Combat in The Witcher 3

+
I just wanted to say that I was not that impressed by Ass Creed Unity's graphics. To me it looked a little better than last gen, maybe it's because it was only 900p. The game with all of its pop in and and stupid looking npcs, with the same exact face and clothing everywhere was just retarded.
The lighting was awful and the the game world was dead. Ass Creed Unity Sucks, NEXT. Sorry, I will try harder to stay on topic next time ;)

are you troling ?
Unity is easily one best looking game ever, lighting alone is Oscar worthy.
I highly doubt witcher will achieve similar graphical quality

@ONLY ONCE Im sorry but you are either trolling or simply never played AC unity.

Lightining is one of the best graphical elements in that game and graphics overall look stunning.. If I was about to name best things from Unity - it would be photorealistic graphics and amazing lightining + how alive the Paris felt. Ofc the game is awful when it comes to optimisation, but saying that it looks bad or that lightining "sucks" is nothing but plain troll / silly to me.

If Witcher 3 will look atleast half as good - I'll be impressed.

EDIT: SRY havent seen ReptilePZ's post.

Last edited:
The combat in The Witcher 3 is fine!!!!!!!!! What's all the fuss about? When was the last time you saw such a smooth and beautiful sword swinging in an open world RPG?

I think the motion capture for animations results in the slightly floaty/jerky/roughness in transitions and combat in general. Reminds me of Ryse on the XBone. Personally I loved RYSE and expect to do the same with W3, setting my expectations realistically. It's too late for drastic/dramatic changes in combat but from what I've seen I expect to enjoy it as is, changes or not. Hope others do The same, and they'll be less likely to be disappointed at launch.

Right now, the "problem" I'm seeing with the animations that look arcade-ish is that it looks as if CDPR motion captured full combos, and then broke them apart into single swings you can either perform or not. The issue with this is that once a combo starts in TW3 as of now, everything is fluid, but as soon as you take a tiny bit of time too long to perform the next move, Geralt stays in a still state, and when the next move actually happens, its all fast and unrealistic because it has all the momentum and speed that it'd had if you performed it right after the first move, as if Geralt didnt stop and start between them.

Its like the animations that are meant to be parts of fast combos dont take into account possible breaks in the momentum and weight that the player can take, when they are triggered they just keep going super fast as if you never stopped before. This is of course more noticeable with the spinning moves as spinning gives momentum, and also explains why most moves, when performed independently, look great and fluid, with a proper beginning and end.

I think this will get solved by release more or less.

@Me_HD_i Yep, the animations look cool and fun to me! I bet it's even more awesome, when we are the ones playing it and not just watching a shitty youtube stream that does this game no justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm theirs a growing trend of having no control over the animations in combat. It probably won't matter too much. I just hope that it doesn't get to the point of i want to be playing one way, but the game does the opposite.

Do you guys know the real problem with the combat ? It has a more natural speed and movement then other games, the animations are full fletched and in high speed, in other words its looks to good to be true, in other more words, people are blinded by the beauty of it. I swear, if you rewatch this videos, you can see that the animations are top notch but they have such an natural and realistic way of moving that people just dont comprehend it, people are used with lesser combat animations. Its time to evolve . One game to rule them all, next years is gonna be a ball, to many games to choose from, but the Witcher will solve it all.

It has a more natural speed and movement then other games
I guess you haven't played much games then... Im sorry but your comment is simply not true. Animations are indeed jerky and looks unpolished / non-fluid. Just because you find it "beautiful" doesn't mean it is like that. To me, and pretty much to everyone else who thinks that it needs a lot of work, it looks unfinished and the transitions between animations are just Bad. If I had to find a word to describe how I feel about it - it certainly wouldn't be "Natural", lol.

P.S. CDPR - Please get rid of those constant and never-ending spin moves... Do some more variations,

Last edited:
I guess you haven't played much games then... Im sorry but your comment is simply not true. Animations are indeed jerky and looks unpolished / non-fluid. Just because you find it "beautiful" doesn't mean it is like that. To me, and pretty much to everyone else who thinks that it needs a lot of work, it looks unfinished and the transitions between animations are just Bad. If I had to find a word to describe how I feel about it - it certainly wouldn't be "Natural", lol.

P.S. CDPR - Please get rid of those constant and never-ending spin moves... Do some more variations,

Only some transitions between animations are bad but the actual animations are just simply amazing, I swear just look at those animations, they are pretty fluid and natural looking, and every single hit that Geralt dishes out has so much weight to it. I really just cannot understand how people can look at this and think it looks bad.

Yee... after the first swing Geralt's sword is basically magnetized up
This looks fucking Awesome! This is the best damn Geralt/Combat/Animations I have ever seen to date, or in any rpg for that matter. The rest of his moves are still a mystery to us, and I can't fucking wait to unlock them learn/play them. This gameplay looks close to CGI, and I like it a lot! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot to admire in that GIF, especially Geralt's run/dodge backwards.100 times better than the roll. It resembles a real fight, you see stuff like that in MMA all the time. Where he's 'magnetized forward' I suspect is a missing frame in the animation sequence, ie; WIP.

Last edited:

Agreed. And I'll add the request (for the thousandth time, at the cost of being obnoxious and nitpicking) to implement the downwards thrust on grounded opponents.
By the way, if there isn't much time to polish the animations, at least fix the back dash one: it's stiff as hell.

Top Bottom