Combat Thread - General

+
This is something I'm really worried about, especially since reports about the demo mentioned "floating numbers" in combat.
I know it's irrational, but it's easier for me to suspend my disbelief in a fantasy setting, whereas having to dump three magazines into a naked hobo just because he's level 40 would be really disillusioning.
Here's hoping that character development doesn't mean that enemy HP (and yours) multiplies with every level-up.
It could be like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or p&p games where better gear and cyberware means you're more resistant and have more abilities, but a shot to the head is just as lethal for a high level character as it is to a low level one.

It would also help if weapons had fixed (albeit modifiable) attributes as opposed to the levelled, color-coded lootfest of games like Diablo and The Division.
They said there wouldn't be level scaling. Every 'hobo' will be a low level no matter how far you are into the game

Now that I think of it I'm terrified that SmartGuns may be end-game items and we'll be required to play the majority of the game as an FPS.
In an interview they said they have those available for players who don't like twitch FPS style combat, so I definitely see both styles being accessible from the start

Now that I think of it I'm terrified that SmartGuns may be end-game items and we'll be required to play the majority of the game as an FPS.

Or they might be available early, but require high tech skills to operate. Eventualy their repair will be extremely expensive which will force player to play Tech oriented character (not Solo) and repair them on your own.

Cyberpunk is not a FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either.

Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. First person perspective is a tool we decided to use for narrative reasons.
No disrespect but people see game where you can use guns as FPS no matter how you spin it. Even if you can play this through 100% without ever using guns people will still use the term FPS. You choose it, you now have to live with it

No disrespect but people see game where you can use guns as FPS no matter how you spin it. Even if you can play this through 100% without ever using guns people will still use the term FPS. You choose it, you now have to live with it
That's because there's no gameplay yet shown to the public. As soon as they will show what's class system/perks/attributes are capable of, people will be blown away.
this is an absurd outcry IMO

So Deus Ex is an FPS?
Things change. The view may be that one now for some, it will change.

So Deus Ex is an FPS?
Things change. The view may be that one now for some, it will change.
Yes, Deus Ex is FPS, it has rpg/adventure/stealth elements but most people would call it FPS. And I do know things change, thats just natural thing to happen, but as of now, people will still call it as they see it, an FPS. And i dont think thats some weird stigma to have, so what if people call it FPS? Is it that bad? I dont think so. Its clear, it tells right away what kind of gameplay you can expect. Its same with VR. You can make a game of tetris but right away when you put VR in front of it, you know 100% what kind of gameplay you will be getting.

Yes, Deus Ex is FPS, it has rpg/adventure/stealth elements but most people would call it FPS. And I do know things change, thats just natural thing to happen, but as of now, people will still call it as they see it, an FPS. And i dont think thats some weird stigma to have, so what if people call it FPS? Is it that bad? I dont think so. Its clear, it tells right away what kind of gameplay you can expect. Its same with VR. You can make a game of tetris but right away when you put VR in front of it, you know 100% what kind of gameplay you will be getting.

The term FPS evokes thoughts of running through endless set-pieces shooting a pantheon of interchangeable enemies with an ever expanding arsenal of weapons. Whilst there are clearly many games that fall within this category, some good some bad, it seems unlikely that Cyberpunk is one of them based on what we've heard. A first person perspective does not necessarily mean you interact with the world exclusively through bullets. The choice to use a first person perspective was clearly not taken lightly, and whilst i have no doubt that CDPR are paying close attention to all the discussions here and elsewhere, they have been very clear about their reasons behind this choice. Furthermore, the reaction from those that were lucky enough to see the game firsthand has been universally positive.

Would it not be better to judge the game on its merits once we finally see some gameplay, rather than condemning it in advance based on a misused label?

Behind all this is still a group of people. Perhaps we can give them half a chance to show us what they've spent years building for our entertainment before we dismiss it out of hand.

