Combat system

+
Nawwwww ... she's too busty and I was never THAT cute.

Shh. SHHHH. Shhhhhhhh.

Busy.

Fanstasizing.You're Deunan. Wisdom is Bri. I'm..watching. IT'S NOT CREEPY IF IT'S HONEST.

On a related note, did you know Felipe Massa has a very busy social life? I googled his name and got some Formula 1 Racers And Their Lives site. Remarkable. Not only do they track the racers, but also everything they do. Ever. Anywhere.

Oh..subject? What -was- the subject again? How we don't know anything and would sacrifice Redge for even a tidbit of info?

Lately I recalled SUPERHOT. A new take on FPS genre, where time moves only when you do. It's tactical, it's over the top and it's fun (you can play prototype for free on official site).

I definitely can see this style a nice compromise between real time and turn based combat (with few tweaks to the formula of course).

Just a little curio.

Lately I recalled SUPERHOT. A new take on FPS genre, where time moves only when you do. It's tactical, it's over the top and it's fun (you can play prototype for free on official site).

I definitely can see this style a nice compromise between real time and turn based combat (with few tweaks to the formula of course).

Just a little curio.

That could be a lot of fun in an open-world RPG, but I imagine it would make stealth kind of difficult (though you kind of already acknowledged that about needing a few tweaks to the formula). I'm also liking Dragon Age: Inquisitions take on real-time and turn-based combat.

Ideally, I'd be in favor of something like GTA combat (targets aren't required to perform attacks and fighting style changes depending on your weapons) and Dragon Age combat (the real-time and turn-based mix). I really loved the feel of GTA V. Crouching for cover, running and gunning, and detonating sticky bombs at strategic moments were all tons of fun. But dammit! I want the ability to pick-up, grab, drag, and throw bodies (dead AND alive!). It's so much fun and I feel like GTA V is really missing something by not having the option to do that. Maybe mods will eventually change that...

Lastly, and I say this every time I get the chance, but I want to be able to talk with people during combat. Even if it's just simple commands from a weapon wheel that allow me to provoke, assuage, or understand the situation I'm in. It's so frustrating in games that combat is a do-or-die situation all the time. Players are so often limited by some bullshit threshold in which the NPC showers you in gifts, is indifferent to you, or wants your head on a pike. And once they want your head on a pike, they won't go back! And there's nothing you can do about it! Like, in Skyrim when I was walking around inside the House of Clan Battle-Born and I was trying to pick up the book on the shelf but instead I stole a silver plate or whatever and the dude who was in the other room who shouldn't have even seen it happen later sent goddamn thugs after me even though I returned the stupid plate moments after picking it up! And I couldn't do anything! I was stuck with this self-righteous prick with a vendetta on me! It's either put up with his bullshit the rest of the game, try to bribe my way out of the situation (I can't remember, could we do that in Skyrim?), or kill him and have the whole town fight me. You mean I couldn't just open up a wheel of commands and select the one to apologize? Or even just talk with him in regular conversation and apologize? Well that's stupid! At least CDPR have hinted about their "dynamic conversations" which seems like a step in the right direction...

Sorry for the rant... these things really get to me.

I'd absolutely LOVE a DA:I type combat system. I'll determine the tactics and the characters skills will determine how successful they are at carrying them out.

I'd absolutely LOVE a DA:I type combat system. I'll determine the tactics and the characters skills will determine how successful they are at carrying them out.

I'm playing this in The Bureau X-Com Declassified. It's...okay. Feels pretty mechanical and not terrifically exciting. Stop-world-pick-options-fight-now. CRPG offers us the ability to keep it more exciting, snappier.

Mind you, it does beat hell out of the my-companions-are-idiots AI routines...

Also, isn't it your skills and wit that determines if you pick the right tactics? That doesn't sound like role-playing based on your character stats to me. Maybe if you were allowed only certain things depending on your Role, skills, and attributes.

