Combat in The Witcher 3

+
About random encounters,

Here's a wolf that ends up attacking a bandit in a group you were already engaged with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1HPulLdatI&t=2m18s

And here to the left I think those are drowners and wolves?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ony2r0QFs&t=14m26s

I also remember Miles saying how he was traveling randomly and saw a group of riders suddenly attacked by endregas crawling down from the trees, and he noped the hell away. I can't be bothered to find the link, but if you doubt my word, consider it my casus belli.

Not sure about luring monsters into cities. I doubt it. I'll be surprised if you can lure at all, beyond a small radius.

This will be awesome, thank you :) . And the thing with youtubers is lake of imagination or maybe they lost themselves in such huge world.

Half of them just wasn't invested in that title at all. It can also be heard in almost evey interview - the same questions over and over again, that anyone could find an answer for after 5 minutes on this forum. They just started playing as some castaways thrown into the beach of tropical island. It's OK - fresh experience, ppl that don't know the series will have some honest, not biased first impressions - very good marketing decision to invite them over.

Second half was maybe a too invested in that title and instead of taking cold shower before playing and aprroaching the game with a cool head, analysing it - looking for nuances, playing with mechanics, exploring what lies under the hood of that shiny, beutiful car - they just dived into the world as happy as children that were given a new toy and went into the world as Roach with blinders charging into combat. ;)

Latest Twitch stream was actually more informative than any other material i've watched. I've downloaded it and frame by frame watched it so i could read skills descriptions, that mostly were visible for split second. Fighting and skill system is DEEP. Lots of combinations. I'm already planning on maxing out Yrden - since it stops projectiles i won't need arrow deflection [one skill slot free], + gives bonuses [one/two - fight, maybe vitality - other skill slots free] + increased AoE seems far better than investing in 2-3 other skills to achieve the same effect stat's-wise and without slowing opponents [no need for Blizzard]. Yeah! I'm gonna heave TONS of fun with that game :D

Cathulhu81 now i wish they invited you, too bad :( . And i think it will prove better even for marketing to have someone that understand the game and know mechanics and features, than play it and show us what kind of crazy and cool stuff we can all do. We only see the cover off the book, nothing else.
Sry for bad english it is not mine native language ;)

Cathulhu81 now i wish they invited you, too bad :( . And i think it will prove better even for marketing to have someone that understand the game and know mechanics and features, than play it and show us what kind of crazy and cool stuff we can all do. We only see the cover off the book, nothing else.
Sry for bad english it is not mine native language ;)

Nope, it would be an awful idea. When You try to present new supercar to the public, you send one to Top Gear, not to some laboratory hidden 100 metres below the ice in Arctica. Besides i'm not YTbr and i've finished my game journalism career at the times of pentium 3.

grrrrr i've wanted to make a graphical skilltree representation from that last Twitch q&a, since i've got nothin' better to do sitting here and waiting for a call about new project or from new emplyer, but they've taken it down and i've alreadt deleted catche... awwww this sucks -.-'

* The random execution animations may happen when there are hostiles at range. This is very bad. The axe guy attacks Geralt, but the attack is ignored, because Geralt is performing a fancy and unnecessary execution. They should really save these only for when the coast is clear, like killing the last enemy, or killing a guy when there are only meleers around and they're all far from you.
I noticed this aswell. Is that a bug ? Because I remember CDPR stated several times that executions won't interrupt gameplay and will be played only for last enemy.

I noticed this aswell. Is that a bug ? Because I remember CDPR stated several times that executions won't interrupt gameplay and will be played only for last enemy.

It seems like the twitch wasn't archived or something since I'm not seeing it. However, during the Q+A they mentioned that you can't turn off finisher but you can turn off "automatic finishers".

Nope, it would be an awful idea. When You try to present new supercar to the public, you send one to Top Gear, not to some laboratory hidden 100 metres below the ice in Arctica. Besides i'm not YTbr and i've finished my game journalism career at the times of pentium 3.

grrrrr i've wanted to make a graphical skilltree representation from that last Twitch q&a, since i've got nothin' better to do sitting here and waiting for a call about new project or from new emplyer, but they've taken it down and i've alreadt deleted catche... awwww this sucks -.-'

You can use recuva if i understand you well, you delete it from your pc ? You can recover it with this https://www.piriform.com/recuva ;)

Did they remove the dynamic stances Geralt could do with the swords? Sometimes in old footage he would hold his sword up, far away, pointed back and down while circling an enemy.

I loved the enemies parry stance, btw. It's similar to Geralt's, but one-handed. And it seems that this enemy archetype can dodge, which is very tricky, since the result of the dodge is not as alerting as the effect of being parried/block... so the players tend to keep attacking and get whacked by their riposte.

Did they remove the dynamic stances Geralt could do with the swords? Sometimes in old footage he would hold his sword up, far away, pointed back and down while circling an enemy.

yeah, this simply how geralt looks if you hold the GUARD button. its really cool.

I loved the enemies parry stance, btw. It's similar to Geralt's, but one-handed. And it seems that this enemy archetype can dodge, which is very tricky, since the result of the dodge is not as alerting as the effect of being parried/block... so the players tend to keep attacking and get whacked by their riposte.

i love the human fighters in TW3. according to the videos, at least. in the twitch video they showed a lot of combat and you can see enemies dodge, parry and counter. they seem less predictable than enemies in most games where they have a very visible pattern (like in AC:U they would parry twice and get hit in the third attack you make. predictable) and they seem to sometimes parry, sometimes not, sometimes dodge, sometimes not, sometimes counter (push the player and cause a blurred screen) and sometimes not. i really hope im right and that their combat behavior is indeed random. i hate discovering the patterns of enemies. combat becomes predictable from that moment on. not that its always bad (AC:U or batman or S.O.M had really fun combat despite the pattern based AIs, but i prefer more free AIs like in skyrim or watch dogs, to a large extent)

Can any RED comment on this ?
Geralt doing finisher in middle of combat, meanwhile getting sliced with axe..
[video]https://youtu.be/k_dvkGwwny0?t=157[/video]
Is that a bug ? Can we turn off this kind of finisher ? If we do - will we still have slow mo finisher for last guy ?

Im kind of curious if we can use the block and dodge as a complete replacement for rolling?

Will that be an effective way to play, even on higher difficulties? I really like the idea of never rolling.

I think rolling will come in handy to get out of a bad spot when you're terribly flanked. It may also work for more desperate dodges where you need to cover a lot of distance. You may feel this need on relatively surprising attacks, such as when wraiths pop-up behind you... or you may need a big leap to dodge big monsters lunging at you.

But for dodging non-giants when you can clearly see the strike coming, I think stepping will be fine.

Im kind of curious if we can use the block and dodge as a complete replacement for rolling?

Will that be an effective way to play, even on higher difficulties? I really like the idea of never rolling.

It seems like you could avoid the roll for most enemies, but some of the larger ones have wide sweeping attacks or attack that do splash damage, so just a simple sidestep would not be sufficient and that is totally normal.

Can any RED comment on this ?
Geralt doing finisher in middle of combat, meanwhile getting sliced with axe..
[video]https://youtu.be/k_dvkGwwny0?t=157[/video]
Is that a bug ? Can we turn off this kind of finisher ? If we do - will we still have slow mo finisher for last guy ?

Hmm that's a bit unrealistic as it renders Geralt invincible while the finisher taking place(don't see his health bar drop when he got axed while doing finisher move on the other guy)...

Maybe a patch to address this after the game is released?

Top Bottom