Combat Thread - General

+
A double bladed sword like Darth Maul's lightsaber.
I am curious more about the mechanics it will have.

Of course, that's why we are all here in anticipation.
I must have missed something.

I think we can agree a combat system based on player skills "fits" perfectly in an action game like Doom.
But how does it "fit" in a Role Playing Game where you're suppose to be playing a character not "just" playing a game?

You mean in a role playing game from first person perspective in a very detailed and alive open game world? Perfectly I guess.
But somehow CDPR is being doubted and doubted again. They stressed in every interview at E3 that CP2077 is first and foremost a RPG. I can't remember anyone mention that character and/or weapon stat screens where shown or the skilltree(s).

You mean in a role playing game from first person perspective in a very detailed and alive open game world? Perfectly I guess.
But somehow CDPR is being doubted and doubted again. They stressed in every interview at E3 that CP2077 is first and foremost a RPG. I can't remember anyone mention that character and/or weapon stat screens where shown or the skilltree(s).

Most shooter games are primarily focused on.... shooting things. Most RPG's are focused on story, lore, characters, choices, etc. It all gets very blurry when you consider the fact game categories are often arbitrary or at best an approximation. Some games could really be classified as multiple game types. Regardless, in the case of the typical shooter the combat is entirely based on player skill. In the case of a traditional RPG the combat is supposed to be a reflection of the abilities of the in-game character, not the player.

On one hand the consideration is how combat based on player skill fits thematically with a traditional RPG. It's very possible hardcore RPG players would rather the combat be more in line with a traditional RPG, and hardcore FPS players would rather more focus be placed upon the combat and less on story, lore, characters, choices, etc. It's easy to end up disappointing both "categories" of player by trying to cater to both.

The other consideration is how player skill dictating combat fits with the playable character/characters in the game. Going back to the Witcher, Geralt was clearly pre-designed as someone not to be fucked with in the Witcher series :). If the CP playable character/characters are not like this, basing combat on player skill can present a problem. It would mean a character could conceivably have abilities outside the scope of the in-game character.

Personally, I don't really care. But then I don't restrict myself to a single type of game and enjoy virtually everything :). There is nothing to explicitly prohibit combining combat based on player skill with the aforementioned elements characteristic of an RPG either. Provided the RPG elements, such as character progression, backstory, the game story, etc., tie into the combat system properly. How these elements should tie into the combat system is up for debate.

I saw an 'Anti-Matter Rifle' on a list of Cyberpunk 2020 weapons. That sounds like it could be pretty cool. However, something I'd like to see is the ability to loot signature weapons off of major enemies you defeat. Like say you've gone up against a major enemy who uses a monoblade. It would be cool if after you defeat them, you could loot their weapon off their body and take it for yourself. It's one thing to have a really cool weapon. It's another to have a 'unique' weapon that doubles as a trophy and maybe is a step above most other weapons of its kind.

Guest 4310777

Why not some antiques, perhaps make a sidequest out of gathering them for a collector? No way a Thompson or AK-47 would be effective in a futuristic world with armour implants, but they do look cool.

Could use high tech ammo, and mods. I would like to see antiques

Recoil supressing automatic shotgun.

And the Krull glaive

I would love to see improved combat AI from CDPR in this game! I think we can all agree that AI in W3 in fight encounters was one of its weakest parts and sometimes even took away from the immersion. But from what we can gather from the previews,AI this time around should thankfully be much better and more complex! What are your thoughts on this?

I feel AI has been one of the most stagnant elements of games over the past decade or so. And especially in FPS/action games. You see the typical AI behaviour of them running for cover, popping out, firing, maybe throw a nade. But you barely ever see stuff like NPCs aggressively flanking you (as in putting down cover fire and sptrinting for cover near your flanks), it's always this slow-ass predictable flank maneuver at most. Or actively announcing the flank by constantly firing instead of taking a more subtle approach. Enemies in FEAR were good I feel.

At this point I'm not expecting anything mindblowing from enemies in any action/FPS game.

EDIT
It feels like there's a lot of focus on presentation and that's fine. But once you dig into things it all feels samey as far as AI goes. Style over substance.

Since were are allowed to use Samurai swords...
I want a Blue Steel Cyber Samurai swords embedded with laser technology.
And a full armor set to go with it, with stealth and cloaking abilities. And that little robot thingy.

Last edited:
Spray that randomly changes people's hair color. Or maybe applies some crazy make-up. Maybe temporarily. You can get it only after completing the game once.

@atomowyturysta you are right since there is not two barrels it is not what I thought. It is in fact a Militech Bulldog Compact Assault Shotgun. That thing on the top is its laser-diffraction scaner. more or less a laser sight but it puts up a red circle the size of the shot pattern
Still not that. Bulldog was inspired by USCS made by Daewoo. You could probably go through full list of CP weapons, and maybe score a hit. In one of the janus Games "Night's Edge" (Cyberpunk + Vampires and shit :) )supplements was a pretty cool graphics of a guy with HK MPK11, looked similar, but in bull pup config. That thingie on top is too big for a scanner or something. Miniaturization wouldn't allow it. Mayve binary propellant tank or power cell for the railgun. It, again, reads "Magrail" on thet gun, so, I don't know. Can a chemical gun be some kind magnetically assisted? Let's ask an expert: SUHIIRA!!!

A laser designator with a once per game day use. Fires an Orbital cannon.

A shotgun that shoots beanbag rounds, gotta have non-lethal sometimes.

Hopefully we see lots of the interesting weapons they had in the source books.

Notice the "corkscrew" design on the part that you're calling the "barrel [continuing] towards the trigger system"? I don't think that's part of the barrel. Maybe a shock-absorber or stabilizer of some sort.

Looks to me as if this is a really nasty, short-barreled, high-capacity SMG.
Corkscrew design looks like spiral fluting. Available today in custom rifles. It also clearly missing something where bolt should go.
Controls suggest some energy weapon, too much fancy electric switches that serve no purpose on chemical-propelled one, then again, magazine says otherwise.
Overall contour looks awfully like Kriss Vector, with down-swing breech to boot, just no way to feed it.
Theoretically you could feed it from that mag in upside-down PKM manner, just see point 1 no bolt, and it is awfuly overcomplicating it.
Trauma Team are pro pros so It makes no sense for them to use janky weapons.

Top Bottom