Combat system

+
Stick to Cover and (troll) regenerative health are worst combination any TPS can have.

This is where more in depth rpg mechanics of CP can actually come into play( along with "powers" and a wealth of options to outmaneuver enemies ) , rewarding creative players who take more risks and show more initiative in combat.

Something along the lines of "adrenaline mechanic" ( which could have been utilized far more in Witcher)...player who actively switches between cover and movement abilities( roll, dodge, quick turn, forward slide, side roll while on ground, dash, etc, etc), mixes with melee, frequently alternates between different weapons and abilities, accurately targets specific weak points, etc...receives strong bonuses that would depend on your investment in skill trees. ( quicker reactions, overcharging abilities with secondary effects, regen boost, double "cast", etc, etc...).

RE VI has very in-depth TPS mechanics( wasted on it's zombie campaigns), that CDPR would do well to examine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUjmW5GgU_c

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454704048

How Capcom got a bright idea to release that "Umbrella Corps" when they already had a great combat system that would work so damn well for TPS online gameplay, is beyond anyone's understanding.

Im wondering how the solo's Combat Sense should be handled, and all I can think of is either bullet time or being able to see enemy positions through nearby walls.

Last edited:
Im wondering how the solo's Combat Sense should be handled, and all I can think of is either bullet time or being able to see enemy positions through nearby walls.

It's just a boost to existing skills, so however they handle Init and Awareness/Notice, make it better for Solos.

Unless they go the look-cool Talent Tree route or something for Roles, in which case, yeah, something neater.

I'd say bullet time based on your Reflexes/Initiative check. The higher, the slower everything is. This was a lot of fun in vampire Bloodlines with Celerity.

A/N is going to need special handling anyway. REALLY hoping we don't just get Witcher Senses again.

I was thinking Awareness/Notice could be handled like the Medallion in Witcher 2, hit the button your character will take in his surroundings for a brief time and highlight interesting things, whether that be objects, sounds, smells,etc.

Then again I can only reference familiar things, maybe CDPR can come up with something we haven't seen.

I was thinking Awareness/Notice could be handled like the Medallion in Witcher 2, hit the button your character will take in his surroundings for a brief time and highlight interesting things, whether that be objects, sounds, smells,etc.

Then again I can only reference familiar things, maybe CDPR can come up with something we haven't seen.
I'd prefer some "hint" from the game that there is something worth checking out, else you wind up with something like DA: Inquisition did where you have to constantly spam the "search" button/hotkey and that gets old FAST.

I'd prefer some "hint" from the game that there is something worth checking out, else you wind up with something like DA: Inquisition did where you have to constantly spam the "search" button/hotkey and that gets old FAST.

That's true, I guess you could have the character verbalize interesting clues aloud in order to communicate the player noticed something without necessarily entering a "detective vision" mode.

Then again I don't really see the problem with "detective vision" especially in this game were presumably it would not be an automatic win button. It would be something you would have to invest in. To be the equivalent of Geralt in a Cyberpunk game you would need, Awareness/Notice +10, Zoology+10, Olfactory Boost, Vision Enhancements, Audio Enhancements,etc.

There's a reason why Witcher Sense were as strong as they were, Geralt is quite literally a freak of nature. In order for a Cyberpunk character to have similar prowess,he/she would also have to be a freak of nature.

There's a reason why Witcher Sense were as strong as they were, Geralt is quite literally a freak of nature. In order for a Cyberpunk character to have similar prowess,he/she would also have to be a freak of nature.
But what about players that choose not to play a highly augmented borg? You can't (well shouldn't) tie a basic game function like locating clues/stashes to something that's optional in the game.

Nope, I'd prefer the old "highlight" what's worth checking out as an indictor. How much you learn, how easy it is to discover it, that can be directly tied to augmentations as they'll improve your chances. But to require them just to know something is there in the first place doesn't work.

