Combat system back off ?

+
Hi everyone !
I just read many previews and some journalists acclaimed the role-playing system but noticed a back off in the combat system... it seems the combat system is more static and less dynamic than the last year demo... it's a pity because the CS was veeeery good for an rpg last year, and it was right for a cyberpunk world i guess. Please tell me you're gonna to bring back the old dynamic combat system :sad::sad:

In what way do you estimate the combat system to have grown less dynamic? I'm curious to know your perspective so we can discuss it better.

I've trouble telling the difference from what was shown compared with the latest previews.

Like, is there less movement? Are you worried they've added a Fallout Style Vats? Is it the mention of combat skills?
What would you consider "dynamic"?

Yeah, I've heard that combat animations have done a serious step back compared to the old demo, like those were "target" and what we have now is "reality". Some animations were defined "almost unacceptable" compared to today's gaming. :shrug:

In what way do you estimate the combat system to have grown less dynamic? I'm curious to know your perspective so we can discuss it better.

I've trouble telling the difference from what was shown compared with the latest previews.

Like, is there less movement? Are you worried they've added a Fallout Style Vats? Is it the mention of combat skills?
What would you consider "dynamic"?

i think the CS of last year demo was the perfect match between the dynamic and fast CS of Doom and the more strategic and static CS of Deus Ex MD... i accept that the melee combat it could be approximate, but the gunplay it's too important to me at this stage ( it wasn't at all in TW3), it could be the last step for consecration of CDPR ... But i've only read some preview, i hope the game will improve until April :)
Post automatically merged:

I can't give a shit about animations. People are so tangled up on superficialities these days.
just saying the last year combat system was perfect to me :) i hope it won't do step back, just it ;)

i think the CS of last year demo was the perfect match between the dynamic and fast CS of Doom and the more strategic and static CS of Deus Ex MD... i accept that the melee combat it could be approximate, but the gunplay it's too important to me at this stage

Ah, I understand your sentiments now.

I've nothing insightful to add, but will say that I'm a "thinking man" myself, so I prefer the strategic and static. I'm no good at clicking the right spots. :D

Last edited:
They did say the game's changed quite a bit since last year. Hopefully that doesn't mean a step backwards. I'm sure the world, characters, story etc are top notch. But the initial concerns towards 2077 were the decision to go FPS. If this is true, that'd more or less justify those concerns.

Last edited:

Guest 4211861

First off, it sounds like fake news.

Second, I don't want a re-do of DX:MD, the combat needs to be more fluid than that, I don't want to play a stick figure.

The combat from last year with the soviet gang was fluid enough for me.

Yeah there has been a lot of journalist crapping on the new 50min for some reason for the most dumbest things. Like a preview from Rock Paper Shotgun were hinting at the game possibly being racist, because how the Voodoo boys were being portrayed. here's the article. This is why I don't like modern day game's journalist, and prefer my gaming news from youtubers instead.

I don't see how that would be even possible. I mean, the combat system was there, in place, it was being played LIVE. It's not really a thing that gets worse during development is it? In the demo last year the build played was a fast solo. Double jumps, sliding, sick tricks, etc. Think DOOM, Apex, etc. Apparently this year it was a netrunner (so not much shooting at all) and a heavy tank. It would make sense for combat to look a bit heavier, less dynamic.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the combat is meaty and responsive, any build can be fun to play (but not necessarily fun to watch).

There was nothing on smart guns this time around, so perhaps they're still on the deck for something actually interesting mechanicswise. Might be futile hopefulness, but... that's still there.

Yeah there has been a lot of journalist crapping on the new 50min for some reason for the most dumbest things. Like a preview from Rock Paper Shotgun were hinting at the game possibly being racist, because how the Voodoo boys were being portrayed. here's the article. This is why I don't like modern day game's journalist, and prefer my gaming news from youtubers instead.

Complaining seems to be that guy's schtick. Not an article I would care about.

Except for the report about bullets lacking impact. That I would personally believe.

The only thing I read is that gunplay and melee combat looks kind of dull and not as fun as in a first person shooter. But it's an RPG so it's understandable that it will not be as fun and rewarding as Doom. I just hope it's better than Bethesda's Fallout, where the gunplay is really crappy and SVAV is mandatory.

I would turn the issue into a question of making it better than Bethesda (which shouldn't be hard) in what way? As a better shooter, or as a better RPG? Because Bethesda's aim is always at the dead center where combat is shit from a shooter perspective, and combat is also shit from an RPG perspective.

Top Bottom