clean through, others had parts of their craniums sliced off. Most of the visby remains however, show no bone trauma; suggesting that they died of soft tissue damage, or flesh wounds(arrows, spears, slices, and stabs). considering that they were still wearing armor, this fact could also be the result of either blunt trauma or thrusts. There are also many indications that individuals died from wounds delivered to their backs, likely while retreating or fleeing.

Recent study speculates that the visby excavations say a great deal about the overall importance of attacking the lower legs in medieval combat. More then 75 percent of blows to the left shin of the skeletons were made to the outer side. thus it is easy to see that the casualties received their wounds when standing in a familiar, left-leg forward sword and shield stance.

Dismemberment of an armored opponent is possible, but not likely with a sword. A poleaxe likely inflicted the wound in which both legs were lost. Most of the wounds identified are either to the forearm, ankles or skulls. It looks like because of wearing armor that protected the torso, most people were taken out of action by aiming for less well-protected areas such as legs and arms and then killed later with hits to the head. Though, to be completely fair soft tissue wounds would not be identifiable via skeleton, so there is some room for error here.

Top Bottom