Combat System is the worst of any game I've played

+
Interesting arguments... Bleh, no problem with the attack animations here, not sure what you are on about really, the slowness of Geralt never stops you from reacting in time, it's a question of getting used to it. If you did the game once you should be used to the speed of the game already, I have no problem when it comes to dodging or blocking and can perform then in time so that the enemy doesn't hit me.

When I read "just pray to GOD that your attack interrupts the enemy's" it feels like you are just spamming the attack button which is the contrary of what you should do, there is no RNG involved, just timing, restraining yourself from attacking too much is a key...

try this: stand in one spot. hold the attack modifier key. press attack. keep pressing it. eventually it will break. dbl-click works sometimes, etc... anyways, post is here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ck-is-bugged-by-default?p=1771308#post1771308

once you realize this standing still, you will notice it in combat.

in any case, strong attack only works when you RELEASE the attack button. :\ bcs of the way it is bound in the configs. if you hold it, and the modifier key, no attack is performed either.

speaking of the PC version of course, bcs keyboard/mouse controls dont use the same light/heavy attack binds as gamepad does. it's done thru a 'modifier' key.

Last edited:
If you're too slow to dodge you can use blizzard. That is why it was made for Witchers. Because sometime's you ain't seeing in coming.

Here, I need no blizzard. :)

Last edited:
It's not as good as some people say it is, on the other side it's also not that bad. Personally I find Geralts fighting style itself weak (who would ever expsoe himself so often? in a real fight he would not stand a chance to a simple soldier) however at least it tries to be skill based and apart from some edges things go well. RED are not From Software but they did an OK job. The bigger problem is the rather boring sigil play in my opinion.

here is that huge thread on the dodge mechanic testing:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/41586-broken-skill?p=1736737&viewfull=1#post1736737

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/41586-broken-skill?p=1740352&viewfull=1#post1740352

both posts in the same thread.

if you can read, follow and understand all that, congratulations.

and inb4; modified strong attack is broken for pc (keyboard/mouse).

and nonsensical targeting mechanic (without lock-on), determined by camera angle/distance to opponents instead of the direction geralt is facing (same as direction you last pressed on kb/gampad).

Last edited:
IMHO because this is a RPG with an action-oriented combat and not an action game, the combat system , while perfectible, is a good one.

Target selection has been demonstrated fairly convincingly to be driven by the direction keys and attack. If you are backing up you will attack behind you etc.

Might not be exactly what you had in mind, but it is consistent. In the absence of movement it tends to attack the one nearest the centre of view, but this can sometimes be the one nearest the camera fulcrum if very close.

Far less risk using dodges to position outside the enemy group and attack the edges, though whirl with a strong Quen can be great fun just piling into the middle (for short spells, then rolling away and repositioning).

If you don't like strong attack modifier, don't use it. I have no attack modifier key bound and use LMB/RMB for fast/slow attack and Left Shift for parry. Don't use strong attacks very often (usually only in fist fights and when facing shielded/parry-happy opponents), but don't like modified keystrokes for things I need to do in a hurry and accurately. Played a ton of flight simulators with upwards of 100 keys/combinations bound so have no issue with modified keystrokes, but the "core" ones should be on basic, flat keys. On PC, there is no excuse for moaning about the keyboard/mouse control layout (beyond the minor issues with some rebinding options) as you have nearly complete control over what your control configuration is.

I dunno. I kind of like it better than Pac Man.

DAMN YOU GHOSTS.

I've done in 5 gaurds level 37, when I was 23, with skill and timing and awareness.

Died to Bandits 10 levels below me when I failed on all those.

Really like the system.

Too hard for you? Check a build guide and see how crazy OP you can get. Too easy? Try never to die - just like the "real" witchers.

Target selection has been demonstrated fairly convincingly to be driven by the direction keys and attack. If you are backing up you will attack behind you etc.

Might not be exactly what you had in mind, but it is consistent. In the absence of movement it tends to attack the one nearest the centre of view, but this can sometimes be the one nearest the camera fulcrum if very close.

yea, that's the bug.

when you stop pressing the direction keys, it should attack in the direction the character model is facing, which will be the same as the last direction you pressed.

otherwise it leads to completely nonsensical and unpredictable behavior.

ie: you're attacking some target and pressing forward, but don't want to keep moving forward, you release forward, and it'll randomly attack someone else... even the guy behind you if he is closer (or some other condition, i dont really care to fix peoples problems for them).

but even in cases where i'm holding the direction keys i've noticed it doesnt always attack the correct target, and i don't mean the dude next to him, i mean a difference of 90 degrees or more, which has absolutely nothing to do with the camera.

f you don't like strong attack modifier, don't use it.

that's possible, but in case you haven't noticed, 3 issues: A. it is a default binding. B. it requires 1 extra key. C. sounds like an excuse for a broken game mechanic.

Last edited:
Your attack animation is miles slower than the enemy attack animation. And just pray to GOD that your attack interrupts the enemy's, because you'll be sure as dead on high difficulties.

Oh you want to quick attack? Lemme take my time, do a nice slow 360, then swing my sword.