The term FPS evokes thoughts of running through endless set-pieces shooting a pantheon of interchangeable enemies with an ever expanding arsenal of weapons. Whilst there are clearly many games that fall within this category, some good some bad, it seems unlikely that Cyberpunk is one of them based on what we've heard. A first person perspective does not necessarily mean you interact with the world exclusively through bullets. The choice to use a first person perspective was clearly not taken lightly, and whilst i have no doubt that CDPR are paying close attention to all the discussions here and elsewhere, they have been very clear about their reasons behind this choice. Furthermore, the reaction from those that were lucky enough to see the game firsthand has been universally positive.

Would it not be better to judge the game on its merits once we finally see some gameplay, rather than condemning it in advance based on a misused label?

Behind all this is still a group of people. Perhaps we can give them half a chance to show us what they've spent years building for our entertainment before we dismiss it out of hand.
Oh I know its not run&gun shooter, its not the point here I am trying to make. Its just that when you decide to make something First Person view, you know you will be called FPS no matter what. Hell even some walking sims have been called FPS and there is 0 shooting in those games :D

Yes, Deus Ex is FPS, it has rpg/adventure/stealth elements but most people would call it FPS.

The first Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are more RPG's than vast majority of games that call themselves RPG's now days. Yes, there is shooting, but you're going to be terrible at it if you don't invest skill points into various weapon types. In Deus Ex it's like aiming with your legs, the crosshair is constantly floating and you don't deal enough damage until you level up. It's true that Human Revolution plays more like a shooter, but RPG's with swords play like hack n slash games as well. Fallout 2 is not a isometric shooter just because characters use guns..

I admit that when it was confirmed I was somewhat bummed out ,but after giving myself a calm down slap my memories of Vampire Bloodlines started to surface and I came to my senses.

I was madly in love with Vampire The Masquerade back then, and when I found out that the sequel was going to be an FP(s) I was absolutely enraged and offended :) I was sure that the franchise was ruined.
Then It came out and when I sucked in (pun intended) the atmosphere of the dark wet gloomy streets of Santa Monica and experienced those incredible dialogues for the first time through the eyes of my character, I was 100% transformed.
I was no longer controlling puppets from a distance, I was actually a vampire.
It ended up being one of my favorite rpgs of all time.

Of course it would be awesome to see my character planted in this universe (CP), to see him\her react to the environment but now I'm just as exited to experience this world up close an personal.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk is not a FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either.

Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. First person perspective is a tool we decided to use for narrative reasons.

Can you shed some light on how and to what extent the stats and skills affect shooting? From the previews it seems pretty unanimous that people are seeing an FPS game at least where combat is concerned.

The first Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are more RPG's than vast majority of games that call themselves RPG's now days. Yes, there is shooting, but you're going to be terrible at it if you don't invest skill points into various weapon types. In Deus Ex it's like aiming with your legs, the crosshair is constantly floating and you don't deal enough damage until you level up. It's true that Human Revolution plays more like a shooter, but RPG's with swords play like hack n slash games as well. Fallout 2 is not a isometric shooter just because characters use guns..
And just like i said earlier, its not about that. It is again and this whole time been just that some people will call it FPS no matter what, and I think they are allowed to call it that if they want to

Can you shed some light on how and to what extent the stats and skills affect shooting? From the previews it seems pretty unanimous that people are seeing an FPS game at least where combat is concerned.

I have no idea how stats can affect shooting in FPS twitch combat, unless your stats make the bullets more magic so regardless of how you line up your shot you are more likely to hit.

I have no idea how stats can affect shooting in FPS twitch combat, unless your stats make the bullets more magic so regardless of how you line up your shot you are more likely to hit.
Mass Effect 1 and Fallout 3 had this kind of "skill based" shooting. If the virtual dice said you are not gonna hit then by gods you are not gonna hit. FalloutNV and ME2 then improved it and went away from that stat based shooting and more to you aim and you hit you actually hit

Then most people don't know what the f... they're talking about.. First person perpective =/= First person shooter... a SHOOTER is a gameplay style... Cyberpunk's gameplay style is RPG (Role Playing Game)
And yes it's bad.. because it's wrong and misleading.

Top Bottom