Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Some stuff I noticed in the PS4 video:

* There is another parry that looks bad just like one in the IGN video. "I think I can confirm" that we're stuck with it. It seems to happen when the parry is triggered very late, so there is no time to play out the actual parry animation, properly... just the end of it, which makes it look as if Geralt doesn't parry at all, takes the hit and kicks the guy.

* The random execution animations may happen when there are hostiles at range. This is very bad. The axe guy attacks Geralt, but the attack is ignored, because Geralt is performing a fancy and unnecessary execution. They should really save these only for when the coast is clear, like killing the last enemy, or killing a guy when there are only meleers around and they're all far from you.

Some stuff I noticed in the PS4 video:

* There is another parry that looks bad just like one in the IGN video. "I think I can confirm" that we're stuck with it. It seems to happen when the parry is triggered very late, so there is no time to play out the actual parry animation, properly... just the end of it, which makes it look as if Geralt doesn't parry at all, takes the hit and kicks the guy.

* The random execution animations may happen when there are hostiles at range. This is very bad. The axe guy attacks Geralt, but the attack is ignored, because Geralt is performing a fancy and unnecessary execution. They should really save these only for when the coast is clear, like killing the last enemy, or killing a guy when there are only meleers around and they're all far from you.

true, but at least they knew to make it do no damage.
i can live with that....

Final worries about "the witcher 3"?

Since there are so many hours of gameplay available and some of us watched a lot of that i am wondering if anyone else but me has some worries about things that dont look good about the game.

Here are mind:

1. Enemies seem to be tethered to their spawn point or something and they wont leave their designated scripted are. Why it bothers me so? because (a) it can be exploited. i've seen geralt snipe a bandit form afar with the crossbow and the bandits would approach him at all. Or drowners that chase geralt for 5 meters and then stop and turn back. and this thing also destroy the sense that these are minsters and this is an organic world since they behave like robots, dont roam around and can be exploited.

2. All of geralts attacks use the same animations regardless of what weapon you are using. There was only one video (the twitch stream) that showed geralt swinging an one handed AXE and he used the same animation of a 2 handed bastard sword. with two hands. it did not look good. small detail, though.

3. Humanoid dont roam the world like wolves do. they seem to only spawn in very specific locations (camps and such). it looks like combat against humans is amazing and really fun, but they seem really rare and only in scripted locations. i really hoped to see bandits happen outside of certain very specific locations.

What's your worries?

Since there are so many hours of gameplay available and some of us watched a lot of that i am wondering if anyone else but me has some worries about things that dont look good about the game.

Here are mind:

1. Enemies seem to be tethered to their spawn point or something and they wont leave their designated scripted are. Why it bothers me so? because (a) it can be exploited. i've seen geralt snipe a bandit form afar with the crossbow and the bandits would approach him at all. Or drowners that chase geralt for 5 meters and then stop and turn back. and this thing also destroy the sense that these are minsters and this is an organic world since they behave like robots, dont roam around and can be exploited.

2. All of geralts attacks use the same animations regardless of what weapon you are using. There was only one video (the twitch stream) that showed geralt swinging an one handed AXE and he used the same animation of a 2 handed bastard sword. with two hands. it did not look good. small detail, though.

3. Humanoid dont roam the world like wolves do. they seem to only spawn in very specific locations (camps and such). it looks like combat against humans is amazing and really fun, but they seem really rare and only in scripted locations. i really hoped to see bandits happen outside of certain very specific locations.

What's your worries?

I don't know why the thread has been maerged with "combat thread", because it is not strictly related.
anyway, I share the first and the third point.
In addition, my worries are about hitbox detection, alchemy system and quest markers.
And my disappoint is about the saddlebag, which is not an horse storage, but it simply increase the max capability in you inventory. I hope a mod will fix this.

And my disappoint is about the saddlebag, which is not an horse storage, but it simply increase the max capability in you inventory. I hope a mod will fix this.

I like that. It means that all the stuff that you carry in your inventory and that you couldn't realistically carry on yourself is actually on your horse. It's a nice compromise between video game convenience and realism. Having a realistic inventory like in TW1 and then having to constantly click on Roach to access the bigger items would be a pain.

Having a realistic inventory like in TW1 and then having to constantly click on Roach to access the bigger items would be a pain.

IMHO it would be better, because you have to manage your inventory. It will be like a normal, common extra storage in RPGs...but movable.