Strong attacks are even worse. Takes a whole 2 seconds to land a blow!

What?!

Note: I play on PS4 with Patch: 1.07

Sometimes I love the combat in TW3 but other times I freekin hate it.

When Geralt is fighting multiple enemies, the game locks him to a specific target that Geralt doesn't even choose. I can't move Geralt backward at times and the game totally ruins the targeting.

As an example: Last night Geralt was fighting a bunch of enemies in "Get Junior", Geralt was fighting two guys at once but then all of the sudden the game made me fight a bunch of other enemies that I didn't want to engage in. I'm like WTF?
I wish the game would stop forcing the player to go into a direction that the player doesn't want to go, give us a system that doesn't constrain the players combat movements...

It's not as good as some people say it is, on the other side it's also not that bad. Personally I find Geralts fighting style itself weak (who would ever expsoe himself so often? in a real fight he would not stand a chance to a simple soldier) however at least it tries to be skill based and apart from some edges things go well. RED are not From Software but they did an OK job. The bigger problem is the rather boring sigil play in my opinion.

Because this is the witcher combat style. Increase the power of the attack with rotations a pirouttes, which they can do because are faster and more reactive than humans.

Note: I play on PS4 with Patch: 1.07

Sometimes I love the combat in TW3 but other times I freekin hate it.

When Geralt is fighting multiple enemies, the game locks him to a specific target that Geralt doesn't even choose. I can't move Geralt backward at times and the game totally ruins the targeting.

As an example: Last night Geralt was fighting a bunch of enemies in "Get Junior", Geralt was fighting two guys at once but then all of the sudden the game made me fight a bunch of other enemies that I didn't want to engage in. I'm like WTF?
I wish the game would stop forcing the player to go into a direction that the player doesn't want to go, give us a system that doesn't constrain the players combat movements...
No need for clunky hard lock, if you press WSAD in the direction you want to attack for each swing you will have full control over whom Geralt fights.

Your attack animation is miles slower than the enemy attack animation. And just pray to GOD that your attack interrupts the enemy's, because you'll be sure as dead on high difficulties.

Oh you want to quick attack? Lemme take my time, do a nice slow 360, then swing my sword.

Strong attacks are even worse. Takes a whole 2 seconds to land a blow!

What?!

1. Strong-Attks should be inherently SLOWER than Quick-Attks. After all, they do twice as much dmg.

- Secondly, Strong-Attks are fast if you properly mix-fast with strong-attks in succession.

In fact, his strong-attk should be slower, as it is now, its just as fast as some of his norm quick-attks

A whole (2) secs for Strong-Attk execution is bollucks.

Seriously, learn to play.

It literally took one full playthrough for me to become proficient at the combat system. Now I'm absolutely loving it, alternating between strong, fast, block, riposte, dodge, roll, signs, bombs, and being able to switch targets at will. I actually like the system as much as Dark Souls, and it is much more fun than Skyrim's. I understand being pissed off when you first start, though. Some of the bosses force you to learn all the different moves.

The swordplay has a lot of work to do, its plain and simple, all you guys who have found a way to deal with it have in all honesty just found ways to minimize the flaws in the swordplay.

Biggest issue is the fact that quick strikes in this game are complete and utter bullsh... who at CD red could have possibly thought it's a good idea to make 80% of Geralts quick strikes spinning 360 degree sword swings ??!!

In the other 20% which are rare times I actually end up doing a stab or a quick simple slash I want to jump for joy it feels so right..

There's nobody in this thread or anywhere that can explain or excuse the lack of common sense in regards to quick strikes, they are just flat out WRONG, and if you think otherwise so are you

In a perfect system that I don't think would have been hard to implement they could have made swordplay customisable, for example they could give you 50 sword swing animations and let you choose which ones you like best and assign them.. maybe unlocking bigger and better ones as you progress, I saw this system in Kingdoms of Amalur if any of you guys have played it you would have seen a great combat system that Witcher 3 could have borrowed from

Last edited:
The swordplay has a lot of work to do, its plain and simple, all you guys who have found a way to deal with it have in all honesty just found ways to minimize the flaws in the swordplay.

Biggest issue is the fact that quick strikes in this game are complete and utter bullsh... who at CD red could have possibly thought it's a good idea to make 80% of Geralts quick strikes spinning 360 degree sword swings ??!!

In the other 20% which are rare times I actually end up doing a stab or a quick simple slash I want to jump for joy it feels so right..

There's nobody in this thread or anywhere that can explain or excuse the lack of common sense in regards to quick strikes, they are just flat out WRONG, and if you think otherwise so are you

The reason for the whirling animations is that the Witcher game is based on source material in which Geralt's fighting style is described, in great detail, as involving a lot of pirouettes and circular motions.

Quite frankly, the game is not difficult and the combat is not bad. I have played games with terrible combat and this is absolutely not one of them.

Adapt and overcome, gamer.

The rest of us did.

I second this games combat to DKS, which is of course the king of combat games.

The only thing I really hate about Witcher 3 combat is that once engaged, a bump in the terrain or a log can become an insurmountable obstacle for Gerald.

Top Bottom