But what about players that choose not to play a highly augmented borg? You can't (well shouldn't) tie a basic game function like locating clues/stashes to something that's optional in the game.

Nope, I'd prefer the old "highlight" what's worth checking out as an indictor. How much you learn, how easy it is to discover it, that can be directly tied to augmentations as they'll improve your chances. But to require them just to know something is there in the first place doesn't work.

Well this assumes that the game is not designed around it rather than a perk a particular character can have should he or she decide to invest in that route.

Not everybody should be an ace detective, some people have awful perception and couldn't see a clue if it bit them in the behind. A deficiency in one area should denote a benefit in another.

Yeah you may not notice the keys in the sofa or whatever, but it doesn't matter because you know how to hotwire a car anyway, or you convinced the owner to part ways with it with words.

Not the best example, but you know what I mean.

To me people forget this is supposed to be an Rpg.. Stats and skills must matterello expecially if based in a pen and paper rpg. This was never supposed to be a fituristic fps. So the Best approach to me is make a tpp game where Stats and slill influence everything.. For example for aiming or better control the recoil of the gun. I am sick of shoters masked as rpg.

It's possible to make a great rpg/shooter...but not in a way that rpg mechanics break any realism, like shooting a round straight to someone's face and somehow "missing". Or barely doing any damage.
If they use rpg mechanics to add more dynamic/diversity to already solid shooting mechanics ( like I mentioned, adrenaline mechanic) or open up different tactical abilities, then being an rpg will be a great asset to gameplay. But this was never really been done (well) before.

Actually I think Mount and Blade is a good example of a combat system that mixes rpg/action well without sacrificing the cost of making it a fun and enjoyable action game.

The RPG elements affect things like the speed of which you reload your arrows, the ability to hold your aim longer (Just like in real life, it takes training and strength to hold a bow string back and after a while you're arm will shake), etc.

In rpg elements you could do things like:

Higher dex = quicker character and moves (IE faster loading, quicker movement, jumping, etc) higher strength = ability to lift/use heavier weapons and objects, among other things.
I think that's a great way to make the rpg elements matter.

Then why play rpg at all?... There are amazing shooters around.
While I would not want this to become another generic shooter game, I'd also not want this to become a stat based RPG game. Streamlined ARPG games are lot more fun to play. Mass Effect did this very well and I believe W3 does this pretty well too. I'm hoping this becomes like that too. More towards the Mass Effect series.

Several reasons.
I prefer a story to a bloodbath.
I prefer to think rather then react.
My reactions and ability to pin-point a target pixel suck.
I prefer character development to combat skills improvements.
And last, due to the above reasons I have little-to-no interest in shooters.

I prefer a story to a bloodbath.
I prefer to think rather then react.
My reactions and ability to pin-point a target pixel suck.
I prefer character development to combat skills improvements.
And last, due to the above reasons I have little-to-no interest in shooters.

This is literally what led to Fallout 4's downfall. It became a freaking pea shooter game.

because most shooters don't offer branching storylines, detailed conversations with characters, quests etc.
to me the most important thing in an rpg is the story, and that you can guide it through your choices. gaining talents and abilities is secondary - not unimportant, but it doesn't have as much weight to me.
I think a lot of people are looking for a sandbox in these modern rpgs. having a lot of control instead of being led down a linear path is appealing. that's why you get all these games with "rpg elements". everyone likes something from rpgs, but only a fraction of gamers like all of it.

Agreed. Let RPG's be RPG's to their fullest extent and leave other games in their own turf and areas of expertise.

Rpg's are not defined by their combat.

Fallout 2? Great rpg game with turn-based combat, Baldur's Gate 2? Great rpg game with real time combat.

Rpg's have long had a variety of different types of combat systems in them, this isn't something "new" or somehow something that takes away from it being an rpg.

There are many various ways they can have real time combat while still having tihe rpg elements impacting combat and other elements.

Top Bottom