Combat system

+
btw...while i don't know what's in dev's mind and assuming there will be third person melee combat, it might be nice to get rid of some trends like qtes, self performing takedowns, pausing menus and leave nothing but plain fun. This is basically why i love Overgrowth (no promo)

just a thought

Third person view.

Melee combat with complexity of Dark Souls/Witcher 2 and fluidity and overall slickness of Batman games

Range combat - the last decent third person shooter I played was unfortunately Gears of War, so I can't say what's cool recently

I second this opinion. I really agree with the part about "slick combat" as seen in the Batman game. I think hand-to-hand in Sleeping Dogs and Batman was superb.

Also, I thought Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 did ranged combat really well.

As for shooter elements, Metro 2033, Bioshock series, and FC series could be used as inspiration for intensity or nonlinear options for objective completion.

The most important thing is that each role should have its unique skills and limitations so that the same combat scenarios become different depending on what role you're playing.

I second this opinion. I really agree with the part about "slick combat" as seen in the Batman game. I think hand-to-hand in Sleeping Dogs and Batman was superb.

Also, I thought Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 did ranged combat really well.

As for shooter elements, Metro 2033, Bioshock series, and FC series could be used as inspiration for intensity or nonlinear options for objective completion.

The most important thing is that each role should have its unique skills and limitations so that the same combat scenarios become different depending on what role you're playing.

When it comes to ranged combat in third-person perspective I found the perfect game lately and it is Max Payne 3. The best TPP ranged combat system ever created IMO. Slick, responsive, fun with lot of options. And it amazed me how accurate aiming in TPP can be, in MP3 you're able to pull headshots almost as in FPS games.

When it comes to ranged combat in third-person perspective I found the perfect game lately and it is Max Payne 3. The best TPP ranged combat system ever created IMO. Slick, responsive, fun with lot of options. And it amazed me how accurate aiming in TPP can be, in MP3 you're able to pull headshots almost as in FPS games.

Yeah Rockstar did a good job with Max Payne 3

Melee Combat: Metal Gear Rising-Batman AC-Witcher 2.
Shooter: Max Payne without a shoot-coverer system. Something more like a free flow shooter with pirouettes and some fast moves instead of covering like the first 2 Max Payne games.

It was pretty good. I especially liked reversals.

Be better in First Person View, though.

The melee would be better in FP? Bah...

SD was good, but clunky and repetitive. I hope to see them reinvent melee in TW3 and '77. I want them to come up with something (mostly) new.

Not just Japan... there's a world wide market. I used to work as a Bouncer and I spent a couple of years in the Gay Quarter in town. You would be amazed whaat people will pay for...

No I wouldn't ... former cop after all ;)

Has anyone suggested an in-game web browser that links to the actual internet?

Not that I know of but a DAMN good idea.
I use the browser in "The Secret World" all the time (LOVE some of the quests in that game ... most of the rest of the game is so-so).

Witcher 1 control- and perspective base adjusted to work with ranged combat (obviously with new features and modernizations without losing the focus).

Other than that.... turnbased combat. That ain't happening, obviously, but I wish it was a possibility.

What I do not want is a simple twitchy action-shooter/hack'n slash combat like every other game in the market (even those calling themselves RPG's). I prefer a more slowpaced and tactical combat (and more character based actions) - more of a thinking mans combat (and gameplay generally) than hectic twitching.

Last edited:
Conclusion...

"Mix of gaming styles from other games..."

Edit: ...Wait... what if there is a setting "switch" for the combat mode of choice? I mean; player chooses at the beginning what kind of combat style they want. One option for turn based. Other option for "Max Payne" styled combat... etc...

Last edited:
Conclusion...

Edit: ...Wait... what if there is a setting "switch" for the combat mode of choice? I mean; player chooses at the beginning what kind of combat style they want. One option for turn based. Other option for "Max Payne" styled combat... etc...

A design and balancing nightmare from two completely different ways of doing combat in the same game....

Though I would definitely support it if CDPR were to do it that way.

One thing they could try is to try if the difficultysettings would adjust how much skills and stats affect the gameplay. Say, two setups - combat and gameplay difficulty where combat adjusts all things combat (on easy skill does very little, but still something; on hard it makes a real difference; other adjustments being base prices and availability of combat related items, augs and healing, enemy accuracy etc.) and gameplay adjusts everything else in a similiar fashion. Put both on easy and you have basically an easy shooter; put gameplay on easy and combat on hard and you have a hard shooter; put gameplay on hard and combat on easy and you have a heavily statbased game with relatively easy combat but the character is heavily in charge; put both on hard and you have a hard as hell game; leave both on normal and you have a somewhat statbased action RPG that offers some challenge. Mix and match.

Last edited:
Bloodbowl, (the successor of Chaos League,) gives you the option of player either turn based or real time. It works fine either way.

May be that CDPR will implement some sort of turn system in the 'Tactical Mode' they mentioned.

Top Bottom