Communication and the Road Ahead

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this kind of hilarious because I spent 8 months waiting for a Playstation 5 to become available to play Cyberpunk 2077 and when that didn't happen, I bought a Playstation Pro.

All to better play Cyberpunk 2077.

So, yes, I would say that I have a lot invested in this game.

Console gamers might soon forget the release fiasco of Cyberpunk 2077 (doubtful, but possible I guess), but PC gamers will not. They invest a LOT more into their hardware. Many even just to get as full an enjoyment experience as they can out of just a single title. No one is "tapping the brakes" on anything. They're taking notes. And slowing things down based on what they observe. Not just from this games launch issues, but the successes of other games releasing weekly.

Simultaneous development of multiple games from a single studio is also quite commonplace. Not so much on the PC platform, but MUCH more common in the console market space (Sony/Microsoft/Etc.).

We're also not talking about "a few years out". We're talking about multi-year spans of interest for the most popular of IPs. Case in point: Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed.... and yes, even The Witcher series. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. THIS game and it's IP had (and still has, for now) that level of potential. It all depends on how they handle things going forward. And I just don't see them walking away thinking "next one people..... we'll totally NAIL the next one".
I stand by my statement. In fact; I'm tripling down when it comes to PC players, because millions of people want THAT game. We want to play the game we imagine Cyberpunk would be. They could pull the same parlor tricks again and people will rush to buy it, thinking 'well, surely it's different this time, right? They wouldn't do it again,...right?' but they will. They will. OR they will wash their hands of this completely. It all depends on which one brings in more revenue. There's surely more money to be tapped from this IP as sales were pretty bonkers, PC sales were blown the fuck out in fact, but it ain't happening in 2077.

I find this kind of hilarious because I spent 8 months waiting for a Playstation 5 to become available to play Cyberpunk 2077 and when that didn't happen, I bought a Playstation Pro.

All to better play Cyberpunk 2077.

So, yes, I would say that I have a lot invested in this game.
Maybe without these problems to have Series S/X and PS5, some of PS4/PS4 Pro and XB1/XB1x gamers, who hadn't planned to invest in a Next-Gen console right away, would have did it seeing that Cyberpunk worked better on these new consoles (a bit like me...It was planned, but not as soon)

The graphical fidelity of the game is quite noticeably reduced on my PC. And I hadn't changed a thing since I shelved the game back in January. Traffic count is reduced. NPC count is reduced. The game's lighting is horrendous compared to it's pre-patch state. It no longer looks crisp and sharp. Colors look more washed out and dull.
Maybe there should be a separate discussion in a different thread. If this is true, it might warrant a bug report.

It's sold 13 million units but I'm not sure how many more fans think will be sold.
Quite a lot actually, due to sales and things like that. This is when folks not primarily interested in the game will pick it up.

It's the most sensible move. The fallout and resultant backlash of that is far more tolerable and recoverable than the alternative of bailing on the game entirely after "just fixing it" and dropping a few DLCs. Especially given the steady uptick in next-gen console availability. The game has it's problems, sure. But the IP itself is wildly popular. Best to salvage as much as they can, and cut loose what's holding it back.
I doubt they will drop old-gen and I also think this would have legal repercussions.

Too be honest im not expecting anything, i have a feeling they consider the game done.
In software development there's the saying that a product is never done, just abandoned.

Likely sometime in 2022 (Q3-Q4).
That's too late in my opinion. They released the first DLC for Witcher 3 in October, six months later, and the final one a year later. Given that 1.23 seems like the version of the game they would have liked to release the first DLC could drop in January (Q1) and the second one in June (Q2). However, I do also think that these things will get delayed a bit, but Q3-Q4 for the very first DLC is still a bit late.

honestly don't think CDPR imagined the cyberpunk genre in general would be this wildly popular among such a broad spectrum of gamers. It's been pretty niche' for decades. And they'd be fools not to capitalize on that newfound popularity. Especially with a game that for all it's problems and issues at launch, is still vastly anticipatory.
No, I'm pretty sure they imagined more sales than Witcher 3 and the 13M copies so far are more or less in line with their expectations.

I've read the expansion for Witcher 3 was as long or longer than the base game. Or was that the second title?
That must be Witcher 3's Blood & Wine. It wasn't longer than the base game, but it was a very large expansion. I'm hoping for Cyberpunk 2077's B&W as well.

It probably doesn't matter what they say at this point. I think CDPR have realized that gamers feel betrayed, and that nothing they say is going to change that perception. The company is now paying the price for over-promising and under-delivering, and the only thing that can turn it around is to stop promising and just start delivering; hence the lack of communication.
Well, there are certainly those people and here communication wouldn't do a thing. However, there are others who don't feel betrayed and who also just want to know how the game will develop. While those that are pissed off will remain so regardless of any kind or absence of news, the second one will become more alienated over time.

When it will over (like after 1.3), they'll move on, they will find another crispy subject...
I think they will take shit about it until something new, more exciting happens. I assume Blizzard is currently on everyone's shit-list.

They could pull the same parlor tricks again and people will rush to buy it, thinking 'well, surely it's different this time, right? They wouldn't do it again,...right?' but they will.
Please also consider that there are people who genuinely like that game and who had their expectations met. Thus, it makes sense to buy the next game of CDPR. It's not always dumb, forgetful sheep running to their slaughter.

Console gamers might soon forget the release fiasco of Cyberpunk 2077 (doubtful, but possible I guess), but PC gamers will not. They invest a LOT more into their hardware.
We don't invest in our machines the way PC gamers do because we're unable to - so far as I know. The only thing I've been able to do for my XB1 is buy an extra external drive to store games when they're not being used, instead of having to install/uninstall all the time.

As for forgetting about what's happened with CP77... It doesn't matter how much I flit from game to game, I won't soon forget all the BS surrounding CP77, I don't quickly forget dirt moves like that, or bad games that aren't fixed. So no, I won't forget very easily. I'll only have to hear the names CP77 and CDPR to remember. That's the reason I'll likely never buy another CDPR game. The damage was done, even if they do manage someday to fix it... properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom