Combat in The Witcher 3

+
I came to the conclusion the combat is worse than in TW2, for several reasons:
- enemies rarely attack
- blocking is absolutely useless (doesn't work against monster + it's so much easier just to dodge)
- enemies don't retaliate after a continuously attacking them
- strong attack is useless. fast attack has better speed, not -so-much worse damage and you can stagger-lock enemies
- Yrden is only useful against enemies which cannot be hit otherwise
- attack animations (fast attacks) aren't consistent in their speed
- Aard only affect enemies only after it visually hit them
- you can basically spam dodges
- the adrenaline thing makes it feel like Batman Arkham City

I don't know about you, but I almost never use it and I feel RS could be used for something better.
What do you think?
I use it a lot fighting single targets and I love it too.
I just don't used it while dealing with groups, as that's clearly NOT what was designed for.

Gaaaahhh some consistancy would be nice

Darn combat is a pia at times.

Sometimes you can use signs, others not.
Sometimes you can eat food, others not.
Sometimes you can drink potions, others not.

It's annoying as all hell trying to work out what the heck we can and can't do, and invariably by the time you have worked out what's allowed, you're dead.

What on earth is with all the different rules for the fights? Is there some logic I haven't seen or are they just thrown together and see what comes out in the wash?

Strange I never have that inconsistency issues you described and I've done 2 playthroughs and in the midst on my 3rd now. Not sure what your real problems are...

What tpes of combat are you talking about? Can you give us the name of the quest this happened on so we can test is and see if we encountered the same issue. Cuz I have heard people saying I can't eat food before in combat but i have been able to eat food since day 1 and I play on DM so its not a difficulty difference.

As far as I know, in the vast majority of fistfights you can't use potions, food, or signs. Anything else should allow any of those unless you have a bug.

Darn combat is a pia at times.

Sometimes you can use signs, others not.
Sometimes you can eat food, others not.
Sometimes you can drink potions, others not.

It's annoying as all hell trying to work out what the heck we can and can't do, and invariably by the time you have worked out what's allowed, you're dead.

What on earth is with all the different rules for the fights? Is there some logic I haven't seen or are they just thrown together and see what comes out in the wash?

fist fights: no potions or food or signs
standard combat: anything goes (even the few times there are characters you dont want to kill etc practice fights etc)

give us a specific fight and we might be able to offer better advice; but if you cant use signs or potions in a normal scrap with some drowners then something is wrong!

...Except for fist fights I can't think of a time where I couldn't use food or signs?

Dimeritium Bombs will make you unable to use signs. Think Moon Dust bomb had similar effect when i was fighting a Werewolf, which might have been a bug.

Never heard of the potion bug tho.

Also, you can't do any of those if you're staggered, but that should be obvious.
Haven't had any problems myself either.

Actually, I recall some fistfights where I could use signs -- or at least, I could use Quen. The one where you fix all the statues for the gods in Velen comes to mind. I suppose I could have used potions and other items in that fight too.

But I didn't know that I could use those things until I tried to.

Guys, It is not possible to jump in fights, right?

Somebody stated, it is possible, but I cannot find any info on that matter, and I cannot perform a normal straight jump (like when you are out fight) while fighting enemies. If I bind jump to a completely separate key and press it in fight, nothing happens.

Or am I just completely oblivious and missing something?

Last edited:
Use Shift + Jump (space bar).

*edit* : Sorry, not working, I just tried it lol. I only read someone mentioned it the other day and just remembered when seeing your post. Thought it would work.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried it also, that guy guy who stated this clearly mixed up something.

I really hope this is moddable, it bothers me alot.

My doubts about the skill tree in swordmaster and progression from geralt
Originally Posted by Euskalduna View Post
Hi people, then is true while you go development the character , geralt has/got or do new animations ?? I wonder , where are the 96 animations for the combat?? I am 15 level.
Please anyone can answer me, and I dont say anything about the skill tree abilities for unlock , just geralt make more animations for the combat while I am improving to the character, like Damien monnier said.

Repeat , I don't talk about special attacks from the swordmaster tree.

Can someone please explain in greater detail how to perform a jump while fighting enemies?

I reset my controls, held shift and pressed spacebar. Geralt performs a combat roll, regardless of whether I hold shift or not. I tried every possible combination, I am still unaware of how to perform a Jump in the middle of a fight.

Shift + spacebar during a fight just made my Geralt perform a common roll. Several tries (with a lot of incoming damage as a result) with zero success. :(

Top Bottom