Combat in The Witcher 3

+
I think that options is in. There's this post of @Shavod 's from a few months ago that says you can:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/33354-Interviews-and-Articles-2015?p=1542435#post1542435

I hop that hasn't changed, or wasn't a mistake.

I remember reading that you can "break" away from your combat stance if you need to run away to fight another day, so I imagine you can just as well run towards a different enemy instead of out of battle. I don't know how fluid it is, but I'm pretty sure the option is there.

Yeah its true, I remember that info, thanks for bringing it back.

Its a matter of seeing it I guess, what I want. Now that im thinking, in the polish 35min demo, when Geralt fights the water hags there is a moment where he does a rolling stab attack, like the one from TW2. It doesnt cover a lot of distance but it looks "different", like its another type of move apart from the normal jumping and spinning ones, maybe thats it. And in the MS E3 gameplay the same attack is shown. That s very old footage however.

Too bad the youtubers didnt show the combat very well, and even in the live stream I dont recall seeing a long range attack.

I can't wait to try it myself!

@Solid_Altair hmm wait, what batman game are we talking about? I played the first two, so not origins.

Last edited:
Xbox One stuff is live. It shows some good combat.

Anyone noticed a pattern between parries and counters (the riposte thingy with the kick or should bash)? I'm guessing the normal parries give you an opening to strike back, but still allow the enemy to defend, whereas the counter gives you a guaranteed hit on a fast attack. Did anyone see an enemy defending a fast attack right after being parried, or right after being countered? To me this is huge deal for the build I have in mind. And I also wonder if a counter can guarantee a strong attack. That... along with the parries not guaranteeing anything (as I suspect) would totally make Counter a worthy ability along with a strong attack build.

Sadly, I've not thought of this earlier, so I haven't looked for a pattern on most of the combat videos I've seen. What I remember seeing recently is enemies being hit both after being parried and after being countered. Anyone remember seeing something different, enemies defending after one of these things?
______

On another subject... is anyone worried about Alternate Quen level 3? It says it doesn't cost stamina at all and let you recover health when you're hit. So, I wonder if there is some sort of limit to its duration, amount of hits it can take or amount of damage it can take. If there isn't, then a cautious player using it will probably only die if get 1shotted suddenly,kinda like what can kill you in Skyrim.

One question...

In a lot of the new footage we see Geralt making standard sword attacks, followed by a twirl and so on. Not an awful lot of variety. Will we be unlocking more moves later on?

One question...

In a lot of the new footage we see Geralt making standard sword attacks, followed by a twirl and so on. Not an awful lot of variety. Will we be unlocking more moves later on?

by a twirl?
hum...you mean...like this:
[video=youtube;b1y-CCqeRiQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1y-CCqeRiQ[/video]

:D

actually yes,I think these moves are low level moves,there should be more combat animations when you unlock them...
(and you are right,he is always making a spinning attack after one precise attack)

Sorry if I'm late to the party and this has been demonstrated/answered already, but do we have two categories of dodging now? Steps and full rolls (which consume vigor)? If yes, that's really cool. How do you make a roll instead of a step for example? Double tap/click?

Sorry if I'm late to the party and this has been demonstrated/answered already, but do we have two categories of dodging now? Steps and full rolls (which consume vigor)? If yes, that's really cool. How do you make a roll instead of a step for example? Double tap/click?
You hit A to sidestep and B to roll(or it could be other way around). On PC it's Alt to sidestep and Space to roll. And if I remember correctly, they both don't actually consume vigor, but they slow down vigor regen to varying degrees.

You hit A to sidestep and B to roll(or it could be other way around). On PC it's Alt to sidestep and Space to roll. And if I remember correctly, they both don't actually consume vigor, but they slow down vigor regen to varying degrees.

The Dodge doesnt appear to hinder vigor regen at all. The roll will halt vigor regen and if you use consecutively you do begin to lose a little bit vigor.