Even then, optimizing the choice is still your brain at work, not your characters.

Eh... I think that works well for Dragon Age, but I'd like to see something where I'm in more direct control of the action for CP, closer to The Witcher. A more hands-off system I feel would make the feel of combat -- especially the experience of using powerful cybernetics and weapons -- much less impactful and rewarding.

Now I certainly don't want to see a straight-up twitchy shooter, either, which I would hate. But truly traditional RPG combat was almost always a chore that one repeated ad nauseum for the purpose of boosting those all-important stat numbers. I'm glad that modern RPGs have moved away from that, incorporating more fun, real-time elements in with tactical ability use, and I hope CP keeps up with that trend.

Also...

Lastly, and I say this every time I get the chance, but I want to be able to talk with people during combat. Even if it's just simple commands from a weapon wheel that allow me to provoke, assuage, or understand the situation I'm in. It's so frustrating in games that combat is a do-or-die situation all the time. Players are so often limited by some bullshit threshold in which the NPC showers you in gifts, is indifferent to you, or wants your head on a pike. And once they want your head on a pike, they won't go back!

THANK YOU for pointing this out. The RP / conversational elements of the game should NOT STOP once a gun goes off. Having the option to try and talk your way out of some firefights (probably depending on who / why you're fighting) would be fantastic, especially when it makes good RP sense. Hell, maybe some confrontations could even have options that aren't possible until after someone starts shooting. I mean, what if you blast all that drug dealer's cohorts and it's just you and your Solo buddy waiting for him to pop his head up so you can perforate his skull, while he is cowering behind a dumpster and panicking? He might have been playing tough-guy (or was just scared of his boss) before, but I bet he'd LOVE to give you the info you were after now!

I mean, what if you blast all that drug dealer's cohorts and it's just you and your Solo buddy waiting for him to pop his head up so you can perforate his skull, while he is cowering behind a dumpster and panicking? He might have been playing tough-guy (or was just scared of his boss) before, but I bet he'd LOVE to give you the info you were after now!

Yeah, the combat system needs a good interrupt/allowed variables like this.

Just a little curio.

awesome i need to try this

It really depends how many characters/NPCs you're controlling.
If it's just one then a Witcher style or FPS combat system would work fine. But if you're controlling a team/party they need FAR better companion AI then most games have or pause 'n play (or something similar) vice Witcher/FPS style combat because you can't effectively control multiple characters/NPCs with that style combat system.

So your character can dodge bullets but the AI can't.
No comment.

Have you played the prototype? Cause enemy can indeed move. Can they deliberately dodge your bullets? I don't think so.

But last time I check enemies wasn't able to pause the game at any time in combat in Baldur's Gate, or start/end turns in Fallout.

In video game combat you need some degree of conventionality.

In video game combat you need some degree of conventionality.

For now. Give it time! Soon, we will have VR!

Good games make forgivable conventions or even better, unnoticeable ones. The degree to which we forgive them these trespasses depends not only on our vision and expectation for the game, but also the genre and presentation of the game. VATS in Fallout was understandable because, well, it's an RPG and they were trying to give you an out from twitch-gameplay.

Which I respect...and don't use anymore.

There's also the fact that in most games you're outnumbered and the AI controlled NPCs react at the speed of your CPU.

Many years ago I bought one of the first MechWarrior FPS PC games, as I recall it played just fine on the 386/25 I had at the time. Then I upgraded to a 486/33 (or maybe 486/100) and the game became unplayable because the AI units reacted and fired so fast there was no way in hell to keep up.

Haven't seen the same problem since on any game I've bought, but it was semi-amusing.

The way to beat an opponent with faster reflexes is to time him or pre-empt.

Very true. Map knowledge helps a lot. The most, I'd say. How many matches have I seen won because one of the elite players timed his map control better than the other guy?

Know the terrain is still super-true in videogames.

Top Bottom