I like that. It means that all the stuff that you carry in your inventory and that you couldn't realistically carry on yourself is actually on your horse. It's a nice compromise between video game convenience and realism. Having a realistic inventory like in TW1 and then having to constantly click on Roach to access the bigger items would be a pain.
I agree. Poetic license much(?)

Hey Guys, Marcin Momo just confirmed on twitter that pirouette doge is still in the game, it's just harder to pull off. I wonder what button combination you need in order to do it.

Most likely it becomes available when certain skill are equipped. Just like what they showed in the twitch stream.
When you select certain sword skills the combat animations can change and also allow some additional moves.

What's your worries?

#1a - No it does not. Me and my girl were laughing as batshit crazy, watching as the AI soldier dodges one shot after another and german guy just gets more and more frustrated to the point, where he just starts shooting as if it was an assault rifle. You call this an exploit? o_O Standing 15 minutes in one place trying to snipe an anemy, that with ease dodges 80% of your shots, that btw. do minimal damage on a foe that is your level? It seems that in this case it's a PLAYER that breaks an immersion in game of those poor AI soldiers, that just want to do their duty and die quickly by Geralt's sword, not other way around ;D

#1b - drowners are creatures connected to water! They are not going to  chase him through fields scorched by sun and misty mointains! Especially if he's on horse! They'll never go far from any lake, 'cos it's their natural habitat. That would be REALLY supid for them to leave place where they feel secure. The same goes to most of the creatures - have You notied how Noonwraith was staying close to the well, place she was murdered? What? You were expecting her to chase Joe from Whire orchard to Skellige?

Now imagine what exploits would players come up with luring monsters on each other. Have you thought about that AT ALL? :) That way it not only feels very organic, very logical, but also prevents wiseguys from turning The Witcher into "stories of Geralt! Kozojed's apprentice! Lure the monsters! Stuff your sheep!

#2 - The only reason that player can equip any weapon other than swords at all is so ppl wouldn't cry "b..b...b... but mommy i wanna play with an ax!" and maybe give some starting point for modders. Geralt's signature weapon was always a sword - Geralt is not a lumberjack to prance around the forests with an axe, nor he's a pesant to use pitchfork or scythe, he's not an uderpaid guardsman to stumble upon his own halberd - he's a witcher - he uses swords. I really hope you're not being serious about lack of special animation for waving all of the worthless weapons that Geralt would never even touch? I realy hope....

#3 - If the world of the Witcher was the one where people just take their backpacs and go on a romantic stroll to nearby forest or a camping trip, there would be no need for witchers. There is a reason why ppl stick mostly to the roads and why they roads are heavily patrolled [at least by Nilfgaard]. We've also aready seen dozens of locations outside of main roads where we can fight humans. Deserters camps, some ruins, robbers camps, microquests [like the one with a boy luring Geralt into a trap]...

In world of the Witcher someone just taking a hike is someone with lack of self preservation instinct and food for the ghouls.

Last edited:
Cathulhu81 do you think we can lure any creature aside from scripted quest line, do you think we can lure them in village or town. It will be cool to see werewolves roaming streets off Novigrad. Is this confirmed by CD projekt red ?

Cathulhu81 do you think we can lure any creature aside from scripted quest line, do you think we can lure them in village or town. It will be cool to see werewolves roaming streets off Novigrad. Is this confirmed by CD projekt red ?

I won't find it now, but I've already seen on some video situation when two monsters started fighting, but it was a brief moment - wonderful YTbers instead of exploring mechanics were mostly running around aimlessly not paying attention to such "details", that actually matter for a lot ppl and say a lot about amount of work and thought put into this game. About luring into towns - it was already answered - i think in the last q&a with Damien Monnier. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35297-Developer-Spotlight-2-Damien-Monnier - if not, than it was 100% mentioned in some interview i've watched lately.

---------- Updated at 09:48 AM ----------

I've found it for You:

q: Can monsters attack cities/villages or they spawn and move around in the wilderness only? Can different monsters fight each other or fight bandits?

a: Monsters can get a bit too close but cities have guards to come and help out. We found out quickly that monsters could really mess things up around cities which are where you talk to people, get quests (mostly, you can of course do that in the wild) but the point is that it didn't work if you came back to hand in a quest and the village has been attacked by monsters - it feels cool but at the same time that means you cannot hand in that quest and you get no XP so that's super annoying. Guards will help keep things under a certain level of control. As for in the wild, everything goes.

This will be awesome, thank you :) . And the thing with youtubers is lake of imagination or maybe they lost themselves in such huge world.

Top Bottom