The Dodge doesnt appear to hinder vigor regen at all. The roll will halt vigor regen and if you use consecutively you do begin to lose a little bit vigor.
Then I guess the drawback of dodge is it won't stop all attacks as you seem to still be very near to the enemy. I can see enemies like Griffin pulverize you if you try to dodge it's attacks.

What I've really liked in The Witcher 3 combat so far is that even some low level enemies like drowners (and apparently all the other enemies too) is that they don't seem to stagger forever after you land your first hit. You would have a guaranteed win with most mobs in the previous game if you landed the first blow, seeing as they would never fight back. Now Aard seems to have a more clear role. At 12:51 of this video you can see a drowner dodging instantly after being hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R0Ji39E68

Ok, I've seen some issues I would like to discuss.
If you piss off the guards and die...you actually don't die, you wake up where you have been knocked down, with guards which are now friendly like before. And this happens even if you leave the battle and come back later. I honestly dislike this "gameplay" choice. If I piss off the guard, I should be punish. There's no sense at all in this choice..

I think they take a percentage of your money as punishment. A fine.

One question...

Yep, more animations unlock as you level. Even the pirouette dodge unlocks later on, IIRC. I also believe you need to focus on swordsmanship for that, and it's not just a "reach level X, unlock Y animation" thing.

Question, will there be more finishers, there have been like 5 shown I think. And they all look great so it's good.
Wondering about this too. They're cool, but repetitive. I believe there are more later on. I hope.

Then I guess the drawback of dodge is it won't stop all attacks as you seem to still be very near to the enemy. I can see enemies like Griffin pulverize you if you try to dodge it's attacks.
Rolling doesn't make you immune, either. In Angry Joe's video, when Other Joe was fighting the Noonwraith, her killing stroke was done while he was rolling.

Rolling doesn't make you immune, either. In Angry Joe's video, when Other Joe was fighting the Noonwraith, her killing stroke was done while he was rolling.
I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I wanted to say was that because roll covers a lot more distance, some attacks that are unavoidable by dodging can be avoided by rolling with the right timing.

Yep, more animations unlock as you level. Even the pirouette dodge unlocks later on, IIRC. I also believe you need to focus on swordsmanship for that, and it's not just a "reach level X, unlock Y animation" thing.

Wondering about this too. They're cool, but repetitive. I believe there are more later on. I hope.

Awesome!!!!! Thanks for letting me know man.

sorry i am not going to read through 156 pages to find an answer but i heard the combat compared to both the dark souls series and the arkham series, both series have amazing combat but how does that work? i am sure they can find a way to make it work

sorry i am not going to read through 156 pages to find an answer but i heard the combat compared to both the dark souls series and the arkham series, both series have amazing combat but how does that work? i am sure they can find a way to make it work

I think the best way is to watch a gameplay video to see the difference. Unlike Batman or Shadow of Mordor, Wicther doesn't use the Freeflow system. So here's a main difference. As for Souls series, I think the main reason why these games were mentioned is the difficulty comparison. Unlike TW2 aka Roll spam FTW, combat in TW3 seems to be much more tactical and thus difficult. In order to survive, you need to really use everything you've got, not just pick a cookie cutter build, with certain abilities boosted to OP levels and brute force your way through spamming these abilities (again, Quen sign + roll in TW2)

I think the best way is to watch a gameplay video to see the difference. Unlike Batman or Shadow of Mordor, Wicther doesn't use the Freeflow system. So here's a main difference. As for Souls series, I think the main reason why these games were mentioned is the difficulty comparison. Unlike TW2 aka Roll spam FTW, combat in TW3 seems to be much more tactical and thus difficult. In order to survive, you need to really use everything you've got, not just pick a cookie cutter build, with certain abilities boosted to OP levels and brute force your way through spamming these abilities (again, Quen sign + roll in TW2)
thank you very much for the reply, as long as the combat is equal to the witcher 2(and it looks superior) then i will be happy

Top Bottom