Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Wasn't there a mention that those automatic finishers can be disabled? Then no video-sequence would start and Geralt wouldn't be invincible... but i don't know. Can someone clarify?

From a gameplay perspective being damaged while a finisher is playing is fucking annoying not to mention unfair as you have no way to counter it.

I too remember some RED saying you could turn them of so it should be fine.

I kinda started to dislike jumping-spinning-slash...expesially when Geralt starts doing it too close to enemy...also i got feeeling that melee is bit repetive/ But maybe its effect of me seing too much game(before plating) and not seeing new melee moves.

Yeah, the spinning moves are definitely overdone in my book, we shall see. About the finishers, I thought they're triggered only for the last enemy of a group, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Lol i was watching the conan review earlier.Nurgle, I laughed sooo hard...GREAT STUFF.

Last edited by a moderator:
This forum has reached a point where I can't tell if people are being serious anymore or just joking. :huh:

Just look at his post history. Not one post which isn't a complaint about the game. No idea why someone who obviously doesn't like the game keeps posting here. But to each his own I guess.

Just look at his post history. Not one post which isn't a complaint about the game. No idea why someone who obviously doesn't like the game keeps posting here. But to each his own I guess.

I happen to have learnt that some people are just critical over everything they experience/encounter, which in a way may look/sound negative to others, however, in actual fact it's the opposite.

Then again, it doesn't apply to every case of course...

From a gameplay perspective being damaged while a finisher is playing is fucking annoying not to mention unfair as you have no way to counter it.

Yeah, thats pretty much how it happens in most games. Perform a riposte in any Souls game or any combat finishers in Arkham/SoM and you are granted invincibility.

This reminds me when I was getting so annoyed watching Geralt do the cinematic finisher move on stunned enemy in the Witcher 2 only to get butchered right after and there was nothing I could do about it :wallbash:

I don't like it when you can just dodge back IMMEDIATELY after doing heavy hitting. Seems unrealistic and will be spammed and become annoying like rolling in TW2.

Hope they do something in the final version. I mean, it's called heavy for a reason.

I don't like it when you can just dodge back IMMEDIATELY after doing heavy hitting. Seems unrealistic and will be spammed and become annoying like rolling in TW2.

Hope they do something in the final version. I mean, it's called heavy for a reason.

Yeah, I'm on the fence on this one.

Of course, I despise rolling. So...silly? Dangerous in combat? I don't know. It's wrong to my eyes!

But, having just finished my Dark playthrough, Nurgle, I love rolling! Best armour in the game, as it turns out.

I've never been sure -how-parrying is supposed to use up Vigor and throwing your 200 lb+ body along the ground doesn't? Or why a roll is better than a quick back step or side step?

Yeah, I'm on the fence on this one.

Of course, I despise rolling. So...silly? Dangerous in combat? I don't know. It's wrong to my eyes!

But, having just finished my Dark playthrough, Nurgle, I love rolling! Best armour in the game, as it turns out.

I've never been sure -how-parrying is supposed to use up Vigor and throwing your 200 lb+ body along the ground doesn't? Or why a roll is better than a quick back step or side step?

Probably they should make it into game mechanics, i.e. use more vigor, so you can't dodge immediately after using all the vigor you have on heavy strike.

yes thast true, but thats why if you go with vulnerable finishers, you gotta give the player maximum control over them.

The only thing that makes something frustrating is related to control, normally we are used at games like this having automatic finishers that take more time for spectacle, so its natural that they would make you invencible, but it looks ridiculous of course.

IMO the best is to let others kill you while you perform a finisher, but give you total control of it, very simple, 0 frustration. The game also needs to make sure all finishers, if they happen randomly, take roughly the same amount of time, otherwise if you wanted the fast one but got chained to a long animation that was randomly chosen its frustration all over again.

And in an ideal world, finishers would actually have gameplay pros and cons, letting you kill an enemy faster maybe but making you defenseless.

Ok, I've seen some issues I would like to discuss.
About AI:
I've seen Drowners that, when you run away, they stop follow you and remain just...motionless, even if you came close to them for a meter. Enemies seems are stuck in a predefined combat field. And this is a bit of problem, because you can go out of the "battlefield", wait until enemies turn them back, and come back to hit them.

If you piss off the guards and die...you actually don't die, you wake up where you have been knocked down, with guards which are now friendly like before. And this happens even if you leave the battle and come back later. I honestly dislike this "gameplay" choice. If I piss off the guard, I should be punish. There's no sense at all in this choice.

If you leave the battle, enemies don't follow you...and you can even enter in meditation with the enemies near to you. I think that it is because now meditation is activated from menu, and it isn't a mode anymore.

I think, more than ever, that roll should consume vigor. It's a seriously balance issue, You actually can spam it and avoid to been hit.

I hope this will be fix with patches, but now I'm personally afraid for reviews. Most gaming site think that combat is the most important thing, and probably they will go heavy on this.

Last edited:
that roll should consume vigor

The roll does consume a small amount of vigor, just enough that Geralt can't cast a sign right away. So at least it can stop the roll + roll + roll + igni/quen play style. I can't speak for most other styles.

If you piss off the guards and die...you actually don't die, you wake up where you have been knocked down, with guards which are now friendly like before. And this happens even if you leave the battle and come back later. I honestly dislike this "gameplay" choice. If I piss off the guard, I should be punish. There's no sense at all in this choice.

To me that makes sense. Probably getting subjective here. I think that, given you can't kill innocent NPCs in this game, you can only threaten them, the guards don't really have much of a reason to kill you. I don't imagine that you'll be pissing of the guards much, either, unless you're stuffing around drawing your sword in daylight and killing chickens. At that point, realism isn't something I think applies. As for laving the aggro box for guards and coming back, I would be really annoyed if I accidentally aggroed some guards somehow and had to reload my save to get back into the adventure. I think since this isn't a sandbox game, you're not really a criminal and can't really become one -- it doesn't make sense to give the guards such power over where you can go, it doesn't make sense for them to follow you unless it's a part of a quest. I dunno, I hope this makes sense.

I've seen Drowners that, when you run away, they stop follow you and remain just...motionless, even if you came close to them for a meter. Enemies seems are stuck in a predefined combat field. And this is a bit of problem, because you can go out of the "battlefield", wait until enemies turn them back, and come back to hit them.

I imagine that's just a limitation to having a box for the drowner so that it doesn't follow you all over the map. It'd be nice if there was some dynamics, though, I agree.

As for meditation -- where did you see this? I would imagine that perhaps you can reach the meditation window but can't actually meditate would be what happens? Or have you seen someone meditate in battle?

Top Bottom