Combat System is the worst of any game I've played

+
Combat System is the worst of any game I've played

Your attack animation is miles slower than the enemy attack animation. And just pray to GOD that your attack interrupts the enemy's, because you'll be sure as dead on high difficulties.

Oh you want to quick attack? Lemme take my time, do a nice slow 360, then swing my sword.

Strong attacks are even worse. Takes a whole 2 seconds to land a blow!

What?!

you clearly haven't played dark souls, anyway, you noeed to observe the enemy, its speed, movements, read bestiary to know what potions, oils , signs to use, dodge, drink potion to move faster, blizzard i think, keep practicing ;)

I agree that you can often be "beaten to the punch" by quicker enemies during the wind up of Geralt's fast attack. Simplest solution is to wait for them to attack first then counter or dodge and attack during their recovery.

because you'll be sure as dead on high difficulties.

what? i just did a BNBB plathru, without skill points, mutagens, glyphs/runes, oils, potions, bombs, etc... only yrden/quen, cat/food... with a L1 sword up to L15, and L15 sword up to L30 :\ doing the same in DM now, already in velen. no joke (i also avoided most of those bugs hehe).

but the combat system does have bugs, mainly with dodging, and modified strong attack not working as intended.

protip: dont lock on target. can be a bit finicky sometimes, but better than that useless feature.

also, to correct you, geralt's fast attack is faster than most enemies.

Last edited:
but the combat system does have bugs, mainly with dodging, and modified strong attack not working as intended.

If i may suggest remap your keybinding make right click as your strong attack, i remapped the sprint and gallop to q, if i want to run to an enemy i press q in order to run to it, use directional key double tap to evade.

Last edited:
The combat in this game is superb, you're just really bad at it. I've beaten the game twice on Death March (250+ hours combined) without any problems related to the combat system.

Your attack animation is miles slower than the enemy attack animation. And just pray to GOD that your attack interrupts the enemy's, because you'll be sure as dead on high difficulties.

Oh you want to quick attack? Lemme take my time, do a nice slow 360, then swing my sword.

Strong attacks are even worse. Takes a whole 2 seconds to land a blow!

What?!

It's all about timing man... ???

If you want to avoid the "360" before fast attack, just get closer to your foe before hitting the fast attack button. Then Geralt won't have to make an extra move to come closer and be able to hit. About strong attacks, I think it's actually well balanced. Strong attacks make a lot of damage and are supposed to take more time. It's perfectly logical... Or we would just spam the strong attack button. Timing is again the key to success.

Yes, the combat system has some flaws (Geralt changes target too easily!) and bugs (dogging, mutagens have to be "reset" after each save), but I find it perfectly enjoyable. Not too complicated, not too mainstream. And the animations are badass!

The combat in this is fine, not amazing, not bad, just fine. Once you learn timings you will stomp everything without even trying. If anything I want improved A.I with less forgiving enemies, who time there attacks better, punish you for reckless swinging your swords around and chase you when you run.

Last edited:
I have to agree somewhat. Its like a combination of the Batman combat system but doesnt work that great because it doesnt follow through on what that does. Going against several enemies like Drowners or Wolves can be extremely difficult because they all attack fast and each separately so you have multiple attacks coming at you constantly from all sides. There's no sequence or order to their attacks, which is what Batman does, it can make it extremely difficult. The moves in this sometimes lack precision you can lose your orientation and as has been said the speed of attacks and the cancelling out of them make it feel finicky sometimes.

Last edited:
If i may suggest remap your keybinding make right click as your strong attack, i remapped the sprint and gallop to q, if i want to run to an enemy i press q in order to run to it, use directional key double tap to evade.

have a separate dodge key. plus, strong attack is bugged on keyboard, period... it doesn't work half the time. follow the link in my sig... don't need binding help, but thanks ;o

One post deleted.

Keep it civil please. That goes for everyone else too. And as this isn't a technical support issue, I'm moving it to the main forum.

Combat is great overall but he has a point.
Once I was attacking 2 bandits at the same time, I hit one and the other was very close but behind me. When I attacked the one that was right behind me(fast attack) Geralt began to spin for some reason.
The result was:
Me, a witcher attacked first, scum bandit lv4 attacked a bit after me.
Bandit hits first becaus he doesn't spin to attack enemies that are right next to him.

The point is, bandits are faster than geralt in more occasions than it's acceptable.

The combat is just what it is. CDPR failed to do any big improvements over TW2. It is 1000 times better than something like Skyrim, while it's 1000times worse than something like Dark Souls. There are some very severe issues:
1) Targeting system, Nough said. Geralt sometimes chooses to try to charge a monster somewhere in Australia, while there is a drowner right on his face.
2) No control over attack animations. See how dark souls have over 10 different attack animations where you actually choose which one you want to use by pressing the right combination of buttons? Well here you only press 1 button and you have no control on what animation it will play out. I really love a quick thrust attack Geralt does sometimes, usually after dodging. Now if i could do that manually when i wanted, i would be glad. But it is what it is. Exactly the same as TW2.
3) The hitboxes are a mess.
4) The general ovement is rediculously unresponsive. It's somewhat better in combat, but still.
5) Quen is OP as fuck. AGAIN.

I got no problem with combat. Looks like you just suck at it. Look how I beat this boss.

Auto targeting is for babies. Hit boxes? You just need to time your dodges. Watch this video below.

This Video is a Spoiler if you haven't finished the game yet.

There was even a time when I dodged an incoming arrow and it hit another bandit which was instantly killed. Awesome, sad I was not able to capture it.

Maybe you should return your game and go back to Dark Souls.

Last edited:
have a separate dodge key. plus, strong attack is bugged on keyboard, period... it doesn't work half the time. follow the link in my sig... don't need binding help, but thanks ;o

Strong attack has not failed once for me, just using the default keys. Played some 300 hours or so I'd believe and imo the combat system is pretty good. If they'd adjust the enemy attack lock (without locking which I don't use) it'd be pretty close to perfect for me.

Once I figured out that you will attack whoever you are directly facing (Geralt, not you behind your screen) it became a lot easier to manage, and while I very occasionally will attack thin air or something stupid I now know why it happens, even if I'm a little peeved about it. But to me its worth the camera control hassle because I enjoy fighting in the game and it makes sense the way its set up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom